Who does fish food better: High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry?

What's better food for you fish. A High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry Food?

• High Quality Frozen

Votes: 426 77.3%
  • High Quality Dry

Votes: 84 15.2%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 41 7.4%

• Total voters

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best would be lyophilized food but if you don't have it, the next best thing is frozen food , then dried food.
It's a matter of protein and amino acids structural integrity.
Perhaps you could give them some fresh food too. I heard clams have a variety of different nutriments that can be a good diet for us as well.
"lyophilized". Never heered tell of sech afore til now... Had to look it up. This site is always an education. Question. Why do you believe freeze dried is better than frozen?

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed both and I think that is the healthiest thing to do. I feed frozen in the morning and flakes and seaweed sheet in the early evening. They are voracious about eating all of it.
I do the same.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a point to remember. Just because a fish eats something with gusto does not necessarily mean it's good for them. Anybody fancy a big juicy full of fat burger.

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets mostly
Clams,shrimp for eel/ trigger

Bonus points if anyone can name me the band in the background

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen mysis and krill, mixed with blended garlic and reefroids.

slice the frozen food (not blend), grate and blend the garlic.
Add to a dosing container which sit on top of a Hanna magnetic stirrer.
this is hooked up to my auto dosing pump and I feed 30 ml 4 times a day.

All this is in a fridge that is plumbed into my sump.

I make my mix two each week.

Bowhunter13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank gets a daily mix.
Dry foods are fed 3 times a day via auto feeder and are a mix of flake, a few kinds of pellet and nori with reef roids mixed in. Frozen is fed every night with a staple of mysis and some other frozen mixed in. Then, a few times a week I put nori on a clip for my tangs.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a point to remember. Just because a fish eats something with gusto does not necessarily mean it's good for them. Anybody fancy a big juicy full of fat burger.
Of course people will either ignore that fact or disbelieve it. I would not suggest feeding dry foods I'd necessarily bad but I don't believe dry foods provide the best for fish, variety and providing what the fish would eat on the reef as near as is possible IMO is best.
People will tell you they only feed dry foods but have they been keeping fish to the end of their natural life span.

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all about frozen food for my livestock/ corals. I make my own frozen food and I add algae powder and fresh seafood from our Kroger seafood dept. And I also get nori sheet's from the sushi dept there too. Everything in my tanks go nuts when I feed plus I know exactly what my tanks are being fed

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to convenience Hikari pellets are great. Grab auto feeder and you can give your fish quality food anytime of day. I feed frozen just because I like feeding my fish manually. Heck, I feed my dogs dry food and I feel like I spoil them.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed both, and I'm picky about both

Gurlie1040

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rotate between two mixtures: PE Mysis, krill and chopped scallops thawed and rinsed in RO water or a chopped up mix of this seafood medley I found recently at Costco (scallops, shrimp, squid, mussels,clams). I chop, defrost, rinse in RO, and portion into disposable shot glasses with garlic, nori strips and sometimes microvert and refreeze in RO water. Each day when we feed, we take a frozen shot glass out of the freezer to the fridge to thaw for the next evening’s feeding. We use pellets in the auto feeder when we are camping and don’t hire a fish sitter and several times a month. Nori clip and little neck clams for a treat when guests are over or whenever.

Nereaga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing compares to LRS Reef Frenzy frozen food. My eyes don't lie to me. Colors on fish are brighter. I don't care how much it is, I will gladly pay for it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing compares to LRS Reef Frenzy frozen food. My eyes don't lie to me. Colors on fish are brighter. I don't care how much it is, I will gladly pay for it.
I use LRS for frozen and TDO by Reef Nutrition for dry.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the feedback! We distribute TONS of frozen and dry foods and we are fortunate to have so many quality foods available. Based on the feedback we have received from public aquaria and aquaculture facilities it seems fresh or recently frozen foods have more intact lipids and fatty acids than processed dry foods. I would venture to say this is the reason public aquariums have their own food preparation areas and staff to prepare foods daily. There are some amazing dry foods out there, like TDO and NLS but the more any food is processed there is the chance for some nutritional degradation to occur. This is especially true if exposed to excessive heat.

When it comes to boosting the health or weight of marine fish for breeding purposes I think quality frozen food gets the nod. That's certainly been the common theme based on the dozen or so captive breeding projects we've been involved with. http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html

Fertility 2.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
There are some amazing dry foods out there, like TDO and NLS but the more any food is processed there is the chance for some nutritional degradation to occur. This is especially true if exposed to excessive heat.
[/QUOTE]
Or moisture, hence why dry foods should be stored in an airtight container at all times when not being used.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this but there really is no "quality" dry food.
OK, I said it but I have to explain before people come here and put burning bags of dead fish on my porch.

I know about dry foods and was here when they invented the stuff. I also know about freeze dried foods and ate it in Viet Nam.
I saw those foods go through all the tests etc. It will definitely keep fish alive, maybe even forever but dry foods, no mater what it says on the label is sterilized food.

Any food that is sterilized can be kept for many months or years without refrigeration, thats why they invented dry foods. Not for fish health, but for convenience.

Thats also why they invented white flour, it needs no refrigeration so it is cheap to store and can be stored in the same place we store bicycle rims and 8 track tape players.

Think about this for a minute. All fish in the sea eat live foods, not only because they can't get dry food, but because dry food does not have living bacteria in it that all fish need to run their immune system.

Certainly if you read the list of things on dry foods you will see all this nutritious stuff but you will also see things you can't recognize which is preservatives.
Those are there because as a dry food that needs no refrigeration anything healthy in it will go bad.

Like Duh :rolleyes:

If there are no preservatives, there is also nothing healthy in a state that will remain healthy when a fish eats it.

Would you feed your kids dry oatmeal or white flour? How about if you add a bunch of dry vitamins and minerals? I wouldn't.

Fish, and us run on bacteria. We are part bacteria and need influxes of living bacteria, good and bad to have any sort of immune system.
So if you really feel the need to feed your fish "quality" dry food at least a few times a week add something with living bacteria in it.

LRS food is great and I use it every day. Larry the owner even eats it himself, but not the ones with the blackworms unless he puts horseradish on it first.

I also use living worms and clams (although I know Larry adds a lot of clams, it's just me.)
Virtually all of my paired fish constantly spawn, I never have to quarantine, never lose a fish to disease and unless they jump out, they only die of old age or getting bit in half by a tuna or something with teeth.

My tank is almost fifty years old and I have tried every type of food. I also read the disease forum and never have to go on that which is why I feed normal, natural food with living bacteria and parasites in it in the wet state it is supposed to be in.

One big reason we can not yet send astronauts on long space voyages (besides the price of gas, hostile aliens and no Wy fi) is because we can't provide them with a variety of different living bacteria with the diseases included so they can stay immune to them as all healthy humans are.

I didn't make that up and didn't get it from Taylor Swift. I have posted all about it in the past.
Good luck, Happy New Year and have a great day.

Now I will go and have some worms for breakfast. ;Drool

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back