Who makes your favorite acclimation boxes? Post a pic and give a shout out here!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's see your favorite acclimation boxes! Post 'em up here and give a shout out to where you got it!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aqua Medic ‘fish trap’ as an acclimatisation box Daniel

Its very well built and also an exellent fish trap, well if your a good fisherman anyway! The door slams shut when required

When I was trying to catch my last fish, a Yellow Tang, also known as Satan Tang it was so nasty, my wife stood looking at me crouched by the tank, fish line in hand, saying what are you doing!! Lol

Hey, but I caught him, and back to the LFS he went!

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting topic but don't see many responses :). I am actually curious on if there is a true benefit to acclimating a fish in a box before releasing into the tank. I would be interested to learn if some one has done this and actually noticed a reduced aggression with fish when released. I will have a regal red sea done with quarantine in a few weeks and was tossing around the idea of building an acrylic box myself ... I am concerned about this fish because it is doing so good in my QT now and I know they can get very timid - escpecially with the amount of angels I have in the tank.

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Hippo tang to a 125g tank. Put the Tang in a clear box on the bottom visable to all. It freaked the tang out so much he was slamming himself against the inside of the box. Let him out and my Koran went after him so I put the Koran in the box for a couple hours. Everyone are buddies now, Added a Coral Beauty the same way, parked him inside for a few hours, no-one seemed to care, let him out, he went directly into a psuedo cave and ventured out as he pleased. 2 days later he's all over the tank and doing great.
Bottom line for me is I think putting abusers in time out seems to work better and is less stress than adding more to a new fish who's been in numerous tanks in the weeks before getting to mine.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the Shue from Octoaquatics since it attaches to the side of your tank with magnets. Makes it easy to move the box around at different levels in the tank. https://octoaquatics.com/product/the-shu/

1615039310241.png

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the IceCap fish trap. It's 7.5" x 6" x 6" so it won't handle any large fish but works great for me. I caught a 4" Powder Brown that was causing lots of trouble in my 100g with plenty of patience and a piece of string as Shaun described above. I'll use it again as an acclimation box when adding a Yellow Tang in a week or so.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the Acto Aquatics one also. My first one had some green inside the magnet after a few months of use. He promptly sent me a new one and never asked for the old one back.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eshoppes acclimation box. When I added my hippo, I put him in the box for three or four days. Maybe five. I taped a picture of a yellow tang over by the yellows hiding spot. I released the hippo, at night (lights off), and never had an issue.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the Shue from Octoaquatics since it attaches to the side of your tank with magnets. Makes it easy to move the box around at different levels in the tank. https://octoaquatics.com/product/the-shu/

1615039310241.png

My fish are Death Dealers. I have and use:
- FAVORITE but limitation (further below): CPR Aquatics Large CITR3 Pro In-Tank Refugium (EEK BSR just discontinued)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/large-citr3-pro-in-tank-refugium-cpr-aquatics.html
- IceCap fish traps in medium and large (work amazing, need adult beverage to survive paper peeling for assembly... but I love mine so much I have TWO sizes):
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fish-trap-icecap.html
- on order the 14" long 6" high SHU (not yet arrived, so can't yet comment)
https://octoaquatics.com/product/the-shu/

Obviously those questioning use of acclimation boxes don't have fish like my fish. My fish KILL 'mirror' fish and anything else... while I love my CITR3, it hangs in one area. My fish decided that single area was ONLY area new fish (x2) was allowed... New fish didn't understand... killed, BF got me replacement fish, killed. Sad winter. Longer stories involves trying to acclimate, acclimation box & mirror, move back to QT for healing, back to DT.. repeat until death... Sad sad winter Prompted ordering SHU 1-2 weeks ago because I'll be able to move it AROUND ALL AREAS of tank with its magnet configuration... while I'm thinking 1 week in SHU, I've been advised 8 weeks acclimation thru barrier may be needed... Fear of more heartbreak may keep me from using my SHU just in case at release they dive in like crazed killers - I might never get new fish... unless pink... Bet my tangs & flame angel would take on shark and WIN

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SHU by Octo aquatics. They are unbeatable quality. @cromag27

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great topic and thead ty!
Yes i use a breeder net box. Cheap. I use old hydor power head magnets to hold it up.
I also have one of the plastic hang on the side ones like at petco or the lfs but i havent used it. The net one works great for smaller fish acclimating. Just have to feed the net box and clean it out with a turkey baster.
D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own ....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting topic but don't see many responses :). I am actually curious on if there is a true benefit to acclimating a fish in a box before releasing into the tank. I would be interested to learn if some one has done this and actually noticed a reduced aggression with fish when released. I will have a regal red sea done with quarantine in a few weeks and was tossing around the idea of building an acrylic box myself ... I am concerned about this fish because it is doing so good in my QT now and I know they can get very timid - escpecially with the amount of angels I have in the tank.
Acclimation box is a useful but hardly foolproof tool. Often established fish will ignore the new fish in the box but beat the heck out of it upon release.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back