Who killed Cherub Pygmy Angelfish??

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25G long tank. Royal Gramma, Bangii Cardinal & Cherub Pygmy Angelfish. 1 large Fire Shrimp 2xRFA, 6xZoas, 1 Paly, Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn, micromussa & Candy cane. Fed fish & cherub Pygmy angelfish was eating fine & acting normal. No signs of bullying or aggression. Checked in an hour later CUC + shrimp was chowing down on Charlie. (Pygmy had a blue Charlie Chaplin mustache). Any ideas?

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like "what". None of the other fish fit the profile.
Very small Rock Flower Anemones. What else could possibly be culprit? Fish was right in the mix eating with the other two just an hour before

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small Rock Flower Anemones. What else could possibly be culprit? Fish was right in the mix eating with the other two just an hour before
It could be anything…
Did you hear any noises I.E. Snapping before death?

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it could be the method used for collecting the fish. You can have a fish that seemed perfectly healthy and suddenly it kicks the bucket months after it was collected. This used to occur more frequently when they used cyanide to collect from the reefs. Unfortunately even with more environmentally friendly methods for collecting there is still some dead loss.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it could be the method used for collecting the fish. You can have a fish that seemed perfectly healthy and suddenly it kicks the bucket months after it was collected. This used to occur more frequently when they used cyanide to collect from the reefs. Unfortunately even with more environmentally friendly methods for collecting there is still some dead loss.
+1 to this, in some areas there’s a specific type of chemical that is still legally used to knock out fish for a period of time and it can then kill the fish within a certain time period (I think a lot of the times it’s within a month or two). I cant remember what the name of the chemical is I just remember what it’s used for, a lot of areas it’s used in are the poorer areas such as parts of Indonesia and the Philippines. I think it’s still used in some parts of Africa however I can’t exactly remember the areas it’s used in.

If it’s any period longer than 4 months then collection wouldn’t be the issue - Illness couldn’t be knocked off unless you saw absolutely no signs of a disease (Every single sign whether small or big would need to be checked off though).

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?

I agree your tankmates are not likely the culprit, but if it wasn't around for too long, possible illness or collection problems could be to blame.

Otherwise, did you treat the tank for anything or change any equipment/parameters/deep cleaning recently?

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it?

I agree your tankmates are not likely the culprit, but if it wasn't around for too long, possible illness or collection problems could be to blame.

Otherwise, did you treat the tank for anything or change any equipment/parameters/deep cleaning recently?
We had it for a week. Cruised around the tank, ate without issue at feeding time. No outward signs of disease. No changes to parameters or equipment. 10% water change 3 days ago as weekly maintenance. Tank is 3 months old. It will be a mystery

OP
OP
Kevinmj70

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize this was an issue. Still learning everyday. I appreciate the information

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, in some areas there’s a specific type of chemical that is still legally used to knock out fish for a period of time and it can then kill the fish within a certain time period (I think a lot of the times it’s within a month or two). I cant remember what the name of the chemical is I just remember what it’s used for, a lot of areas it’s used in are the poorer areas such as parts of Indonesia and the Philippines. I think it’s still used in some parts of Africa however I can’t exactly remember the areas it’s used in.

If it’s any period longer than 4 months then collection wouldn’t be the issue - Illness couldn’t be knocked off unless you saw absolutely no signs of a disease (Every single sign whether small or big would need to be checked off though).

Back