Who else loves mantis shriml?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one as well!! So excited to see another. Thanks for sharing!

I love your Mantis “shriml” lol

Edit: Forgot to ask what breed is it? Hard to tell for the video.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping i get one in the gulf live rock im gonna get. Ill put it and the other critters in a pico or my sump.
Depending on the breed of the mantis some get to 7 inches long for smashers and 12+ for spears.

The Spears will need a deep sand bed. like really deep lol.

I have a peacock mantis (smasher). Minimum tank size for mine would be around 30g, because it’s one of the largest for smashers. I have it in a 60g setup dedicated to the mantis, because whatever you put in the tank will eventually die. But the floor space is around 35g since it’s a 60g tall.

light will give them shell rot, as well as high nitrates. So coral and mantis usually don’t mix. I seen success story’s of reefers keeping mantis in coral tanks but the water needs to be pristine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one as well!! So excited to see another. Thanks for sharing!

I love your Mantis “shriml” lol

Edit: Forgot to ask what breed is it? Hard to tell for the video.
He was labeled as a peacock but his tail doesnt have the traditional peacock coloring. Hes mostly dark green and red. So he might be a peacock or might not lol

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed this photo from

Dose your mantis have leopard print like this? Or kinda speckled dots almost looks like stars at night?

2421A434-B776-4F4C-B28C-CF69122F8A68.jpeg

Edit: I know sometimes the Gonodactylus smithii and Chiragra Mantis Shrimp sometime get mistaken for peacocks.

I love them all!!! Mantis shrimp was the reason I got into saltwater in the first place, never even had a freshwater tank before.

Last edited:

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I know sometimes the Gonodactylus smithii and Chiragra Mantis Shrimp sometime get mistaken for peacocks.

You mean everything gets labeled peacock cause people don’t bother trying to find out what they really are or they want to get as much for them as they can :rolleyes:

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean everything gets labeled peacock cause people don’t bother trying to find out what they really are or they want to get as much for them as they can :rolleyes:
lol true! Peacocks are the most expensive of the mantis smashers. So they label it peacock and slap $100+ on the price tag.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at both of them hes definitely not a peacock, but i didnt think he was to begin with. Hes a Gonodactylus smithii for sure, looks just like this picture. Thanks for helping me get an id. Do you know if they stay smaller than peacocks? Id be kind of glad if he doesnt end up a foot long haha but i was prepared for it either way.

Attachments

• DSC_9340_ps.jpg
    DSC_9340_ps.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol true! Peacocks are the most expensive of the mantis smashers. So they label it peacock and slap $100+ on the price tag.
Exactly! One store an hour away has one for $150!! Ridiculous and they were trying to tell me it NEEDS an acrylic tank :rolleyes: another store near me has one for $70 that they’ve had for almost a month. Got mine two days ago from the store I like most for $35 from $55 cause it wasn’t eating much (probably cause she had nowhere to hide) but she’s happy in my tank in her cave

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually taste pretty good. I also recommend pliers if taking them off of a hook.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at both of them hes definitely not a peacock, but i didnt think he was to begin with. Hes a Gonodactylus smithii for sure, looks just like this picture. Thanks for helping me get an id. Do you know if they stay smaller than peacocks? Id be kind of glad if he doesnt end up a foot long haha but i was prepared for it either way.
Dose your mantis have the dots by his smashers? If it dose, then 100% a Gonodactylus smithii. Grabbed this photo from Hadla’s link.

Attachments

• 62400AFD-B087-45C5-9429-646A562AC263.jpeg
    62400AFD-B087-45C5-9429-646A562AC263.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 34

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually taste pretty good. I also recommend pliers if taking them off of a hook.
Yea I got to say, my favorite food comes from the ocean. Never ate a bad fish properly prepare and my goodness sushi... *drool...*
1616792512037.gif

I would feel bad eating something so Intelligent, kinda like eating a dog now that I have one as a pet. Bbbuutt, I eat pigs and they are smart so Yolo.. lol

Also how the heck do you hook them? I don’t see a mantis being able to get a hook in its mouth. Where do you catch them at, must be some warm waters.

Back