Who is the boss of your tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think by looking at the tank it was the blue eye kole tang.....

Chases everyone, swims aggressively around the tank, etc. You know typical tang behavior.

Every once in a while the yellow coris wrasse lets him know who the real boss is.
This is the same with my 4’ tank!
My Blue Eye Kole will get into the most fights and show dominance but the instant the foxface even gets into sight he stops.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now this black cap basslet thinks it is. For the last couple weeks it has been dumping sand on the clownfish. I just cleared it off yesterday, so this what it’s back up to already.. There is quite a tunnel being formed under one of the larger rocks in the tank, I have caught it swimming clear through to the other side, completely under sand/rock. Pretty impressive for a fish

122F72FB-67DF-46D4-85FB-28F38D0EF541.jpeg

If you had asked me to make a list of the fish I expected to see in this thread, a black cap basslet would've been at the bottom with firefish. That's crazy

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my 120 it was my convict tang. Its in a 500g system now and is enjoying life. The 120 got small real quick for it.
20220221_165655.jpg
These are such beautiful fish!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Boss Or Bully ?
Seems to be a powder blue tang that has gone from 2"to 6" in a few months

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange Shoulder Tang big time. Spends his days ripping apart the sand bed, Flipping snails for the Malinarus to eat and throw's coral frags all over. His days are numbered!

Mike Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my Coral Beauty is the Boss fish in my 80Gal /300 liter tank. When introducing new fish I put them in a net breeder cage into the tank for a couple of days and then release them into a dimly lit environment and this seems to work. I think the fact that the original inhabitants get a smell/feeling/sense (?) of the new fish and when they are released everyone has a look and then leaves them alone.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emporer Angelfish is the boss of my 180g reef tank, hence his name is El Heffe. This guy actually makes grunting noises - audible across the room when he is bossing some of his tank mates around - especially the two yellow tangs he fights with over nori.
DSC_1236.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say as all of my fish can dominate at one time or another, but I would say if it came down to it that my One Spot Foxface would probably be the one since he is the biggest guy in the tank. My Coral Beauty and Blue Star Leopard aka Divided Leopard Wrasse can be terrors to new additions though. Thankfully my new Pencil Wrasse is a determined bugger and he has managed to find his way to hold his own against the rest. When my Foxface was giving him a hard time, he still went over and ripped a piece of reef frenzy out of his mouth during feeding time. Definitely a Wrasse to the core. :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back