Who has used the Fluval Marine 2.0 or 3.0?

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm trying to get some information from anyone who has used the Fluval Marine 2.0 or 3.0 LED lights in their reef aquariums. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just setting up a 25 gallon (approx.) Nano reef tank. I cannot really afford to go with the expensive options at my LFS (Maxspect Razor....$700.00), and really the only other option is the Fluval.

I intend to put a few of the hardier soft corals in the tank.
Tank dimensions (the tank is a Fluval Vista Bowfront) interior measurements are: 29" length x 11" (average width) x 17" tall.

If I do purchase the Fluval Marine it will be the 3.0 version, however if you've used the 2.0 please leave your comments on it as this will help.

Thank you all.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the 1.0 and 2.0 versions.

Believe me.
YOU CAN DO BETTER!!!!

Fluval lights are not strong enough to penetrate the water for corals.

Do yourself a favor and find a better light.
Check the selling dry goods forum. It's not hard to find someone selling a good light for a good price that will beat the Fluval.

Good luck.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in the same boat as you 6 months ago...

I had the original Fluval Sea LED, 25k, and "upgraded" to the 3.0 2 months ago.
I was able to maintain Softies, Zoas, and LPS... But they didnt grow much.
My SPS and Acros Browned out.

My hand was forced (addicted to coral) and I picked up 2 (used) Hydra 26HDs.. 2 weeks later all my corals exploded with growth and color, and the Acros and SPS all came back as well.

I know your nano tank-sized 3.0 is prolly in the $140-160 range? Trust me, for the extra 40 bucks, Get an AI Prime with a gooseneck. You will thank me for it and your corals will as well.

Although I will vouch for Fluvals' Bluetooth SmartApp, it is super user-friendly and great for starters... The con is it has no real custom-settings available. Very Basic. AI's wireless programming blows it out of the water.
You could easily find one here used for around 160 with the mount usually.

Trust me, if you want healthy, thriving coral, spend the extra $50 and get a quality light.

The last time I posted here about a FluvalSea LED all I got was crickets for 3 weeks in reply. lol.. they are not viable for long-term coral goals.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My hand was forced (addicted to coral) and I picked up 2 (used) Hydra 26HDs.. 2 weeks later all my corals exploded with growth and color, and the Acros and SPS all came back as well.

I know your nano tank-sized 3.0 is prolly in the $140-160 range? Trust me, for the extra 40 bucks, Get an AI Prime with a gooseneck. You will thank me for it and your corals will as well.

Although I will vouch for Fluvals' Bluetooth SmartApp, it is super user-friendly and great for starters... The con is it has no real custom-settings available. Very Basic. AI's wireless programming blows it out of the water.

Trust me, if you want healthy, thriving coral, spend the extra $50 and get a quality light.

The last time I posted here about a FluvalSea LED all I got was crickets for 3 weeks in reply. lol.. they are not viable for long-term coral goals.

Quite right.

I did not want to name a specific light but the AI Prime HD is a SUPER light that you would be very happy with. I am happy with mine!
Also look out for OceanRevive T247.
Great light.
I have 3 of them over my 110gal and my tank looks like this...

tank-pic-jpg.810855

About 3 months later...

_20180722_154020-jpg.810857

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, at 17" deep, you will be lucky to get 100 par at the bottom with a 3.0. (I had it par checked before I bought it because my LFS had one set up on a nem DT in the store that was 18" tall)

You could get away with it with just softies and some LPS, but you would need it turned up almost max, and then good luck with the algae you will fight daily.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from the stock fluval over my Evo (12.5g) to AI Prime. The stock light (not sure of model, but it had the blue channel and white channel only) did the bare minimum. I could grow corals including Chalice, Zoas and even some green digitata on the very very top just under the lights. But, the coral coloring sucked and it wasn't ideal. Then I saved up over a couple of months and got the AI Prime HD. This light changed everything! See below for comparison.....

Reef Tank.jpg

Nano Reef AI Prime.jpg

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the detailed reply. That information will help out. Do you think a single AI Prime would work, or would my tank length (29") require two?

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from the stock fluval over my Evo (12.5g) to AI Prime. The stock light (not sure of model, but it had the blue channel and white channel only) did the bare minimum. I could grow corals including Chalice, Zoas and even some green digitata on the very very top just under the lights. But, the coral coloring sucked and it wasn't ideal. Then I saved up over a couple of months and got the AI Prime HD. This light changed everything! See below for comparison.....

Reef Tank.jpg

Nano Reef AI Prime.jpg
Considering that a couple of others, like you, have mentioned that the AI Prime is working better I will be trying to source them where I live. Thanks for the info, and your tank looks amazing!

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, at 17" deep, you will be lucky to get 100 par at the bottom with a 3.0. (ID had it par checked before I bought it because my LFS had one set up on a nem DT in the store that was 18" tall)

You could get away with it with just softies and some LPS, but you would need it turned up almost max, and then good luck with the algae you will fight daily.
Did you eventually change to a different light?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post a picture of your Tank/Rock Scape... 1 might be enough pending your set up

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get by with 1, the footprint is about 18x18...

The trick is going to be how you scape, and planning your coral placements accordingly based on the 18" you have to work with... Orrrrrr, you skip sps and acro and go just softies. shrooms, zoas, lps, and bring the light up higher...

There is always the option of cheap Chinese LED's from amazon or even a Metal Halide.

@Dana Riddle .. suggestions?

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get by with 1, the footprint is about 18x18...

The trick is going to be how you scape, and planning your coral placements accordingly based on the 18" you have to work with... Orrrrrr, you skip sps and acro and go just softies. shrooms, zoas, lps, and bring the light up higher...

There is always the option of cheap Chinese LED's from amazon or even a Metal Halide.

@Dana Riddle .. suggestions?
Great Info! Thanks. (and thank you for the video).

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested the Fluval Marine 3.0 light, but at 32 watts, I tend to think that it would be suitable only for the most adaptable corals. I also believe that a Chinese black box (built-in clock/timer with at least two channel programming) would be a good option. In addition, get some good pumps for water motion - this is often overlooked. These pumps don't have to be the super-duper propeller pumps - I saw a magnificent Acropora tank years ago that used 6 Maxi-Jet 1000 pumps.

OP
OP
N

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested the Fluval Marine 3.0 light, but at 32 watts, I tend to think that it would be suitable only for the most adaptable corals. I also believe that a Chinese black box (built-in clock/timer with at least two channel programming) would be a good option. In addition, get some good pumps for water motion - this is often overlooked. These pumps don't have to be the super-duper propeller pumps - I saw a magnificent Acropora tank years ago that used 6 Maxi-Jet 1000 pumps.
Hi Dana, Thank you. I think I've narrowed my choice down to either the AI Prime, or the Kessil. As to the water flow I've settled on the Icecap Gyre 1000, which is built for Nano tanks and will fit at one end of my tank (it's 8" wide and I have 9.5" width at the ends). The water filter is a Fluval 206, (you can see that the return line is already plumbed). Heater is a Hydor ETH 200 inline. I'll be posting a build thread a little later on this afternoon...or late this evening with photos.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dana, Thank you. I think I've narrowed my choice down to either the AI Prime, or the Kessil. As to the water flow I've settled on the Icecap Gyre 1000, which is built for Nano tanks and will fit at one end of my tank (it's 8" wide and I have 9.5" width at the ends). The water filter is a Fluval 206, (you can see that the return line is already plumbed). Heater is a Hydor ETH 200 inline. I'll be posting a build thread a little later on this afternoon...or late this evening with photos.
Let us know if you have questions!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the recommendation for a black box... a single Prime or Kessil can have shadowing issues if you are successful and stuff grows and thrives. A cheaper unit like a Mars is fine, or you can get a better one with ReefBreeders or SB Reef.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back