who else buys brown acropora colonies? lets see some before and after photos! :)

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup im not ready to post photos yet but i bought 2 medium sized (or large) acro frags that are brown maybe 3 inch wide to 5 inch tall nice shape and all but they are brown!!!! the oldest store in town just switched vendors and bought some acro colonies that are a mystery to him. so i took the 2 home dipped the 2 new corals in bayer and counted 10 flat worms!!! worst case ive seen and boy are they hard to see without the bayer killing them off!

anyways i wanted to see some fellow community members photos of brownies turning into something amazing "so i feel better" lol. it was a gamble and now im stuck dipping all of my corals this week. -more than once- ;Sour

though the price i paid aint bad, 3$ more than he paid

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I love getting brownouts for cheap but unfortunatly I havent found anymore lately. Some people say it takes around a year or more for theirs to color up mine took 40 days BUT it hasnt stopped its now forming yellow tips so im excited to see how it looks around the 6 month mark. I did do alot to rush the process though I went ultra low nutrient which brings out color, but also used a supplement that reduces zooxanthelae to show more colors. Anyways I only have picture of one now so here it is, she is much smaller if you notice now thats because a rock fell on it and broke some branches but it recovered fast.
403c2e5db53e6f2ab08c0e3595c518c9.jpg
c7d1b146f4b3c24c19531d23c7d49447.jpg

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I love getting brownouts for cheap but unfortunatly I havent found anymore lately. Some people say it takes around a year or more for theirs to color up mine took 40 days BUT it hasnt stopped its now forming yellow tips so im excited to see how it looks around the 6 month mark. I did do alot to rush the process though I went ultra low nutrient which brings out color, but also used a supplement that reduces zooxanthelae to show more colors. Anyways I only have picture of one now so here it is, she is much smaller if you notice now thats because a rock fell on it and broke some branches but it recovered fast.
403c2e5db53e6f2ab08c0e3595c518c9.jpg
c7d1b146f4b3c24c19531d23c7d49447.jpg

I LOVE IT!
grade a color morphs im totally stunned from the first pic to this!

the nutrients are very important to keep low when dealing with brownouts like this and you have proof! what additives did you use for the zooxanthellae? is it reef safe or a dip? :)

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE IT!
grade a color morphs im totally stunned from the first pic to this!

the nutrients are very important to keep low when dealing with brownouts like this and you have proof! what additives did you use for the zooxanthellae? is it reef safe or a dip? :)

Thanks! It is completely reef safe products made by Aquaforest. Called AF Energy, its a food source with copper sulphate added which is what helps bring out the color. Its very strong 1 drop per 25 gallons but I doubled the dose(do at your own risk). I also dose Reef Fuel by seachem and red seas trace colors program.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another one I am working on, have had it for a very short period of time but its showing great progress much faster than the first one I posted.
dcfe15884852af6646f175d3541647ac.jpg
60359563e3e28f8d560089726c4e047d.jpg
look at those awesome blue polyps! along with the yellowish green highlights! would love to see progress updates posted here in the future! :)

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, because even though they are cheap most people wont go for them. I cant even find them online.
im sure the vendors know they will make 10 fold on those brown frags so they hold on to them till they color up, or the stores (LFS) keeps them in quarantine in the back away from those curious people who will buy it. it comes down to money for so many people. sadly.
(reference from when i talked to one of the other stores owners)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. The only stuff that could be brownies right now is wild aussie stuff... and it costs enough that vendors are not going to be letting them go for cheap. It is just better to wait for them to color up. They are significantly more expensive than a box of mari-on-bases were. Of course, the price difference is enough to keep some of the riff raff away who are not certain that they can keep them colored up and alive.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was already in my system for a bit (top right). A reef buddy told me to throw brown pieces way up high, get them to start to bleach then move them down for a faster color change. I placed this piece in a hot spot, it got very light but recovered well so I left it there.
XO5KxAk.jpg

Month or so in:
5bJKJfe.jpg

Before I broke down my tank to battle afew:

8.2.18WTF

Now its recovering all over again.

I'll have to dig around for pictures from my 100g, I had a few brownies that turned out nice.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was already in my system for a bit (top right). A reef buddy told me to throw brown pieces way up high, get them to start to bleach then move them down for a faster color change. I placed this piece in a hot spot, it got very light but recovered well so I left it there.
XO5KxAk.jpg

Month or so in:
5bJKJfe.jpg

Before I broke down my tank to battle afew:

8.2.18WTF

Now its recovering all over again.

I'll have to dig around for pictures from my 100g, I had a few brownies that turned out nice.
much fuller color! must look even more amazing in person!
also i love the millepora. its a sunset, right?

Last edited:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much fuller color! must look even more amazing in person!
also i love the millepora. its a sunset, right?
Thanks it one of my favorite pieces.

That sunset look a like is a no namer from a freind. Much more orange than most sunsets I've seen. Really like tgat piece too but a very slow grower for me

Ill be tagging along to see how those turn out!

Back