Who is the culprit biting tips of my torch coral?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns LOVE my torch. They are always within a foot of it if not in direct contact with it. Any fish that makes the mistake of coming near it catches the females anger too. Funny watching a little ocellaris chase a Tang away.

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1 vote for a shrimp

I caught a peppermint shrimp in the act of snipping the tips of my torch off. Just the tips, and it didn't even eat them!

I immediately tore apart the tank and my African cichlids received a tasty snack

Unfortunately my torch just melted away after that...

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any coral nippers but my friend has had a tang not sure the exact type. He said that feeding sponge stopped the nipping. He had a similar looking issue. Hope that helps.
What’s a feeding sponge? Never heard of it, but would sheets of nori or red gracilaria suffice?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have good flow? Sometimes when a nice long stinger is sent out, they tend to get twisted in the flow and will break off. That’s what it usually looks like after...
Flow was moderate before. I rearranged my power heads last night (from side glass to back panel) and flow hit my torch more. Dialed back the settings. I’ve seen those breakages before, but my Duncan’s are in low flow area (under powerhead)
My clowns LOVE my torch. They are always within a foot of it if not in direct contact with it. Any fish that makes the mistake of coming near it catches the females anger too. Funny watching a little ocellaris chase a Tang away.
My clowns are less bold. They host the corner with the back panel and side pane. Never been attacked by my clowns versus prior experience with different clowns. Glad they aren’t so vicious!
+1 vote for a shrimp

I caught a peppermint shrimp in the act of snipping the tips of my torch off. Just the tips, and it didn't even eat them!

I immediately tore apart the tank and my African cichlids received a tasty snack

Unfortunately my torch just melted away after that...
I will have to see. They honestly don’t get that much food, so I wonder if they are getting desperate.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I identified the culprit red handed. It was the blue tang! Managed to catch him and get him out of the tank i.e. bring back to LFS. I hope my yellow tang didn't learn bad habits but no new nips today.

Blue tang was definitely more on the antsy aggressive side. He was a dashy fish, easily spooked, showing aggression to other fish, and overall complicated the vibe in the tank. I should have known better that a 55G was just too small for the blue tang, even juvenile. ;Facepalm I suspect it was tank size stress, so I hope he finds a better home soon enough. The rest of the fish are WAY calmer now and even my shrimps are coming out more.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo took the entire dorsal fin off my mandarin ... eventually killing him. I would not put it passed the hippo ... I would say ... if you can ... set a camera up and watch

———

Oh yup you’ve got him sorry just saw the last post

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts and experiences. Corals are recovering and no new injuries after blue tangs dismissal. Glad that was sorted out quickly!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back