Who is reefing in SWVA?

ss7

Guinea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an RC name from the past.. glad to hear you're still in the hobby! You (or a friend) have any interest in a Plum Crazy mini colony donation?

manderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pretty much out of it for a few years (had a very neglected tank) but got serious back into it ~2 years ago. my tank is pretty full right now (small apt, down to just a 25 lagoon).

Hoping to get a crawl going soon, i'm sure someone will be delighted to trade for it :)

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's everyone doing? Tanks still running? I was pretty lazy about the hobby the past 8 months or so, but I'm definitely more engaged now. Hope everyone is doing well!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here! I just picked up a bunch of Black Friday frags at the LFS, but I'm running out of room in my IM Fusion 40. Getting ready to setup a 10 gallon budget build soon though.

What all did you pick up from TSA?

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm in Roanoke. Got back into the salty side of the hobby this past summer. Had been 16 years or so since my last saltwater tank. Kept busy with Freshwater though.

Currently have a red sea max nano and am building a 40 breeder setup. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40b-build-gonna-try-to-take-my-time-with-this.875383/
Bought the nano used just to get my feet wet and see how it went. The glass is scratched to hell by previous owner, but got it for a good price.

Glad to see there are others in the area.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm in Roanoke. Got back into the salty side of the hobby this past summer. Had been 16 years or so since my last saltwater tank. Kept busy with Freshwater though.

Currently have a red sea max nano and am building a 40 breeder setup. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40b-build-gonna-try-to-take-my-time-with-this.875383/
Bought the nano used just to get my feet wet and see how it went. The glass is scratched to hell by previous owner, but got it for a good price.

Glad to see there are others in the area.
Great to see another reefer in Roanoke! Welcome back to the hobby! Hopefully we can get some more activity going on the forums here. It's been pretty slow for a while, but I know there are a bunch of reefers in SWVA.

Awesome build you have going! Did you drill that 40 breeder yourself?

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see another reefer in Roanoke! Welcome back to the hobby! Hopefully we can get some more activity going on the forums here. It's been pretty slow for a while, but I know there are a bunch of reefers in SWVA.

Awesome build you have going! Did you drill that 40 breeder yourself?
Thanks!

Yes I did. Bought some bits from Amazon. They aren't great bits, but they get the job done.
Drilled a bunch of 10's and 20's for my Freshwater rack for doing water changes.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the roanoke area interested in some ulva or red ogo algae? I need to trim what's in my fuge. I've heard tangs and other herbivores will eat it.
Hmm, I might be interested. How does it do for you from a nutrient export standpoint? I'm running chaeto in my small fuge and it's struggling a bit, so it might be worth trying a different algae.

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ulva grows pretty quick. Nitrates have been staying pretty steady. Right now my tank is still fairly new and not heavily stocked.
The red ogo grows well too plus it looks nice.
Let me know if you want some and we can meet somewhere.

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in it too! Me and the kids have a great time down here in Martinsville. Always looking for new gorgs and softies to add ti the collection. Nps too! Look forward to possibly meeting up someday lol
20220305_142519.jpg

BigBundee69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on here still active? im in Bristol looking to reach out and link up with some fellow reefers on tips tricks trades and everything :D

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still lurking from Roanoke, but definitely not as active with my tanks as I'd like to be. Work/life has gotten in the way, but my two tanks (see my signature) are both still kicking.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back in the saddle again! I'm in the process of revamping both of my tanks. My IM40 just hit the 4 year mark and my 10 gallon budget build is just over a year old. Hope everyone had a great holiday season. Happy New Year!

20221227_165906.jpg

20221227_165920.jpg

20221227_170017.jpg

20221227_170026.jpg

takey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I moved to Roanoke abt a year and a half ago and got into reef tanks about five months ago. I currently have two clowns, a tux urchin, and a couple of snails and corals. It's been an interesting adventure since I am well-versed in freshwater tanks, but overall, I'm glad I got into Reef Tanks! I'm glad there are some local reefers in the area and looking forward to hopefully setting up a meet/swap.
Reef Tank pic.jpg

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get a thread started where SWVA reefers can start networking since our forum group has been quiet for a while! Anyone who's out there in SWVA tell us your tank size, type, etc. and where you're located!
I will get us rolling!
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef, this is my fourth tank throughout the years.
Located in Christiansburg VA
Hello! New to the hobby, located in Blacksburg since I’m a student at Tech. I have a 15 gallon mixed reef tank. It’s so nice to see someone else in the hobby so close by!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back