Who else is wanting an update/build progress of last years BRS Dream tank giveaway?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I was so stoked about last years dream tank giveaway from BRS! They hyped the heck out of it and rightfully so. I mean, it was crazy! I was so disappointed when they called the winner as there was no real excitement. I would have been much more energetic about winning such an amazing prize. Now I’ve been waiting for an update. I mean, geez where’s the progress/build updates? It should be up and running by now! Anyway, I emailed BRS and was told they are not doing any updates or anything and that would be on the winner to take on themselves. I would have made that part of the deal, people want to know. Or maybe just me, maybe only I want to know how someone chose to build out an an almost hundred grand dream tank! Plus, I’d be much more interested in the progress of this system than the new infomercial marketing slop they’re throwing up on the investigates channel since BRS went big pharma and Randy left. Still love them but just not into the change.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I was so stoked about last years dream tank giveaway from BRS! They hyped the heck out of it and rightfully so. I mean, it was crazy! I was so disappointed when they called the winner as there was no real excitement. I would have been much more energetic about winning such an amazing prize. Now I’ve been waiting for an update. I mean, geez where’s the progress/build updates? It should be up and running by now! Anyway, I emailed BRS and was told they are not doing any updates or anything and that would be on the winner to take on themselves. I would have made that part of the deal, people want to know. Or maybe just me, maybe only I want to know how someone chose to build out an an almost hundred grand dream tank! Plus, I’d be much more interested in the progress of this system than the new infomercial marketing slop they’re throwing up on the investigates channel since BRS went big pharma and Randy left. Still love them but just not into the change.
I was sitting by my phone waiting...
Would be nice to see what he's doing with it.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably sold everything. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Exactly! That or like the saying goes “pics or it never happened”! Bummer is that Ryan touted how he wanted this to go to a real hobbyist that would be super stoked about winning. I think he even mentioned that if you weren’t excited when he called that he would just go on down the list until he got someone that was.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting by my phone waiting...
Would be nice to see what he's doing with it.
Yeah, I think a lot of us were! It was an amazing package! Instead we get the new BRS infomercials. The least they could do is get the ShamWow guy if he’s out of jail now.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a little confused because if you look in the tanks for sale, it appears an identical ReefSavvy tank and custom stand are available for purchase...not sure if they ordered 2 in case somebody saw the vid and was like "I want", lol

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a little confused because if you look in the tanks for sale, it appears an identical ReefSavvy tank and custom stand are available for purchase...not sure if they ordered 2 in case somebody saw the vid and was like "I want", lol
You know, that would totally suck if all the gear was pawned off! Too bad we may never know what happened. I was hoping someone would chime in with an update or build thread link since we’re not going to get anything from BRS.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, that would totally suck if all the gear was pawned off! Too bad we may never know what happened. I was hoping someone would chime in with an update or build thread link since we’re not going to get anything from BRS.
Wherever you are out there mystery reefer...tank on

*fades to black*

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off who can afford the elctric bill that would come with a tank that size. Not to mention the coin you would have to lay out to stock and maintain it.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off who can afford the elctric bill that would come with a tank that size. Not to mention the coin you would have to lay out to stock and maintain it.
Dude, that’s the thing. They included a ton of cheddar with Route 66 Corals (including airfare and the presence of Ryan and Randy), the same deal with Marine Collectors for fish, PLUS about $20k in cash to cover taxes! It was as turn key as it gets with pretty much ZERO cost to the winner! I could deal with the electricity. Burying an extension cord going to my neighbors wouldn’t be that hard….haha

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They gave him over $20k in gift cards for coral and fish. They gave him over $20k cash for taxes and anything else.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of the gear was donated to charities as the winner said it was way over the top and too much. Which it was.

I don't think anyone has the right to say how someone else should feel. If I won, there would have been very little excitement in my voice. 1) I don't get energetic and crazy over winning things. 2) it wasn't my dream tank in almost any way.

So kind of unfair to say someone should have been screaming and yelling and keeping a fully updated build thread. Entitled much?

Build threads are not easy to maintain and some get very little interaction so the OP gets discouraged and stops posting.

The guy who won has been a hobbyist for quite a while and gave updates in the BRS group. I see no issue if he decided to sell it. Especially if it wouldn't work in his home. Not a chance my wife would let it go in our home. The stand didn't match anything in our house. That was the biggest mistake BRS made. Picking the tank and stand was a big swing and miss. They could have given out 5 $20k systems and not overwhelmed one person with so much junk.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave him over $20k in gift cards for coral and fish. They gave him over $20k cash for taxes and anything else.
I know, right? What else could you ask for? Exactly why I want to see where their imagination took them! I mean, it’s been FIVE months already! The tank and stand were already built and ready to ship, as was all the gear. Only they you had to supply was water, and you got a whole rodi system to boot! The coral and fish were just go and point to what you liked. I would have had an huge build thread going for this thing, as would most anyone else!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve seen him post a couple of times on Facebook at BRS’s page. His local LFS is top shelf aquatics and from what I understand is he donated a bunch of the equipment he will not use with help from tsa to local children hospital tanks or places like that. But I think he is using some stuff for sure.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was a pic of delivery of some items from his post on Facebook. I could only imagine trying to figure out where to put it all!

Attachments

• 0F85D800-82AF-4B13-A88F-E05C609408D8.jpeg
    0F85D800-82AF-4B13-A88F-E05C609408D8.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the gear was donated to charities as the winner said it was way over the top and too much. Which it was.

I don't think anyone has the right to say how someone else should feel. If I won, there would have been very little excitement in my voice. 1) I don't get energetic and crazy over winning things. 2) it wasn't my dream tank in almost any way.

So kind of unfair to say someone should have been screaming and yelling and keeping a fully updated build thread. Entitled much?

Build threads are not easy to maintain and some get very little interaction so the OP gets discouraged and stops posting.

The guy who won has been a hobbyist for quite a while and gave updates in the BRS group. I see no issue if he decided to sell it. Especially if it wouldn't work in his home. Not a chance my wife would let it go in our home. The stand didn't match anything in our house. That was the biggest mistake BRS made. Picking the tank and stand was a big swing and miss. They could have given out 5 $20k systems and not overwhelmed one person with so much junk.
I hadn’t heard that a lot was donated to charity, which is admirable of course. Wow, right to entitled…hey I’ve been called worse! I’m on the same boat as you in that it all wasn’t what I would have picked or been able use. I already have my setup. But, I would have declined the prize myself for that and other reasons (my health). It would have been nice to see how it all ended up though. I know life gets in the way of everything, and I’m not throwing judgement at the winner or attacking them if that’s how it comes across. This was a huge giveaway, and it’s a niche hobby and maybe I’m alone here, and entitled but I would have loved to see how someone put it all together!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hadn’t heard that a lot was donated to charity, which is admirable of course. Wow, right to entitled…hey I’ve been called worse! I’m on the same boat as you in that it all wasn’t what I would have picked or been able use. I already have my setup. But, I would have declined the prize myself for that and other reasons (my health). It would have been nice to see how it all ended up though. I know life gets in the way of everything, and I’m not throwing judgement at the winner or attacking them if that’s how it comes across. This was a huge giveaway, and it’s a niche hobby and maybe I’m alone here, and entitled but I would have loved to see how someone put it all together!

I would also love an awesome build thread. I like all the well done build threads out there. But I fully understand why they don't happen as often as we'd like

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Couldn't have said it better.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve seen him post a couple of times on Facebook at BRS’s page. His local LFS is top shelf aquatics and from what I understand is he donated a bunch of the equipment he will not use with help from tsa to local children hospital tanks or places like that. But I think he is using some stuff for sure.
Hey, thanks for the info! Very admirable donating what they couldn’t use for the local children’s hospital! Kinda wish BRS would have mentioned that in their reply to me. I asked if there would be any update videos and they just said no and that the winner would have to do that on their own. I dropped Facebook a couple years ago when I lost my vision. I did try a search on the Facebook page but didn’t have any luck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back