Who makes quality 20 gallon longs?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[UPDATE: This is NOT a "can I drill my own tank" question- I have done it before, it was easy.]

Trying again...

Who makes Aqueon size 20 gallon longs that have thick glass (can drill for sump)?

Foot print needs to match the Petco version.

(I'm scared to drill and attach an overflow box on the Petco one... this is thin glass. Not scared of drilling. Scared of the tank cracking and a flood down the road.)

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There is no problem with Aqueons in 20G Long size and drilling them. And when you source one for Dollar a Gallon it's good, no not good, its great to practice drilling with.

Just make sure the 20G is not made from temperad glass, they have a chart for that too.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Maxx used to have a line of tanks, and some were better than others, they had two models with thick glass, there sizing seems off, so you have to look at the tank to read its dimension. Check Marine Depot to see if they still carry the line. I would also check out ADA or similar tanks for the planted tanks.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just checked 20Long is not Tempered - Drill away

1615830093291.png

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said no problems with this brand for sump. I took extra precautions and ran a silicone bead along all seams before install.

Easily drilled. Drilled mine without problems.

20210315_105340.jpg

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

So....

• Drilling, no problem. I've done it. Not worried. And if it busts, just go get another this month ($20).
    Aqueon support told me it is virtually assured this glass is NOT tempered.
  • Modular marine 800 GPH (smallest they make) overflow would center on one of the short ends
    That's two 2" holes on one of the short panes, I think about 2" below the upper edge of the glass
    MM because handles the rims and the dimensions involved here (eg. don't have to trim a gasket!)
  • 1/2" PVC plumbing, three drain lines (the MM is bean animal) would be WELL SECURED/SUPPORTED (clips on the metal stand)
  • Over the top return- no drilling there

I'm just concerned this is inadvisable.

The glass on these is fairly thin. With my eye I measured 1/8". Maybe it's 4mm. Tops.

A lot of information out there says don't do that. 6mm minimum.

No one seems to have hard data on tank cracks. Some say the big ones break more, some say the smaller ones actually do, some say they all crack equally. Some say they've seen 100s of these smaller Aqueon tanks drilled. Others (including MM support) say they wouldn't do it.

I would NOT be asking and wringing my hands if this were an Aqueon 40 gallon breeder or larger. IMO, that's a different beast, with appropriate glass thickness for an overflow being mounted. And indeed they warrant their larger tanks for life, not their smaller ones (hmmmm).

But I love this 20 long and have a perfect use case for it. Breeder is just too big for my use case.

Really prefer an external overflow box and sump, not (say) a Fiji AIO kit.

Comments welcome!

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just make sure you clamp and piece of plywood below glass and dont apply too much pressure and you''ll be fine.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question might be:

To what extent do the rims on these help support the glass such that overflow is ok?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand what you're trying todo correctly I really would worry about it at all, so many people drill aqueon tanks in every variety you can think of. And like you said if it cracks just pickup another one this month for 20 bucks, no biggie. If your more worried about its stability years down the line, again I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure if you are using glass/acrylic etc. baffles in your sump they fit semi-loose. You want to avoid putting any unnecessary pressure on the glass especially sustained for years.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple different methods for drilling tanks that I made videos of.

Hope this helps.

Just make sure you spray off the drill bit as well as the glass with cool water.

I used method 1 for my 20g sump.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm.... so the 20 gallon long I'm considering drilling will be the DT, just so that's clear.

15 gallon sump will not be drilled.

@Vested I guess you're saying the path I'm considering is well worn, even for 20 gallon long (I know it's well worn for 40 breeders on up).

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm.... so the 20 gallon long I'm considering drilling will be the DT, just so that's clear.

15 gallon sump will not be drilled.

@Vested I guess you're saying the path I'm considering is well worn, even for 20 gallon long (I know it's well worn for 40 breeders on up).
Yep exactly, goodluck keep us updated!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back