Who is using crossflow gyre type powerheads? Which one do you like best?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two of the jebao scp150 and they seem to work fine for me. I have them set to alternate turning on so it makes a fairly nice wave in my tank. I'm sure they're not the best but for the price they're pretty good.

Cprivi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for about a month now, wanted to try them. So far very happy with it.
I got a CP-90 a couple weeks ago and it shredded a cleaner shrimp that I’ve had for years. I tried to install a DIY Nem guard made of 7 mesh plastic but it rendered the power head useless. I should have gone with the CP-120 but I thought it would be too much for my 60 gallon DT.

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been kicking around the idea of replacing my MP40qd's with a couple of gyres. Standard dimension 120g. Any reccomendations?

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyre 350 on my 225 I clean them about every three months taking them apart and using toothbrush to clean in sink then reassemble them and been running in great for almost a year. Only complaint is I’ve been through 3 controllers. But in their defense they replaced them without any problems so I can’t be to upset. But think they should make a better controller for dang sure. Cause there 5ft away from the tank so no chance of water damage

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the IceCap 2k for my 120. They provide plenty of power, I chose these because they both use the same controller. At the time, everything I looked at, each gyre used its own controller and I didn’t want that. These are easy to clean and do a wonderful job.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running my Nero 5 on my 120 gallon for a few months, the gyre-literally-went in the garbage. The Nero pushes lots of water, is dead silent and maintenance free. Set it and forget it!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why when a brand new 2K is only $109?
Just for the pump only, you still need the controller which is $110.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Seahorse tank I run 2 Maxpect 330 very low love it.
On my new build 150 SCA running 2 Maxspect 330 on Lunar with 2 MP40 and 2 MP10
I love the fact that you can run 2 Maxspects with one power brick

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on trying out the xt350s on my new tank I'm setting up now. I'll reply back with how they compare to my Icecap Gyre 2Ks.

Last edited:

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why when a brand new 2K is only $109?

Read what the person I was replying to before commenting next time please.. and others have already pointed out you didn't even read what your own link says (pump only).

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running my Nero 5 on my 120 gallon for a few months, the gyre-literally-went in the garbage. The Nero pushes lots of water, is dead silent and maintenance free. Set it and forget it!

After running Nero 5 for about a year and a half, I now need to clean it once a quarter or so, or it would become noise and push a lot less flow. Basically the same level of maintenance needed when I had the maxspect gyre. I don't believe any pump is maintenance free.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read what the person I was replying to before commenting next time please.. and other have already pointed out you didn't even read what your own link says (pump only).
YOU also didn't bother reading what I said previously as well in that if you have a 2K already then the existing controller can control the new pump as well. Also a used controller is not that expensive. But I digress...

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU also didn't bother reading what I said previously as well in that if you have a 2K already then the existing controller can control the new pump as well. Also a used controller is not that expensive. But I digress...

Your right i didn't because I wasn't replying to you. So.. also the power supply for the 1ks doesn't put out the the same power as the 2ks so if you run a 2k off a 1k power supply max really isn't max..

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm using the Maspect Gyre 330's... on both sides of my reefer alternating different times than each other.

I can tell you, the flow and water agitation you get from these pumps... unbelievable.

I'm running 60% only

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefWave 45 x 2 on back wall of IM 100 EXT...love them!
How are those? Gonna get one of those for my new tank. Seems solid. Is it quiet and are the different adjustments very good and precise? Lots of flow?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back