Who knows about brass and if this would be ok?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled my entire tank with RODI water it took almost 48-hours, new tank.
I wanted to avoid all the 5-gallon jugs needed to extend my RODI tubing 25-feet, so I bought this ice maker kit thinking it’s food grade and the push connect coupler is plastic so I should be fine. When I finished and took the coupler off I realized it had a tiny metal tube inside it. I freaked out hoping it was plastic and took some pliers and ripped it out. Definitely metal and probably brass. I also dumped in 100-gallons worth of saltmix before discovering this. Here is the link to what I bought and a picture of the metal tube that was inside of the push to connect fitting. Now I’m paranoid I have metal/copper in the water. Thoughts?

0255C95C-09EB-422A-94D4-B5036D73BAF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple Google search would reveal that saltwater will tarnish and corrode brass. As with most chemical reactions, the new substances do not always adhere and get released into the medium or catalyst. Ergo yes you prolly will have some elements in the water, whether copper zinc or tin, however, keep in mind if this was a short immersion the amount leached is prolly trace.

i am not enough of a chemist to say that all is ok. The danger when intorducing elements is that they do not always remain stable compounds and may react with other substances in the water. But it all depends on the concentration. If it's low then itll stay in the trace elements stage and do minimal harm until it does form a bond with something and render itself inert.
Keep an eye on corrals and inverts. Do your water changes.

Even stainless steel will corrode after enough exposure.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple Google search would reveal that saltwater will tarnish and corrode brass. As with most chemical reactions, the new substances do not always adhere and get released into the medium or catalyst. Ergo yes you prolly will have some elements in the water, whether copper zinc or tin, however, keep in mind if this was a short immersion the amount leached is prolly trace.

i am not enough of a chemist to say that all is ok. The danger when intorducing elements is that they do not always remain stable compounds and may react with other substances in the water. But it all depends on the concentration. If it's low then itll stay in the trace elements stage and do minimal harm until it does form a bond with something and render itself inert.
Keep an eye on corrals and inverts. Do your water changes.

Even stainless steel will corrode after enough exposure.
This was for my initial fill with RODI water. No saltwater touched the little metal tube inside the plastic fitting.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be minimal, since short exposure. Relax. After reading a few articles, I've decided that even wd40 safe for short trips into tank, cause I use it to loosen stuck and corroded tweezers and such.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is in most disease treatments for ich and such.
Yeah, definitely not for my SPS display. I just mentioned this to my wife who knows nothing about reef and she said, “I’m sure you have a test kit for that.”
I was actually thinking about getting an ICP before putting almost $1000 worth of cycled rocks in there. But her comment made me think, I could just buy a Copper test kit on Amazon.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely not for my SPS display. I just mentioned this to my wife who knows nothing about reef and she said, “I’m sure you have a test kit for that.”
I was actually thinking about getting an ICP before putting almost $1000 worth of cycled rocks in there. But her comment made me thing I could just buy a Copper test kit on Amazon.
Hey now you're thinking. Do it up. If you have a huge livestock investment for sure do it up.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. Imagine all of the metal your water travels through to get to you in the first place.

My RODI is connected outside on my wall spicket which is brass. Been this way for 2 years. ICP shows fine in my RODI reservoir.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. Imagine all of the metal your water travels through to get to you in the first place.

My RODI is connected outside on my wall spicket which is brass. Been this way for 2 years. ICP shows fine in my RODI reservoir.
But the difference is that every drop of my water passed through this little metal tube after all of the RODI filters right before going into the tank.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now you're thinking. Do it up. If you have a huge livestock investment for sure do it up.
I just bought a Seachem Test kit, will be here Wednesday. I don't have a huge livestock investment yet. Just almost $1000 worth of premium marco rocks cycled and ready in a Brute and $100 worth of pods coming Wednesday.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speculations aside, there's no sure way anyone can answer whether too much copper dissolved. I would not assume it is OK but it may be. If I had to pick, I'd predict it is OK.

I'd certainly change it for the future.

There's NO kit that can detect low enough to say if the copper is OK, but if you get substantial levels on a kit you do know it is not OK.

Instead of a kit, I'd likely get an ICP test or a metal binding agent such as cuprisorb and run it.

Copper before an RO/DI (majority of reefers have copper pipes) is not the same as copper after it. We know with CERTAINTY that copper pipes can easily dissolve way, way too much copper in some homes.

Dosing copper in measured amounts is not the same as uncontrolled dissolution.

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the difference is that every drop of my water passed through this little metal tube after all of the RODI filters right before going into the tank.

Oh I see. Sorry, I thought you used that to plumb into your water line to go into your RODI system. I see your concern now.

Maybe grab a couple polyfilters if you do decide to keep the water. Wouldn't hurt and it might help pull it out if it's in there.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speculations aside, there's no sure way anyone can answer whether too much copper dissolved. I would not assume it is OK but it may be. If I had to pick, I'd predict it is OK.

I'd certainly change it for the future.

There's NO kit that can detect low enough to say if the copper is OK, but if you get substantial levels on a kit you do know it is not OK.

Instead of a kit, I'd likely get an ICP test or a metal binding agent such as cuprisorb and run it.

Copper before an RO/DI (majority of reefers have copper pipes) is not the same as copper after it. We know with CERTAINTY that copper pipes can easily dissolve way, way too much copper in some homes.

Dosing copper in measured amounts is not the same as uncontrolled dissolution.
Thanks for the reply Randy. Here is what I plan to do, please let me know if you think this is best.

1.Hold off on adding my cycled rocks to the tank, when my copepods I bought show up tomorrow, put them in the Brute with my rocks.
2. I ordered an ICP test and will likely return the Cu test kit.
3. When I get the results, look for Copper and other red flags. Anything other metal specifically?
4. If there is any traces of Copper then buy Cuprisorb or Triton Detox. Looks like Detox is a liquid, and they claim they are the only metal biding agent that can get Copper below detectable levels. Any preferences here?
5. If the ICP comes back clean then do nothing. If it comes back dirty then add metal binding agent and then, I guess buy another ICP after running the binding agent.

Is there any situation you think I should drain the entire tank and then fire up the RODI unit for another 48-hours and buy more salt? Or can tackle this situation just as good without having to do that?

This definitely sucks, I was looking forward to aquascaping today. I thought to myself at Home Depot I need to check inside that fitting for metal before using it, and totally forgot when I got home. The freezer kit was also the more expensive route compared to buying a polyethelene tubing and a different brand fitting separately, but I figured, if its good for an Ice Maker it should be a safer route for Acropora. So mad at myself, but unfortunately, it is what it is at this point. Like most things, I can get through it with a positive attitude and more money spent.

Back