Votes: 28 19.2%

• Total voters

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have two corals coming in the mail and one fish (biota mandarin) both arriving today from different vendors. Now I love picking stuff out online and being as picky as I want to be against endless options. But the stress of shipping is high now. Last order I received the bag was 62 degreese. Today my vendor showed me a text from another customer who already received there order in my area but mine hasn’t left the airport?! Now I’m more stressed then excited to the point where I’m looking forward to shopping exclusively at my LFS for awhile. Does anyone have some shipping stories that has either turned them off from the idea completely? or maybe you found a vendor that has never given you cause for concern? I’m curious to hear from you guys because although internet buying is part of that new new lifestyle, is it worth the stress??

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just ask your LFS to see if they can get in certain livestock for you. You can't be as selective but that's generally what I do
There’s only two in town and when I asked the one I liked if they would order a fish they said yes but I would have to pick it up the same day? That’s way more stressful and now that I QT everything I just don’t see the sense in ordering it to the LFS. If the LFS carried more of a variety then I would love to pick out and QT a healthy strong looking fish. Seems like all they carry are beginner fish and a couple of cool clown fish here and there

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s only two in town and when I asked the one I liked if they would order a fish they said yes but I would have to pick it up the same day? That’s way more stressful and now that I QT everything I just don’t see the sense in ordering it to the LFS. If the LFS carried more of a variety then I would love to pick out and QT a healthy strong looking fish. Seems like all they carry are beginner fish and a couple of cool clown fish here and there

No any good LFS will QT it there along with the other incoming fish and then you buy it when you see it in a tank eating and active.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is work with your LFS and talk with them. If they are willing to work with you on getting the things you want and need that will support them and help them to grow and expand their selection.

My customers know that we import and work directly with divers and that our selection can be low based on what we are ordering. We also QT our own stock so my customers are also used to having to wait a little longer to get their fish. Not everyone wants to wait however, so we offer a discount for folks that want to (hopefully) QT their own stock.

Work with your LFS and see what you can work out together to get the stock in that you want. Most shops don't really make money on fish sales and for them to bring in more interesting stuff at a reasonable price can be risky.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just ask your LFS to see if they can get in certain livestock for you. You can't be as selective but that's generally what I do
I tried that once.LFS had a jet black and white striped Lionfish,but it was sold.Owner said he could order me one,I said a jet black and white like this one,He said yes.Well when it came in ,it was a plain old light tan Lionfish. I did not buy it and the owner was ticked, and I walked out.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No any good LFS will QT it there along with the other incoming fish and then you buy it when you see it in a tank eating and active.
Then I’ll definitely ask the other lfs in town. thank you! Normally I drive an hour to a bigger lfs with a big variety but a lot of there fish look very sick w/ really small tanks but the corals are nice. And they carry reef nutrition

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is work with your LFS and talk with them. If they are willing to work with you on getting the things you want and need that will support them and help them to grow and expand their selection.

My customers know that we import and work directly with divers and that our selection can be low based on what we are ordering. We also QT our own stock so my customers are also used to having to wait a little longer to get their fish. Not everyone wants to wait however, so we offer a discount for folks that want to (hopefully) QT their own stock.

Work with your LFS and see what you can work out together to get the stock in that you want. Most shops don't really make money on fish sales and for them to bring in more interesting stuff at a reasonable price can be risky.
I’m willing to give it a shot! I’d rather support my local lfs then the one already doing fine in a bigger city

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals I buy are online.But I lost my last coral Dec 15th due to late shipping,2 days. Online store said they would make it right on my next purchase? I don't know exactly what that means,seeing the coral I ordered was the last one they had.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def. communication is key. Talk to the owner and see if you can help each other out. After weekly costs are factored in and employee time, our QT cubicles cost us around $8.00 per week! Makes it tough if a watchman goby sits in my shop for long after the QT process we do, LOL!

Shipping this time of year is a risk. Be sure to keep that in mind when ordering and work with the online retailers too. :) I am biased as an LFS owner, but we do ship as well and prefer to watch the weather and even offer local delivery through our aquarium service routes all throughout New England. This keeps down on the shipping time and the livestock is in the care of myself or one of my service techs until it is delivered in a warm van.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only order fish and coral online if the LFS doesn't have what I want- wich is like 90% of the time. I asked my LFS if they would order a fish from ORA, but they don't do business with ORA..so i can't buy that fish from them even if i wanted to.

The only concern i have with ordering online is not being able to see what i'm buying.

Also, some sellers will not ship if the weather is not good. I have a shipment from WWC waiting to be shipped since last week because of the whole bomb cyclone thing.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
06137A2A-560D-45BB-9C8F-786D64156710.jpeg
Most corals I buy are online.But I lost my last coral Dec 15th due to late shipping,2 days. Online store said they would make it right on my next purchase? I don't know exactly what that means,seeing the coral I ordered was the last one they had.
I just went threw this but it wasn’t late shipping it was exhausted heat packs. Take a look at my profile pic. I ordered a frag from that exact picture and what I got died in days.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that both fish and coral came in with 72 degrees and All look much better then my last shipment.
I will say tho FedEx was very unaware of my situation. Not only 1 1/2hours after guaranteed arrival but the driver spun my box and tried to toss it to me when there’s a dang green LIVE FISH sticker right on the side

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is making me anxious about shipping this is my first order. I had to eat a crow sandwich the last 3 weeks missed all the live sales/lights went out in the tank.
but I made up for it IMO xD
go big free shipping I've heard nothing but great things about these guys.
just need the weather to be good please be good..........I gotta go sacrifice a hermit to the reef gods blood they need blood :rolleyes: jkjk

Hello James,

Thank you for your order from World Wide Corals! We wanted to let you know that your livestock will ship via FedEx, FedEx Priority Overnight® on 1/10/2018.

Your livestock has not left our facility yet. This email means the label for your shipment has been generated and your order is scheduled to go out today. Please contact us ASAP if you do not want your shipment to go out today or if there is any issues with your order.

You can track your package at any time using the link below. We do not require a signature for delivery. However, we do implore you to acclimate your animals as soon as the package is dropped off. The health of the animals is of the utmost importance and the longer they stay in the bag the more stressed they become.

Shipped To:
James

This shipment includes the following items:

Item #

Description

Qty

WWC Phantasm Blastomussa

WWC Ahhhmazing Echinata

WWC Toxic Splatter Favia

WWC Gaias Zoanthids

Tyree Undata Montipora

Thank you for your order and we look forward to serving you in the future!

World Wide Corals

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that both fish and coral came in with 72 degrees and All look much better then my last shipment.
I will say tho FedEx was very unaware of my situation. Not only 1 1/2hours after guaranteed arrival but the driver spun my box and tried to toss it to me when there’s a dang green LIVE FISH sticker right on the side

Had the same thing happen with my first online order. UPS came up to the door, slammed the box onto the 2×3 railing (old and wobbly at best) left it there teetering, pulled out the computer to sign. Where I promptly reached for the package and he stuck his hand out and said it's fine where it was. Where I then told him there were live animals in the box and I wasn't signing anything till the box was atleast on something firm and not about to fall off a 6 foot rail to the concrete below. I swear delivery drivers are at best... incompetent. Oh and the entire top of the box had a bright orange sticker that said fragile live fish, sides of the box said the same too!

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back