who else buys brown acropora colonies? lets see some before and after photos! :)

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(im just not in the market for them) i think so, you get better luck at LFS >for frags<. its that if i want to spend 100+ on a coral itll have to be within my to 5 list of acros. maybe im just cheap.

plus i have a nano so i cant really buy those 7+ inch colonies lol

I dont think your cheap I think it just takes time to sink in, 2 years ago I laughed when someone told me a 1” stick cost $20 and now the coral sitting front row on my wish list is a $900 frag... give it a year and im gonna see you buying designer frags[emoji23]

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That frag your growing on the bottom left, how long have you had it? And was it a brownout or did you purchase it like that? Its really nice

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard to re color them? 50 seems okay like the average for a mid level frag

Jawdropper is more than that like 1.4k personally I dont think its worth that unless you hook me up with a piece after is grows :) ;)

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think your cheap I think it just takes time to sink in, 2 years ago I laughed when someone told me a 1” stick cost $20 and now the coral sitting front row on my wish list is a $900 frag... give it a year and im gonna see you buying designer frags[emoji23]
i agree with you, i have to many large purchases to make before i can really go acro crazy! lol

That frag your growing on the bottom left, how long have you had it? And was it a brownout or did you purchase it like that? Its really nice
it wasnt bad looking by any means when i bought it. i did gain alot more color since i introduced it to my tank. ill embed a photo if i find it.

What coral is $900 a drag right now? !
Just found this for vivid :)
Back to School Sale until 8/26 12PM PST!
15% Off Coral and Inverts! Promo Code: GETSMART
try this https://battlecorals.com/products/fairy-food

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hard to re color them? 50 seems okay like the average for a mid level frag

Jawdropper is more than that like 1.4k personally I dont think its worth that unless you hook me up with a piece after is grows :) ;)

On some sites they run at 1.5k but Cornbred Sells them for 900. Now the question on recoloring, if your tank has really good stability and lighting, they color up well. But in the initial stages one swing could set back color for weeks because of stress. Right now my wild frags are “frozen” stopped coloring up because of the move. I set up a new system and now the original tank has no rock and is not as stable as it should be. Im waiting for the new tank to finish the cycle so I can add everything and get to normal growth/color. The new system has 3 sections. Halides, led, and t5. Every frag or colony I get I plan to split and throw a peice under each lighting whichever one looks the best later on is the one I will grow it under. There are a lot of tricks for coloring them up I personally keep phosphates and nitrates low and dose very heavy on supplements, additives, and coral foods.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay any keys to stability? I just had a mechanical feeder malfunction dumping nutrients into the system. I lost about $150 in acros and everything else is ticked off. Also got a huge algae bloom

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay any keys to stability? I just had a mechanical feeder malfunction dumping nutrients into the system. I lost about $150 in acros and everything else is ****** off. Also got a huge algae bloom

Yikes, im sorry to hear that. This is what I do for stability but of course everyone foes something different. First is always do a water change on the same day. Have a schedule and dont skip out on WC’s. A dosing pump is extremely helpful as well. I use a high quality ATO to make sure water level is always correct and I feed the EXACT same amount everyday to make sure I get no swings and that my phosphates and nitrates dont shift from 0.02 and 12. I never have any temp issues it always stays at 79. For ph, this isnt doable for everyone but I have two systems connected so when one is on, the other tank is off. When tank 1 is off, tank 2 turns on. It keeps my ph rock solid.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update from tonights pics, its only been 2 days and im amazed at how fast corals can change:) milli is definetley winning so far!
a9c685a8f36ea61dcfc266cf556bbd88.jpg
151a9a686eb3c182104e52c5917b85aa.jpg

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update from tonights pics, its only been 2 days and im amazed at how fast corals can change:) milli is definetley winning so far!
a9c685a8f36ea61dcfc266cf556bbd88.jpg
151a9a686eb3c182104e52c5917b85aa.jpg
looks like my pieces are far behind yours! my prime HD cant keep up! haha what lights are you using again? very awesome color!

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like my pieces are far behind yours! my prime HD cant keep up! haha what lights are you using again? very awesome color!

Thanks! Right now these are cooking under a DIY led. I run 10k during the day and actinics at night. The white the spectrum the better the color pop under blues and 14k. Growing acros under heavy blues you lose a lot of color. When 10k is on the tank looks very brown but its there working its magic because when the actnics come on, BOOM:) after the cycle is done im running even whiter. I think the corals under T5’s are gonna give me the best results.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Right now these are cooking under a DIY led. I run 10k during the day and actinics at night. The white the spectrum the better the color pop under blues and 14k. Growing acros under heavy blues you lose a lot of color. When 10k is on the tank looks very brown but its there working its magic because when the actnics come on, BOOM:) after the cycle is done im running even whiter. I think the corals under T5’s are gonna give me the best results.
at the highest peak i have 100% royal blue; 90% blue 30 uv, 30 violet, 5 green, 5 red, 20-30% cool white. to me i just enjoy the overall crispness of my settings. maybe ill slowly ramp up the white settings. ive been taught that when using lower kelvins youll get more of a brown coral. but ill try it over the next few months when i slowly change the spectrum.i do know that the warmer kelvins do produce higher growth i just didnt know it helped color also

do you have a DIY led build thread?

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the highest peak i have 100% royal blue; 90% blue 30 uv, 30 violet, 5 green, 5 red, 20-30% cool white. to me i just enjoy the overall crispness of my settings. maybe ill slowly ramp up the white settings. ive been taught that when using lower kelvins youll get more of a brown coral. but ill try it over the next few months when i slowly change the spectrum.i do know that the warmer kelvins do produce higher growth i just didnt know it helped color also

do you have a DIY led build thread?

They look “brown” when the white lights are on but turn on the actnics and thats where the pop comes in. And yes growth is really good on a whiter spectrum. No haha I dont have a thread for the lED’s it was kind of a last minute lazy build. I already had an led panel lying around so I switched out the led chips for whites, blues, and UV’s and added a couple computer fans over it. Not very proffesional but will do for now.

Back