• I don’t mind shipping anymore

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I’ve never bought livestock online

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Other

Votes: 28 19.2%

• Total voters

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be stopping and ordering it too, looks awesome!

Jckisko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My livestock order from LiveAquaria just spent today (and now tonight) somewhere in Louisville, enroute to the DC area from CA.

While LA was certainly sympathetic and offered some tips should they more resemble Mrs. Paul’s Fishsticks upon arrival, UPS was beyond useless to explain why the parcel did not make it to Dulles per usual (and as promised, given Next Day Delivery this morning by 1030 a.m.), nor could provide an updated ETA.

Just sayin’...

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My livestock order from LiveAquaria just spent today (and now tonight) somewhere in Louisville, enroute to the DC area from CA.

While LA was certainly sympathetic and offered some tips should they more resemble Mrs. Paul’s Fishsticks upon arrival, UPS was beyond useless to explain why the parcel did not make it to Dulles per usual (and as promised, given Next Day Delivery this morning by 1030 a.m.), nor could provide an updated ETA.

Just sayin’...
Oh man I’m sorry :(. I was pacing around the living room with the blinds open after just an hour of being late.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOWOWOW.

There's so many cool zoas out there - i just don't want to have to deal with paly toxin though :/

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues ordering from well established vendors online. I would prefer it if my LFS always had what I wanted in stock but that just never happens. I have had WWC hold 2 of the 4 orders I have placed because of weather. Once was due to cold, the other was fear of a hurricane delaying flights. I just recieved an order from Live Aquaria that was shipped during the cold spell. I checked the package and, even though it was delivered at 2pm, the water was still at 68.5F when I got it. Out of curiosity I put the heat packs back in the box and left it outside overnight with a bag of old water. It was still 63F the next morning after sitting outside in sub 30F weather. A fish would still have been just fine at that point.
If a vendor is responsible and understands how to properly prepare shipments, I have no issues placing an order.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered online and picked up from LFS. Online gets me exactly what I want, in theory anyway. I haven't found a LFS in Orlando yet that actually QT's fish before putting them in the sale tanks.

Personally, I feel much more comfortable buying locally. I can watch the fish at the LFS, ask to see it eat, and monitor its behavior. This way, I know they aren't grabbing the fish that's laying on its side in a back corner or under a rock and shipping it off to me. But, at the end of the day, many of these LFS, not all but many, order their livestock from the same place that LA ships them from. So, realistically, I'm not sure it makes much difference. The exception is a LFS that actually goes through at least a basic QT process. It's worth it to me to buy pre-QT'd livestock. Even if it is only 2 weeks in copper and/or a couple of rounds of prazi or some antibiotics.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things that I have learned since becoming active on this site is that it sounds like across the country the majority of LFS are not QT'ing their fish for customers. Is this really the case? Also, by LFS are we actually talking about a shop that specializes in aquatics or just pet stores that carry saltwater fish? We even QT our freshwater fish at my shop and I am surprised to hear that the majority is not doing so?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things that I have learned since becoming active on this site is that it sounds like across the country the majority of LFS are not QT'ing their fish for customers. Is this really the case? Also, by LFS are we actually talking about a shop that specializes in aquatics or just pet stores that carry saltwater fish? We even QT our freshwater fish at my shop and I am surprised to hear that the majority is not doing so?

Where is your shop located?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are in very lonely company. I've watched the 2 biggest LFS's by me (both specialize in saltwater) dump fish directly from the shipping bags into their display tanks.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are located in southern NH. and do a little shipping as well. Our general info. is in our vendor forum.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you are in very lonely company. I've watched the 2 biggest LFS's by me (both specialize in saltwater) dump fish directly from the shipping bags into their display tanks.
OMG! That is unreal!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! That is unreal!
Nope. That is common. And I can't blame them. They run low levels of copper in their system and I would guess 70% of their marine fish are sold within 3 days. Its only the more specialized fish and clown fish that go unsold for a month.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I wish, LOL! We operate small and run QT in individual containers for at least two weeks of heavy feeding and prophylactic parasite treatment and deworming. Literally changing 100% of their water daily. Very time consuming, but we have very few losses. It is almost hard to let go of fish sometimes for retail if we don't know the tank it's going to just because we put so much work into each of them.

I do let people buy fish ahead of the QT process, but we do a pretty big discount if the customer wants to do their own QT or just hope for the best method it.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that is the case, i've noticed the same thing. I know for a fact that one my LFS, strictly saltwater, does not QT. I know this because I once asked a question about medication for QT and he basically said that every fish has ich and there's no way to get rid of it, so why QT, just keep them well fed and happy.

There's another LFS that also does freshwater, and although i didn't ask, i'm almost positive they don't QT either.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I wish, LOL! We operate small and run QT in individual containers for at least two weeks of heavy feeding and prophylactic parasite treatment and deworming. Literally changing 100% of their water daily. Very time consuming, but we have very few losses. It is almost hard to let go of fish sometimes for retail if we don't know the tank it's going to just because we put so much work into each of them.

I do let people buy fish ahead of the QT process, but we do a pretty big discount if the customer wants to do their own QT or just hope for the best method it.

crap, i wanna buy fish from you lol.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of my LFS quarantine everything, but they usually have good selection. i personally am fine with ordering online

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****, i wanna buy fish from you lol.
We would love to sell to you. :)

Since coming aboard as a sponsor here we have been working on building up our shipping and delivery capabilities. We are still working hard to keep it small though with the same level of individual care for our fish.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title of this thread says,I like ordering online .But I really hate the shipping.You never recover a penny in shipping when its 2 days late and everything is dead.Only the seller can recoup a partial shipping charge. It cost you about 80$ in the end for reshipping lost corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back