Who here has built their own glass tank?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has built their own tank? It seems fairly straight forward. I'm looking for a new tank but finding exactly what I want has proven difficult or ultra expensive. Everything either has a giant overflow box or the wrong dimensions or an ugly stand, etc.

If you did, how has it worked? What did it cost?

Thanks

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet but I'm planning on an 8mm Tempered Low Iron glass ~45 gal lagoon tank measuring 120cm x 45cm x 30cm. I've done TONS of research on working with glass as well as talking with a local wholesaler. I am also looking into shipping glass from China using Alibaba to get in touch with wholesalers there. The cost to get local glass will exclude shipping (and have a better chance at being able to have them bevel the edges for you) I can't help you estimate your costs as you need to account for glass thickness as well as available wholesalers. The glass you use will be thicker the taller you make the tank (unless you plan on including a structural euro brace. Hope this helps!

Edit: It seems I didn't give you a ballpark of what my setup looks like it'll cost and that is ~ 250-300 for just the 5 pieces of glass.

Cheers,

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've made a bunch of small tanks over the years.
Last one was 30" x 20" x 20" with 3/8" starfire glass.
A friend ( was also a reef keeper ) that worked for a glass company.
This was about 10 years ago and the glass was about $280.
Used Momentive RTV 103.
Before that made about a dozen small tanks in the 20-25 gallon range for freshwater.
Just used plain aquarium silicone. All Glass brand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back