who else buys brown acropora colonies? lets see some before and after photos! :)

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a few picks to share... I have more but I’ll just post this one up.

926b5149c221c3d0f669bdc0e7f13213.jpg

This picture above is when I first brought it home... 20 bucks .... thought let’s give it a shot.

352850d85476324637c7be9b1a1c0b37.jpg

This picture is during recovery... maybe it will make it??

2dd3e5c305aa665459f4226316979f3f.jpg

Still during recovery and I think hmmm it’s definitely turning the corner [emoji4]

be5a8d868e1130f4e9b9130cb11facca.jpg

Now fully recovered and turned out to be a beauty!!

Total time 3 months :)
awesome find! thanks for sharing it truly did turn into a nice piece!

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question is, why are they brown?

What did you do to correct the issue? Just curious because I got my first ICP test back and am trying to figure out how to attack what was elevated (while adding what was deficient).

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question is, why are they brown?

What did you do to correct the issue? Just curious because I got my first ICP test back and am trying to figure out how to attack what was elevated (while adding what was deficient).
i dont really have an unbiased answer for you, each person who post here are in different situations. for me i purposely bought corals that were brown from mariculture sites; the best 2 explanations i have for my 2 frags are that they didnt have the best growing conditions riddled with aefws and 2 they got stressed from shipping and being placed in a holding frag tank before being shipped out again. what im doing is giving it good lighting and its working.

to add:
i think most of us agree on the fact that too little light/wrong-spectrum will cause brown acroporas, also nutrients plays a large part in coloration. i keep my detectable nutrients low. others here have them much higher and they get amazing colors from it but keep in mind that if you once had low nitrates and now your corals are brown and you are seeing very high nitrates then that maybe the issue . also some people have a too clean of a system these corals in this type of situation might end up pale and fade out in color and cant cope with the high par levels.<ive seen this mentioned in magazines and other threads.

I took a shot in the dark here since i am still learning, i think its best to just take my statements with a grain of salt . once you make a new thread and you post your test results there edit/post here the link so i can take a look.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bbcfd796117e4086126c61b749d60772.jpg

This thing is starting to get some color. Although some parts of it appears whiter than when I got it so I’m a bit worried that it’s getting to much light even sitting on the bottom (or it might just be that the contrast from the areas that has gotten some color makes it appear that way).
I’m going to give it some more time to see how things develop and take it from there.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a white frag from wwc ebay a few months ago. It was listed as absolute zero. Well it didnt do much for the first 2-3 months but recently started encrusting, branching and getting darker. Purple and green.

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 8" brownie at petco they had it forever and its a ORA tricolor valida. It was marked down to $22. The tips are a gorgeous blue now 2 months later. Ii cant wait for the rest of it to come around.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back