who else buys brown acropora colonies? lets see some before and after photos! :)

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a bone head move i would have done! though i dont dose i use to just take things a little too fast if you know what i mean. it was time for a water and well when i was done testing my water bucket of fresh mix , i got distracted came back to do the water change and i put ro water in the tank not my salt water. after about 2-3 gallons i caught on what i have done and quickly corrected the issue. could have been a lot worse but it was actually during my first month in the hobby when it happened.

im glad things are getting betterfor you
I've now labeled my tubes

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have update pictures? My lens finally arrived :) here is pne I have been working on for a few weeks. Tried to get it on here sooner but its so small that without the lens its just blurry.
DSC_0363.JPG
What lens did you get

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have update pictures? My lens finally arrived :) here is pne I have been working on for a few weeks. Tried to get it on here sooner but its so small that without the lens its just blurry.
DSC_0363.JPG
I colored up a frag that looked just like this in my 100G. One of the pieces that makes me regret selling off everything. Looked like a bunch of neon alien eyes as a mini colony. Nice score!

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I colored up a frag that looked just like this in my 100G. One of the pieces that makes me regret selling off everything. Looked like a bunch of neon alien eyes as a mini colony. Nice score!
Nevermind, memory failed me on color. Mine was much more blue but had those neon coralites. I loved it because it was a stunner day or night. Just to share:
DSC_0092

Soon after I got it, 2 years before. slow grower!
DSC_9539

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TongsTenuis2.jpg
TongsAcro.jpg

These two are starting to look happy, got some PE and a little color to them. Unfortunately my tanks going through an ugly stage with algae but so far the sticks still look okay.
i really like the pink tips on the bottom pic!
mine are still pretty much the same color as befor maybe just a bit more colorful. like i said ill post a pic this time next week

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, memory failed me on color. Mine was much more blue but had those neon coralites. I loved it because it was a stunner day or night. Just to share:
DSC_0092

Soon after I got it, 2 years before. slow grower!
DSC_9539

Those colors are amazing! Hopefully as this one continues to color up it will show something like that. The blue begun recently. I moved it up to 500+ par aboout a week ago to get things moving faster.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadphotography skills.jpg

:mad:no matter how many times i attempt taking this photo it doesnt come out well.
you can see in my profile pic that i aint horrible at taking photos but when it comes down to taking my reef photos i just cant. i think it has something to do with the led's i went to the lfs took a few pics and they come out great when the reef is lit by MH. when im outside taking photos i know what my results will be without ever needing to take more than 2 photos at a time. with this reef photography at most it takes me hours to even come close to what i want. the worst part about it is im not learning from my failures haha. i guess i spent so much time reading about the do's and donts of reef keeping that i neglected to research the aspects of reef photography. sigh.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadphotography skills.jpg

:mad:no matter how many times i attempt taking this photo it doesnt come out well.
you can see in my profile pic that i aint horrible at taking photos but when it comes down to taking my reef photos i just cant. i think it has something to do with the led's i went to the lfs took a few pics and they come out great when the reef is lit by MH. when im outside taking photos i know what my results will be without ever needing to take more than 2 photos at a time. with this reef photography at most it takes me hours to even come close to what i want. the worst part about it is im not learning from my failures haha. i guess i spent so much time reading about the do's and donts of reef keeping that i neglected to research the aspects of reef photography. sigh.

I see colors appearing, yeah haha its a pain. I never take picture through glass too much if a pain reflections,glare,smudges,distortion, etc. i always use a porthole.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see colors appearing, yeah haha its a pain. I never take picture through glass too much if a pain reflections,glare,smudges,distortion, etc. i always use a porthole.
its definitely the most challenging learning curve ive found within this hobby! ill find a porthole; hopefully it'll cure my insanity!

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit off topic but i feel like i can post this pic its not the acan i want you too look at. instead look at the zoas. the story is a bit more interesting than the photo itself. for about 5 months these zoas were stuck between 2 lard base rocks. they survived with zero light! and i dont mean that lightly. when i found them they were pale with no skirts. i have no idea how they survived this long in a hole upside down for 5 months.
DSCN7383.JPG

ill try to retake my sps coral pics with blue light. keep in mind that it wont show good color thats why ive been using daylight kelvins instead. but ill give it a shot

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bit off topic but i feel like i can post this pic its not the acan i want you too look at. instead look at the zoas. the story is a bit more interesting than the photo itself. for about 5 months these zoas were stuck between 2 lard base rocks. they survived with zero light! and i dont mean that lightly. when i found them they were pale with no skirts. i have no idea how they survived this long in a hole upside down for 5 months.
DSCN7383.JPG

ill try to retake my sps coral pics with blue light. keep in mind that it wont show good color thats why ive been using daylight kelvins instead. but ill give it a shot

To this day i have zoas pop out of nowhere! And is that the BSA sonic boom acan?

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this day i have zoas pop out of nowhere! And is that the BSA sonic boom acan?
its pretty awesome finding them! im not sure if the zoas actually are hitchhikers from another tank or from the wild.

the acan was a gift from the LFS it was originally red with blue rim but now its turning orange, the dark blue is fading on the outer rim and is being replaced with different colors of like pink green and blue along with vertical blue stripes starting to appear!

do you have a photo of the bsa sonic boom? currently idk what the name is.

Last edited:

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have photos of the brown acros but as always. A brown acro that is on the corner of a shop at a very good price. Actually one is one year old in my tank and is quite nice colour.

20180830_170153.jpg

From above. It is still some more darker I would like ... But I love it.

20180825_172809.jpg

And the new one just has three months in the tank but it getting better every day.

20180825_173006.jpg

Bonus

This one was entire dark green /brown but pink tips started showing on my tank
20180825_172729.jpg

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a few picks to share... I have more but I’ll just post this one up.

926b5149c221c3d0f669bdc0e7f13213.jpg

This picture above is when I first brought it home... 20 bucks .... thought let’s give it a shot.

352850d85476324637c7be9b1a1c0b37.jpg

This picture is during recovery... maybe it will make it??

2dd3e5c305aa665459f4226316979f3f.jpg

Still during recovery and I think hmmm it’s definitely turning the corner [emoji4]

be5a8d868e1130f4e9b9130cb11facca.jpg

Now fully recovered and turned out to be a beauty!!

Total time 3 months :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back