Who gets the boot? The fish or the coral?

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back into this hobby 3 years ago thinking FOWLR. 2 years ago started with some easy corals, got the coral bug, and now have a mixed reef with 60+ corals. Problem is I have a couple fish that aren’t exactly reef safe, an emperor and a majestic. So of course these fish periodically peck at a coral. Forget keeping acans or zoas. So if you have a fish picking on a coral, which one do you move? Always thought it would be the coral that I rehome but now I think the fish will get the boot.
How about everyone else? Are you in it for the fish or the coral?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those angels are beautiful fish! That’s a tough call!!! You almost have to plan the coral around the fish. And sometimes that doesn’t even workout. They’re so individualistic. I’m actually considering adding an Emperor to my next tank as the show piece. They are my favorite marine fish! But geez, idk, if it started on a coral killing spree I don’t know what I’d do! Besides pulling it out. I have exhaustively researched Large angels and keeping them with various types of corals. You’re definitely right about the Zoas and Acans being on their snacking list! But nothing set in stone with Angels. Good excuse to start another tank!!!;)
Here’s a really good video worth watching on benthic feeders if you’re interested.

OP
OP
Shufflepig

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those angels are beautiful fish! That’s a tough call!!! You almost have to plan the coral around the fish. And sometimes that doesn’t even workout. They’re so individualistic. I’m actually considering adding an Emperor to my next tank as the show piece. They are my favorite marine fish! But geez, idk, if it started on a coral killing spree I don’t know what I’d do! Besides pulling it out. I have exhaustively researched Large angels and keeping them with various types of corals. You’re definitely right about the Zoas and Acans being on their snacking list! But nothing set in stone with Angels. Good excuse to start another tank!!!;)
Here’s a really good video worth watching on benthic feeders if you’re interested.

That video was excellent. Thanks for the link!!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who was more expensive? ;-)

also Depending on the coral if I can frag and sell locally, just ditch the fish, frag the coral, sell the coral, buy new baby fishie :)

and by ditch I mean QT until I find a loving new home.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tough call for sure. I think for me it would depend on which fish and which coral...

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me I guess it would depend on the extent of the damage and how valuable the coral is. Having some majestic fish like that swimming around a reef tank definitely is ****** but as you’ve learned can have some risks. Good luck with that tough decision.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked coral. Had a couple of dwarf angels that were picking at coral so they had to go.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge number of coral and 8 fish in my tank..if it came down to one or the other..I'm afraid the fish go...to me they dont add anything to the aesthetic of the tank. I love looking at the corals ( especially under blues ) and the fish are just an 'extra'.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back