Moonlights

• Total voters

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering this the other day watching a few videos and some people have moon lights at night and some don’t does it really matter is it just for us do you not need moonlight at night, just curious to what everyone thinks about it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My big tank has moonlights, others although decent size do not

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run mine at 1% at night with the radions but never knew if I really needed too or if it had adverse effects on corals with there still being light just not a lot or would 1% even matter

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run moon lights. For one I like to sit in front of my aquarium at night. I also have read and watched the shows on coral reefs. Even at night you can see the reef and fish from the moon. Watching those shows you don’t ever see reefs growing in pitch black light. Most of the big reef sellers keep their blue lights on at night.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I want to watch my fish when I am home also I read a paper saying that coral reach maximum absorption of light at about 4 hours. So if you run two cycles you can increase growth because the corals burn the sugars they made and build structures at night ( ie grow) So I am testing their theory. Only problem I have had is I was fishless for the last 60 days and my P04 and Nitrate have bottomed out I put my fish by in this week and started dosing P04 and Nitrates.

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you keep light off you will get more pods and snails since some of them like dark time
What do you mean you get more pods and snails? You mostly are going to have what you buy and put in your tank. And if you have rock work you’ll have pods multiplying.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No moonlights here. Like to give the corals and fish some total lights-out. It gets really dark in the ocean at night. Much darker than my living room with the TV on lol.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I want to watch my fish when I am home also I read a paper saying that coral reach maximum absorption of light at about 4 hours. So if you run two cycles you can increase growth because the corals burn the sugars they made and build structures at night ( ie grow) So I am testing their theory. Only problem I have had is I was fishless for the last 60 days and my P04 and Nitrate have bottomed out I put my fish by in this week and started dosing P04 and Nitrates.
learn something new everyday

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean you get more pods and snails? You mostly are going to have what you buy and put in your tank. And if you have rock work you’ll have pods multiplying.
Pods are more likely to be active when dark instead of staying in dark holes hiding from fish and coral that would like to eat them. Some snails like Trochus don't start coming out onto the glass/top of rocks until lights out because they're nocturnal.

Edit: my Trochus don't seem to mind much though lol

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth of my corals, sps and lps have increased.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any pics

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back