Who grows and feeds Ulva?

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must Love Ulva

I am surprised I don't hear about Ulva more. When I learned about it, I wondered why it wasn't considered a wonder macro algae for at least us FOWLR fans.

For me it actually started when I put eels, then sharks and they a stingray in my 300g tank. (yes I am upgrading :cool: , see build thread). I had upgraded this tank from a 125g. I knew it would be hard to sell the 125g so I set it up as a refugium. I threw some Ulva in there, nothing else, and added a cheap pump in the sump to the refugium. The water overflows back into the sump. I had some early issues with the Ulva clogging the overflows but Aquamesh did the trick.

Obviously fighting Nitrates in a tank with 4 eels, 2 sharks, 2 tangs and a stingray was going to be a challenge. But my refugium, in addition to a sulfur reactor, keeps the nitrates at 5 even before water changes! And we tend to feed very heavy. They can eat a dozen shrimp or clams at a time!

Now the 125g refugium is full of Ulva. So everyday I take some out and tie it to a rock and toss it my DT which is a 800g FOWLR with lots of tangs and angels. And they go nuts over the Ulva. It doesn't matter how much I put in the tank it is gone the next day. I am actually feeding them a large handful nearly every day. I used to pay $20 or more online for the same amount I now feed daily.

So the Ulva keeps the shark tank nitrate at 5, grows like crazy and provides free food daily for the FOWLR. I have even stopped using Nori in that tank. I am now looking for a used 250g tank to use as an Ulva refugium in my new 1100g shark tank build. And not sure what I will do with all the Ulva.

Are others using Ulva? Should more of us be using it? It is just a "best kept secret"? Would love to hear what others think and maybe some will discover the "Ulva secret."

Here's a pic of them hoping on some fresh Ulva now. Again it will be gone in no time. Then my dragon wrasse will carry the rock around the tank. LOL

ulva.JPG

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Must Love Ulva

I am surprised I don't hear about Ulva more. When I learned about it, I wondered why it wasn't considered a wonder macro algae for at least us FOWLR fans.

For me it actually started when I put eels, then sharks and they a stingray in my 300g tank. (yes I am upgrading :cool: , see build thread). I had upgraded this tank from a 125g. I knew it would be hard to sell the 125g so I set it up as a refugium. I threw some Ulva in there, nothing else, and added a cheap pump in the sump to the refugium. The water overflows back into the sump. I had some early issues with the Ulva clogging the overflows but Aquamesh did the trick.

Obviously fighting Nitrates in a tank with 4 eels, 2 sharks, 2 tangs and a stingray was going to be a challenge. But my refugium, in addition to a sulfur reactor, keeps the nitrates at 5 even before water changes! And we tend to feed very heavy. They can eat a dozen shrimp or clams at a time!

Now the 125g refugium is full of Ulva. So everyday I take some out and tie it to a rock and toss it my DT which is a 800g FOWLR with lots of tangs and angels. And they go nuts over the Ulva. It doesn't matter how much I put in the tank it is gone the next day. I am actually feeding them a large handful nearly every day. I used to pay $20 or more online for the same amount I now feed daily.

So the Ulva keeps the shark tank nitrate at 5, grows like crazy and provides free food daily for the FOWLR. I have even stopped using Nori in that tank. I am now looking for a used 250g tank to use as an Ulva refugium in my new 1100g shark tank build. And not sure what I will do with all the Ulva.

Are others using Ulva? Should more of us be using it? It is just a "best kept secret"? Would love to hear what others think and maybe some will discover the "Ulva secret."

Here's a pic of them hoping on some fresh Ulva now. Again it will be gone in no time. Then my dragon wrasse will carry the rock around the tank. LOL

ulva.JPG
I do! I like the way it looks and it makes sense that your tangs love it since I’m sure some probably eat it in the wild. And people do eat it too I wonder what it tastes like lol!

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I grow it in an algae reactor. It does really well in there and is great for controlling nitrates/phosphates. Oddly, neither my tang or foxface will eat it, both preferring nori. The urchin loves it though - although he'll eat just about anything he finds.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow it in an algae reactor. It does really well in there and is great for controlling nitrates/phosphates. Oddly, neither my tang or foxface will eat it, both preferring nori. The urchin loves it though - although he'll eat just about anything he finds.
I hear that some fish do not eat it. Which is weird because nearly all of my tangs and angels eat it. I wonder if it is because I have trained them on it. An interesting thing to do would be to tie some to a rock and see what happens. Worse case scenario is it grows. LOL

When I feed Nori they devour it. But I was wondering if the Ulva wouldn't be healthier because it is live. And it is FREE.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept it a few times. A great natural food and the pods and bristle worms love it. In fact from time to time I will order from IPSF and restock by purchasing their Hawaiian macro algae six pack. Toss that in my refugium and it does wonders. The problem is some grows faster and can handle me taking some for feedings while some do not. For me anyway. The red, gracilaria parvispora, is by far one of the favorites as is the yellow Gracilaria sp. Green, Ulva sp, is another favorite but pods and worms keep it in check.

Sea grapes (Caulerpa lentillifera) is another one I keep. I take a handful out, toss it in the display, and the rabbit and scopas clear it in about 1 hour. This was also my experience with Ulva. Some of the best color I've seen on the fish when feeding natural vs. dry.

1664560013621.png

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva fan here. I never see anyone eating it but it always mysteriously disappears. Unless it's "borrowed" by my tuxedo sea urchin for its superhero cape.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept it a few times. A great natural food and the pods and bristle worms love it. In fact from time to time I will order from IPSF and restock by purchasing their Hawaiian macro algae six pack. Toss that in my refugium and it does wonders. The problem is some grows faster and can handle me taking some for feedings while some do not. For me anyway. The red, gracilaria parvispora, is by far one of the favorites as is the yellow Gracilaria sp. Green, Ulva sp, is another favorite but pods and worms keep it in check.

Sea grapes (Caulerpa lentillifera) is another one I keep. I take a handful out, toss it in the display, and the rabbit and scopas clear it in about 1 hour. This was also my experience with Ulva. Some of the best color I've seen on the fish when feeding natural vs. dry.

1664560013621.png
That’s great. I’m going to start adding more different macros!

Back