Who has ever kept a Gem Tang? I have one coming!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys we are paying way too much for our R2R service! :D

Congratulations Rev! I would love to have one (along with an Anampses femmininus). Maybe one day!

I have TRADING power! HA! ;)

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, do you plan to qt the gem? I would just hate for that bad boy (or girl) to have something.

Also, keep an eye out for your clown tang. Mine hates my zebrasomas.

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem tang is on the list! Great score. I just picked one of these up today along with a white tail bristle tooth from Mike @nyaquatics
2d3c1b3c6cf18afe1ba9f66f19f536f4.jpg

huntitup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesomeness, beautiful fish! What gallon tank is he going in after QT. The Gem

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations-it is a beautiful gem tang! I have one I got as an surprise 'anniversary/birthday/keeping 10 yr old car another 10 years' present. I saw one before I stocked any tangs. I was drawn to it because of the size and delicate pattern.
My gem tang has a great temperament. She is the benevolent boss of my tank. She doesn't bully. But is one of my fish starts showing a little too much attitude, she will pull them in line.

20160308_124215.jpg

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats
I have one. Had her for about 2.5 years now. Never any problems. Just added a Naso and purple tang. The black showed the PT up for the first day then the Gem did the next day. After one day for each of them all is well again. Plus the PT just swam away then would pop out again, without hesitation.
There's prob 60+ fish in my tank and the gem bothers no one, and no one bothers him

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone. Finally got the gem and acclimated him to the tank. Left him in a acclimation box for about 3 days. None of the other tangs cared at all about him. Released him and the Achilles was beating the crap out of him. I mean not a moments rest. Luckily, in my 8ft reef, the Gem got cornered and almost let me catch him with a net. He's only about 2" so I placed him in my 3ft frag tank for some rest. He immediately ate like he was doing in the acclimation box.

I am not sure what I am going to do. I am leaving for RAP next weekend so I need to figure something out. I was tempted to try and catch the Achilles out but it's one of my most favorite fish.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divide the display with egg crate. You can use vinyl tubing sliced vertically shoved on both ends of the egg crate to pinch it in the glass. A small fish like that only needs about 6" side to side since your tank is so large. Keep him on that side for a lengthy period, month(s) is not out of the question. You could accomplish the same thing in an acclimation box assuming it's large enough for the fish longer term than a few days.

You'll likely see the achilles still exhibit dominance through the egg crate initially, which may subside over time. If it subsides considerably, pull the egg crate and observe closely. If not, decide which is a keeper.

Good luck, Rev!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my tangs have figured out the acclimation box. They're all nice and friendly while newcomer is in the box, then WHAM once it's out. I have a 2 1/2" Gem that is in my frag tank until it gets a bit of size on it. What other tangs do you have other than the AT?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Divide the display with egg crate. You can use vinyl tubing sliced vertically shoved on both ends of the egg crate to pinch it in the glass. A small fish like that only needs about 6" side to side since your tank is so large. Keep him on that side for a lengthy period, month(s) is not out of the question. You could accomplish the same thing in an acclimation box assuming it's large enough for the fish longer term than a few days.

You'll likely see the achilles still exhibit dominance through the egg crate initially, which may subside over time. If it subsides considerably, pull the egg crate and observe closely. If not, decide which is a keeper.

Good luck, Rev!

Great advice and I will implement this and see how it goes!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my tangs have figured out the acclimation box. They're all nice and friendly while newcomer is in the box, then WHAM once it's out.
That'll happen :D

There's almost always some physical confrontation after releasing. However extending the acclimation box/dividing period considerably longer than most talk about has shown significantly decreased confrontation upon release. Don't be afraid to keep fishes separated for months. Of course, sometimes you can't win, fishes are jerks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back