Who makes your most favorite aquariums and why?

Do you have plans for a new tank sometime in the future?

• Yes but only as an upgrade/downgrade to what I have now.

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • Yes as an additional tank to what I have now. More tanks, YEA!

Votes: 221 27.4%
  • No but plans could change.

Votes: 122 15.1%
  • No, I'm content.

Votes: 153 19.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 2.4%

• Total voters

Woolvy034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about tank stands? I feel like the aquariums are the easy part; if the company doesn't make a stand, what do you guys use?
Frametech 80/20 extruded aluminum....easy to assemble. Pricey depending on size of your tank but durability, longevity, safety and the fact that you can disassemble it is hands down the best stand. They also have panel clips so you can attach panels of your choice/design.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: Ya never know!

aquarium GIF
You're taking "aquarium" too literally ;-)

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a positive comment. I have dedicated spaces and requirements. After all this is a large investment that should last. My tanks are custom made for both function and esthetics. Let’s face it, most of us like to show off our tanks and mine are part of the decor for my house. That being said, my last tank was a custom built 48” drop off tank with a bull nose at one end (in profile). The only economical way of getting it done is by using acrylic. Not my preferred material. The company I had make it (not sure if I can post there name) apparently didn’t know how to measure or properly glue acrylic. Nothing was square or even and you can already see the glue where it did not bond correctly. So if anybody has any good custom tank manufacture please let us know.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading my new tank to something larger to be "done with it." Here is what I've realized and why I'm doing it so soon:
  1. The volume of water doesn't automatically make things harder.
  2. Sumps scared me.
  3. I settled. I was afraid it would be too hard and so sold myself on a smaller tank to start with probably to pre-justify a potential for failure.
  4. I didn't expect how much my partner has enjoyed the tank with me. This means that the anxiety I had about the spending that would accompany a larger build was basically unjustified. I still think I played the bait and switch angle even if unwittingly. Hehe.
  5. I severely underestimated how much I would enjoy this hobby despite waiting decades for it to happen. I also underestimated the sanity preserving personal satisfaction that comes with it.
  6. I placed arbitrary limits for growth based on how intimidated I was in the first place. This meant limits to:
    1. Aquascaping
    2. Tank inhabitants both fish and corals
    3. Safe and swim spaces for fish
    4. Cleaning maneuvering room
So I'm upgrading my 50 gallons AIO to a Waterbox P7225. The Peninsula will go in my living room as a statement piece room divider.

scollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "Other"
I am in the process of retiring my Marineland 93gal cube. I just purchased an Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT 200. So far everything is going well. Water has been in for 2 weeks. I used Dr. Tims one and only to get it started. I have 2 small damsels in it now just letting them do their thing. We can't wait to get the rest of the fish in there and get some corals going also.

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually in the market for two.....a Waterbox for the office, and a massive Glasscages build for the living room. The only tank I have currently (cycling now actually) is a 75 cube in the bedroom, and I am thinking WB130.4 in office (maybe one step smaller, just really want to run it as a harem) and a 475 GC tank in the living room. A man has got to have hobbies! Lol
Just curious, would you keep the 75 too?

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Planet Aquarium 120g on the way. Had some issues with delivery, but hope to have it back to me shortly. Can't wait to start the build and open all these boxes that I have been stacking up.

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with a HOB refugium. It's a recent upgrade from a 12 cube. I would like to go to a 75 or 90. I actually have most of the equipment for one except I would need more light. Money is a big issue for me.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said yes as additional tank.
I just ordered a new frag tank from Advanced Acrylics I worked with John great guy on building a custom frag tank. When I got the frag I was blown away with the craftsmanship of the tank. The clearest seams I’ve ever seen on a acrylic tank and I got the tank built the way I drew it all up. If I ever need another tank I won’t hesitate to use advanced acrylics again.

oh I also had a pvc four chamber dosing container built as well. Phenomenal job on that as well.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year of fighting dinos I just ordered (literally, just before voting) a Crystal Dynamics Aquariums 40x21x20 Eurobraced Starfire with Starboard insert to protect the glass bottom. I hope this keeps me in good stead for a very, very long time.
Planet and Glasscages were just too expensive with long- haul shipping, and I can pick this one up since I am in SoCal.
Now on to the aluminum t-slot stand! (And in a couple of years maybe I'll be able to afford livestock!

Ozonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my tank, everything looks great. My biggest problem is the star fire glass panel has a haze on the inside that won't come out.
20200823_124225.jpg

Attachments

• 20200823_124157.jpg
    20200823_124157.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 42

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic made the best tank for the $$. Can't say I'd buy any of the overpriced options available today.

MizzouMark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Miracles tank (72 x 24 x 30H), starphire glass on three sides. I'm working on the design for a second tank. I want more depth and height, so looking at 72 x 34 x 34. I'll use the old tank as a FOWLR and the second as a mixed reef. I had a great experience with Miracles on the first tank, so I was working on the second one with Derek at Miracles until the pandemic came along. I'm hoping to get the project back on track in a month or two.

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I would like to keep this topic today on the positive side! Remember this is about your most FAVORITE tanks! Thanks! :p

As hobbyists we love our aquariums. Of course we love our aquariums but I'm actually talking about the actual glass or acrylic box here! We also love to dream up new, better and bigger reef tanks along with smaller, specie specific nanos and everything in between. One thing that all of these have in common is that they all require an aquarium! When it's time to make a decision on a new tank though which one would you go with and why? There are so many great choices on the market today so let's talk about it!

1. For your next "aqua project" what aquarium will you go with and why?

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?
Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?

image via @cb684
IMG_0047.jpg
Next build if I make it there would be between 800 to 2000gal FWLR to move my angels/tangs over. I would then switch my current 220gal to LPS/SPS, Clam tank with small reef fish/ reef safe wrasse. Current tank was a custom tank made in 1983 in Miami, FL. I purchased/resealed about 10 yrs ago. My prior tanks were mostly Oceanic and had 8- 125gal All-Glass on iron stands when I lived in NY.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an SC aquarium 150 euro braced. Totally happy with it but if money and space wasn't an issue I would probably have gone 30" deep instead of 24" and 72" wide instead of 60" just to be able to have clown tangs and other swimmers. Haven't seen too many different tanks but love my SC and also like the planets. I do intend to have a small nano tying into the sump for next to my laptop and would eventually like to get a stand alone mangrove box but... a lot of that depends on whether I'll continue to be able to work from home post covid.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back