Who has issues with rising CA/falling MG on their Trident?

My Trident has the rising CA / Falling MG problem

• Total voters

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is with using the guides-

E8FB112E-BEDF-407E-82EA-C35B0194394D.png
How much reagent do you have left on these readings and at what point did you have problems before? Also what were the readings when you did have problems?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you installed them and the next reading the levels were correct? If you take them out the next reading are off the charts?

I wonder what would be happening with tiled reagent straws where one is not impacted and the other two are impacted in the opposite way.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This right here fixed my high CAL/MG issues.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same for me

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It also fixed the Mg issue? Any ideas how? I can see levels rising if the trident is sucking air so it thinks it’s adding more reagent then it really is, but it’s the opposite for magnesium. Not saying it doesn’t work, but I don’t follow how it would help Mg.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread since I was considering purchasing a Trident to go along with my newly purchased Apex.

Really disappointing to hear so many problems with these devices and false readings. The Trident device really only has one job (well, maybe three, depending on how you count). What use is a device that gives false readings?

I've also heard the issue with the reagents getting low and the Trident not pulling correctly and giving incorrect calcium readings when nearing the end of the bottle. These issues, and the high cost, are making me rethink my purchase.

I also hear all sorts of issues with the Apex salinity probe, which is one of the main reasons I went APEX EL as opposed to regular Apex. A lot of this stuff seems great in concept (data driven insights into your tank parameters over time), but if the data is suspect the value goes way down. Garbage in, garbage out.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these guides also and am about 2 weeks into new regents. In the past I was only able to get 6 weeks from the 8 weeks kit and at 20% left cal and mag start to rise off the charts. Let’s see how this goes I will post back in hopefully about 6 more weeks with My findings

U

User1

View Badges
Following this thread since I was considering purchasing a Trident to go along with my newly purchased Apex.

Really disappointing to hear so many problems with these devices and false readings. The Trident device really only has one job (well, maybe three, depending on how you count). What use is a device that gives false readings?

I've also heard the issue with the reagents getting low and the Trident not pulling correctly and giving incorrect calcium readings when nearing the end of the bottle. These issues, and the high cost, are making me rethink my purchase.

I also hear all sorts of issues with the Apex salinity probe, which is one of the main reasons I went APEX EL as opposed to regular Apex. A lot of this stuff seems great in concept (data driven insights into your tank parameters over time), but if the data is suspect the value goes way down. Garbage in, garbage out.

Where are you hearing about all these issues with the Trident? I'm not seeing them. I see a few threads but not to the masses per say.

If you listen to the Feb 20th 2020 live stream from Neptune they discuss the drift a bit. If I recall it was 1% of the user base. I'm pretty sure they should know. They also talked about the reagents being in high demand and what could be causing that (Hobbyists testing more than what they projected). If you haven't listened to it I suggest you should - it is pretty interesting although although not too ground breaking. They did mention SKY for 1 minute...or less.

Anyway I'll also say that I'm not sure that the guides are going to solve the "actual drift" issue. I think the are innovative but not the actual cure for the drift. I reached out to Neptune and asked if they say them and they said yeah but also passed it on to the engineers. I know they are looking at this as I reported another issue that they helped with and I asked a few questions.

The actual drift problem they have been discussing is actually interesting because as stated before they had a few people return theirs, sent them a new one, and the user saw the same issue but they didn't replicated it with the unit at neptune. Go figure.

In any case I guess I was just wondering what makes you think this is some huge failure but then again I'm not all knowing.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had zero issues with the trident other than the calc and mag drifting, guides fixed that for me. All I really care about is the alk personally as auto water changes and calcium reactor keep things steady for the most part

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine drifts literally every time I have the graphs to prove it that I am saving to make my case to Neptune’s. My graphs show for 4 regents that only last 6 weeks and at the 6 weeks mark 20% and cal at 750 mag 1500. Some how I don’t feel lucky I’m in the so called 1% you talk about
Where are you hearing about all these issues with the Trident? I'm not seeing them. I see a few threads but not to the masses per say.

If you listen to the Feb 20th 2020 live stream from Neptune they discuss the drift a bit. If I recall it was 1% of the user base. I'm pretty sure they should know. They also talked about the reagents being in high demand and what could be causing that (Hobbyists testing more than what they projected). If you haven't listened to it I suggest you should - it is pretty interesting although although not too ground breaking. They did mention SKY for 1 minute...or less.

Anyway I'll also say that I'm not sure that the guides are going to solve the "actual drift" issue. I think the are innovative but not the actual cure for the drift. I reached out to Neptune and asked if they say them and they said yeah but also passed it on to the engineers. I know they are looking at this as I reported another issue that they helped with and I asked a few questions.

The actual drift problem they have been discussing is actually interesting because as stated before they had a few people return theirs, sent them a new one, and the user saw the same issue but they didn't replicated it with the unit at neptune. Go figure.

In any case I guess I was just wondering what makes you think this is some huge failure but then again I'm not all knowing.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had zero issues with the trident other than the calc and mag drifting, guides fixed that for me. All I really care about is the alk personally as auto water changes and calcium reactor keep things steady for the most part
Hope it fixed mine only time will tell few weeks away

U

User1

View Badges
Mine drifts literally every time I have the graphs to prove it that I am saving to make my case to Neptune’s. My graphs show for 4 regents that only last 6 weeks and at the 6 weeks mark 20% and cal at 750 mag 1500. Some how I don’t feel lucky I’m in the so called 1% you talk about

I do feel bad that you are having this - trust me. But this isn't what "I" am talking about but just what they said in the live stream of theirs. I don't work for them - just another lad with a Trident :)

Urbanknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just one more Trident user who had drifting and false readings pre reagent guides. Been running perfectly for two months now. I also found that the guides allows for use of more of the reagent.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They specifically asked me about my co2 level, which I do have a meter, but that made me think the reagent drift might be linked to locations with higher than average co2 levels.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They specifically asked me about my co2 level, which I do have a meter, but that made me think the reagent drift might be linked to locations with higher than average co2 levels.
Wow that could be something I got going on cause I also have high co2 levels during summer when ac on

U

User1

View Badges
Lol yes 23 years now

Sweet. I bet it is fun. Well, probably has good and bad, right? Anyway - I think that is cool. Sold by 2015 GT/PP after my hip started acting up but a very solid car on the track (HPED - beginner stuff). Very fun car to drive on long runs believe it or not. Now have an explorer sport.

Anyway just wanted to ask - I think it sounds fun.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thread for starters, and the survey it includes. Also, another thread here.

For an expensive device that's only purpose is measuring Ca, Alk and Magnesium, not measuring one or more of those accurately and consistently seems like a problem.

However, as I mentioned I do not own one and am just surprised to hear about misreadings so often. As you say, the percentages may be low...that's sort of what I'm trying to determine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back