Who Else Hates Wires in the Tank. What’s your solution?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the weight of wires pulling the stupid dry sides off the outside of the tank and waking up wondering "what is the odd vibrating noise".

I'll stick with the gyres and wires run just under the rim of our non-rimless (so I can put tops and run wires easily) tanks.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution is to have such outstanding looking colonies and fish that your eyes do not wander at all to the upper corners or periphery.

This is why some people use closed loops, but they have their own sets of pros and cons.

THIS. A healthy packed tank is a wonderful visual distraction from necessary life sustaining hardware in the water column.

honestly...vortechs are great. Gyres are great. The missing wire from inside the tank with vortechs though just means a giant black wart and long wire on the very visible outside of the tank, unless they’re all on the back glass. This is no more unattractive than a wire in the water to me. With gyres at least they’re real close to the surface.

why not drill a hole through the top of the eurobrace to run the wires through?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear rumors of a completely wireless aquarium setup using a Tesla coil to run everything. No wires in or under the tank at all. It will completely revolutionize reef keeping. There are only a few minor problems my diy version.

First, I had to convince my wife to remove the dining room table to make room for the 8-foot tall Tesla coil.
Second, I have to wear a Kevlar body suit to feed the fish or do maintenance, but I happened to find a great BRS Kevlar suit in clearance, so that works.
Third, my bird’s nest corals seem to grow in a spiral shape, which might be a plus?

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mp40 and maxspect gyre 250 in my 90g. It’s pushes tons of water and does a great job when it is working properly. I hate to see the wires in my tank as well and if you move the gyre to the top, you can barely see the wire. I also would try another mp40 on the other side of my tank to do the anti sync mode on my apex. Or even upgrade to the möbius app.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. You don't see them when looking inside the tank
  2. They don't get full of grown stuff like GHA, Cyano, Coralline.
  3. The pumps are way smaller and don't look so ugly.
  4. The heat generated by the pumps is not transferred to the water, living in FL this is very important to me.
  5. Much easier maintenance, you don't need to remove bunch of cables to service or clean the heads.
Cheers
Totally agree ..... livening n Phoenix I don’t ever even have a heater or a chiller in fact
I’ve had gyre and hated how the heads are getting nasty with time a d the pain of cleaning them.
So I went to pm 40 and run them for 4-5 yrs
Bought some extra wet sides and that way is easy simple super fast switch out and lots of time to clean them

is there even anything without cables yet when it comes to wave makers heaters etc

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eyes are drawn to the livestock in my tank, I don't even notice my Streams on the black back glass, but when I do, I say, "Ah, look at that fine Deutsche kit!"

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an idea a while back that is kinda in production now that you might like. @Elder1945

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that I could drill a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch hole in the back of the tank as a wire port? Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas on how to seal off the bulkhead to prevent water from entering the port?
I’m really just looking for a solution to hide wires. All ideas are appreciated.

I despise the wires as well. I bought a used reef ready that is 7ft long and will be viewable on three sides, definitely didn't want the wires/pumps on the sides. I took out the corner weirs which left 3/4" & 1" holes in each corner. Then plumed a closed loop, the two 1" drain into a 1.5" tee to a DC return pump then back into the tank via the two 3/4". Added a couple manifolds just to have. BEST decision I made on the tank!
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.5.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not like wires in the display but pumps OK - sorry I do not get it. I do not want to see any of this in my tank - solution is here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/#post-2889670

and here and a couple of post ahead

Sincerely Lasse

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have an overflow on one side of my tank (peninsular style but not running peninsula) the wires are basically not very obvious. And since they are black they are even less visible. I agree that I'd rather have the wires inside the tank versus having the pump motor sticking off the outside where it could get bumped or snagged. And honestly I never notice the cords at all, or the pumps. I just notice if they are producing the flow the reef needs.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After decades of equipment and cables in my tanks, this one I kept cable free. All equipment, heaters, etc. are in the sump and our two Vortechs are mounted on the back wall, out of site out of mind. Everything is hidden and natural.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any port through your tank would have to be big enough to fit not only the wires, but the connector or plug at the end of the wire.

I slipped the wire for my powerhead behind my overflow box, which had a slight gap behind it from the bulkhead. I see maybe an inch of wire.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I despise the wires as well. I bought a used reef ready that is 7ft long and will be viewable on three sides, definitely didn't want the wires/pumps on the sides. I took out the corner weirs which left 3/4" & 1" holes in each corner. Then plumed a closed loop, the two 1" drain into a 1.5" tee to a DC return pump then back into the tank via the two 3/4". Added a couple manifolds just to have. BEST decision I made on the tank!
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.5.jpg
Will you at least have the closed loop outputs completely concealed? A little black wire seems less obtrusive and artificial looking that bright red and white pvc sticking out of the substrate.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you anti-wire types:

what are your thoughts on the bright neon fluorescent colored frag racks that are so popular now?

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you at least have the closed loop outputs completely concealed? A little black wire seems less obtrusive and artificial looking that bright red and white pvc sticking out of the substrate.
I agree... This was a photo of everything being tested. (last night in fact) The red/white pvc will be replaced and hidden within/behind rock.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you anti-wire types:

what are your thoughts on the bright neon fluorescent colored frag racks that are so popular now?
Do you see any inside here? A tank should be a part of the nature - not a post morden show up :D IMO

1601058154197.png

Sincerely Lasse

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back