Who is using crossflow gyre type powerheads? Which one do you like best?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which gyre type powerheads are you guys using? I know there are at least a few brands on the market. Which ones do you like best? I'm thinking about adding some more flow to my cube...

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect gyres. I found they last seemingly forever if you don’t take them apart for maintenance Just regular vinegar baths with the completely assembled pump.

I definitely don’t take them apart ever, cause they don’t go back together the same way.....

Granted I’m not the most mechanical guy but they have lasted for years with my approach

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for more input

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they made smaller/cheaper ones for nano tanks. Icecap 2k minimum does 700GPH but I can't justify spending $200 on it. It would be like buying a Ferrari and going 45mph all the time...
I have a 40b and want one so bad , but it’s like I can buy two wave maker for 25$ rather than 200. The controllability would be nice tho

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefWave 45 on my Reefer 525xl.

Pros:
- Only need 2 for the tank
- Controller is awesome
- Easy to disassemble and clean

Cons:
- Performance goes way down if they are not cleaned regularly
- Small snails can gum it up frequently

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 maxspect Gyres and they made such a difference compared to having so many Mp40. With a option of back-up batteries option just makes it totally worth it to me. Have mines set in LTC ( lunar tide cycle) to randomize my flow.

Debating on adding 2 more on my new build

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect gyres. I found they last seemingly forever if you don’t take them apart for maintenance Just regular vinegar baths with the completely assembled pump.

I definitely don’t take them apart ever, cause they don’t go back together the same way.....

Granted I’m not the most mechanical guy but they have lasted for years with my approach
this.
I'm running 2 maxspect 230's.
be 3 years in august. no issues.
I also do not take them apart for cleaning.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 IceCap 4Ks on my standard 120, one on either side. I really like them.

Anecdotally, I am able to get more overall water movement in my tank, with my sand bed staying in tact, than with anything else. Both LPS and SPS are happy.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with the jebao current gen ones?
i have multiple scp-120 scp-90 & scp-70 they work great & i have had no issues with them at all, but i can hear them run setting on the couch from about 8ft away. not sure how the noise would compare to the more expensive ones but if i had a complaint it would be the noise.

Last edited:

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they made smaller/cheaper ones for nano tanks. Icecap 2k minimum does 700GPH but I can't justify spending $200 on it. It would be like buying a Ferrari and going 45mph all the time...

Just get a 1k and you do know you can take off either side of one an just run one side.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b and want one so bad , but it’s like I can buy two wave maker for 25$ rather than 200. The controllability would be nice tho

Just find a used 1k I've been running one for over 2 yours now. Still no problems. And you can find used 1k gyres for around $100.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just find a used 1k I've been running one for over 2 yours now. Still no problems. And you can find used 1k gyres for around $100.

Why when a brand new 2K is only $109?

harper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 jebao scp-90, 1 scp-70, 2 icecap 2ks.

The scp-90s are nice, have them linked to alternate on their longest setting. Not very loud. In that I can not hear them over other equipment. My vortech mp10s are louder on pulse. You do not get the amount of programming that the icecaps allow. So course the setting and that's it, no changes in flow patterns based on time. They do have a feed button. Both units would go into error when I first set then up. I was trying to run then at the slowest speed. But they would stall. So I ran then each at full blast for a day and they have been fine ever since at running on the slowest speed. Seems there is some extra plastic from the mold leftover after manufacturing that needs to wear off before they run smoothly. You can see it.

My scp-70 was just too loud. It made a howling sound. Ended up replacing with the icecaps. Use it now to mix salt. Took it apart to try to fix but nothing worked.

The icecap 2ks are ok. They are pretty quiet, I run then really high on the tank so I'm going to hear something. Originally I was running then so that they would alternate forward and reverse. This really makes a great flow in the aquarium and stirs up the detritus. But one of the pumps was to loud in reverse. Only run then forward now. The noisy unit I had positioned very close to the side wall which if it was lower in the tank and further away from the wall the noise probably would have been more tolerable. Programmability and ability to run these in reverse make them probably the better choice than the jebao at their current pricing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back