Who feeds CORALS with hatched BRINE SHRIMP?

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shred5

Looks like INVE Sep-Art has been used to feed corals, including acropora. Here are some published coral studies that used Sep-Art specifically in their protocol.

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So simple...
I grab saltwater from my holding tank and fill to the line. Scoop of eggs and sprinkle around the outside. Scoop of Spirulina the same way. Pop the cover on and wait 24-36 hours.

To feed you can either suck them up in a pipette from the hole or scoop them out with the center basket. I get brine for 4-5 days before I dump it and start over. I have 2 of those so I can always have a hatch of fresh brine.
Cool!
But I think there’s no need to feed spirulina for recently hatched brine...

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just leave this here:
IMG_3187.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the auto hatcher on and off for several years and it’s nice, these days I prefer to get a larger quantity though. While could use a couple of them at some point that is more cleanup than just a simple cone hatchery.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made my first batch of Sep-Art and was impressed. It's super easy to separate the cysts from BBS. This is probably one of the cleanest batches of BBS that I've made. It's pretty comparable to the cleanliness of the auto-hatcher disc. The only difference I was able to collect way more Artemia with Sep-Art than I had been able to per auto-hatchery batch.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquarium Co-op method to hatch brine shrimp. It's super simple and all of my fish go crazy for it. I've been having issues getting it to the coral, but I think I might try a coral feeder.

Stacyod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This works REALLY well.
I’ve used that for 2 years with excellent results

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump a load of freshly hatched brine shrimp into my tank about every 3-4 days. I use an old pure leaf tea bottle and air stone to hatch them at 1.018 salinity. I still feed the fish daily, and the coral maybe once a week. I can't speak on the nutritional value, but boy....everyone loves shrimp dump day.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hart24601 has been feeding his corals with baby brine shrimp and I plan on doing it too. Like you said, there are a lot of great studies on it which show improved growth and health of corals fed with BBS.

He and I just bought a big can of INVE Sep-Art for this exact purpose. With Sep-Art the cysts are coated with a ferrous material, so that egg cysts can be easily separated from Nauplii with a magnet. Hopefully this will make culturing/separating baby brine shrimp less of a hassle.

1619802666288.png
I just siphon from the bottom after turning off the air stone for a minute or two....the shells float the shrimp swim....so I generally don't have an issue with egg shells.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump a load of freshly hatched brine shrimp into my tank about every 3-4 days. I use an old pure leaf tea bottle and air stone to hatch them at 1.018 salinity. I still feed the fish daily, and the coral maybe once a week. I can't speak on the nutritional value, but boy....everyone loves shrimp dump day.
I too use the simple dish hatchery and it’s amazing. Mostly as an extra treat for fish but if corals eat them as well, great!

What I want to add though is about the 1.018. That’s what I did in the past and it didn’t make a lot of sense to me because it’s in the name…”brine” shrimp. I’ve read that in the wild they thrive well above reef salinity, but maybe there’s more nuance to it for babies. Anyway, I got tired of mixing up a different salinity every time I wanted to use it and just stopped.

Fast forward to recently…I needed to refresh my memory on what salinity to use and found a comprehensive article about raising brine shrimp. The article I found called for full reef salinity with reef spec salt. So I tried it with eggs that have been in my fridge for like a year. And, it’s working great! My collection rates are identical to what I had in the past despite the eggs being much older now.

For me this huge. Rather than sweating the salinity I just use pre-mixed water I have on hand, give it a rinse out every 3 days or so, and repeat. Couldn’t be easier to make this live food; no special bubbler setup or water mix. I do keep it on a plant germination heat mat though just for a little extra heat above ambient.

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think either people do not want to devote the extra time into doing it or they don't have a good method down/hatchery that works for them. One of the coolest ways I've seen feeding done for coral for live food is taking the top portion of a water bottle with the lid and using it as a dome over the coral. You can unscrew the lid and the put the live food in and the coral can eat it over time without fish getting it all or the current taking it away. -Raven
I use Strawberry baskets to cover my coral when feeding!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back