Who else has a Flametail Blenny?

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else keep one of these? Pretty cool little fish. They're almost like a micro-miniature eel. Mine always stays close to the rocks, slinking around from crevice to crevice hunting for whatever he can eat.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it before....yes interesting fish,...but do u know they have vampirelike fangs...

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it before....yes interesting fish,...but do u know they have vampirelike fangs...
Yes! So does a more popular member from the same genus: the Midas Blenny. It's cool to see him show them off to my clownfish once in a while if the clown is too clumsy when they're hanging out. (they actually do hang out a lot)
One of my favorite fish! Dude has an enormous appetite too.
Mine too. He will not let a single piece of food go to waste. After a feeding, he will hunt down every last morsel. I regularly see him eating algae in the tank, too. He'll eat tufts of hair algae, and even slime algae sometimes.

A very underrated fish.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Bluecbs, the fish in your avatar is my absolute favorite and the boss of my tank. He used to flash constantly at my McCosker's wrasse until one day I added a Lyretail anthias; the McCoskers freaked and died overnight. The Yellowfin still flashes, but not all the time like he used to. I'm currently watching for another one to try and introduce.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he is one of my favorite fish. Mean little ******* that likes to bite me lol.
Mine has never bitten me. He watches me constantly, and comes up to me, but if I mess around in the tank he just hides.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennys have fangs? I’ve never seen any on mine though he does like to bite me lol

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Bluecbs, the fish in your avatar is my absolute favorite and the boss of my tank. He used to flash constantly at my McCosker's wrasse until one day I added a Lyretail anthias; the McCoskers freaked and died overnight. The Yellowfin still flashes, but not all the time like he used to. I'm currently watching for another one to try and introduce.
Ohhh....such a pain to get a decent photo of it....

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh....such a pain to get a decent photo of it....
Definitely. Try using the manual settings, aka pro mode, and set your ISO and your shutter speed. Start with your shutter speed as fast as possibli, and adjust the ISO up until it looks good. If you max your ISO out and the image is still too dark on the screen, start backing off on the shutter speed until you can see.

This method should yield minimal motion blur, at the sacrifice of color quality.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennys have fangs? I’ve never seen any on mine though he does like to bite me lol

midas are in a different genus (ecsenius) than the meiacanthus blennies which are known as the fang blennies

fortunately i don't know what kind of teeth my midas has as it has never bitten me :p

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
midas are in a different genus (ecsenius) than the meiacanthus blennies which are known as the fang blennies

fortunately i don't know what kind of teeth my midas has as it has never bitten me :p
That's what I thought. Someone above posted they were in the same genus and also had fangs.

OP
OP
M

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said that midas and flame were in the same genus, which is a different genus from the "fang blennies". But I swear I saw my midas show off his fangs the same way my flametail does, once.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back