Who makes your most favorite aquariums and why?

Do you have plans for a new tank sometime in the future?

• Yes but only as an upgrade/downgrade to what I have now.

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • Yes as an additional tank to what I have now. More tanks, YEA!

Votes: 221 27.4%
  • No but plans could change.

Votes: 122 15.1%
  • No, I'm content.

Votes: 153 19.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 2.4%

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot say I have had a favorite. My old tank was huge, old and used. My new 210g was custom built by a local guy. My 40g is a standard breeder and my 20g are just the cheap ones from petco.

However, the Fluval Edge 6g I use for traveling programs is great! I made modifications for lights and flow, but it is great for viewing top down and all sides. Kids love it and hands stay out of it. Perfect for the application in which I use it. I have the older models, so not sure how they newer edges are for corals.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I bribe the wife with a new fridge she might agree to a 150g penensula. We shall see, it might take more than a fridge.

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe is a great guy. If I could have afforded the extra $500 shipping I would have bought from him. He's very friendly, helpful thorough and responsive. Just what you want and expect from a top notch manufacturer.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next tank will be an Innovative Marine 200 EXT. The deal I made with the wife was that if we buy a house, we had to get a 180G+ tank. This works for her, too, because she's desperate to start a tang gang and our 75G just doesn't cut it. The IM tank will hopefully incorporate a small fish room. If not, it's not the end of the world, provided that I can have a mixing station.

Eventually, the goal is to put a 300G+ Reef Savvy in our forever home. It will have a connected frag tank and large filtration system in a full fish room to accommodate additional tanks. The wife also wanted a predator/not reef safe FOWLR. My father is an architect and father-in-law is a contractor, so we will probably end up designing the house around the tank when we build new in about 5-6 years. I'm really, really excited to work with Felix.

Adityaa Raaju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I would like to keep this topic today on the positive side! Remember this is about your most FAVORITE tanks! Thanks! :p

As hobbyists we love our aquariums. Of course we love our aquariums but I'm actually talking about the actual glass or acrylic box here! We also love to dream up new, better and bigger reef tanks along with smaller, specie specific nanos and everything in between. One thing that all of these have in common is that they all require an aquarium! When it's time to make a decision on a new tank though which one would you go with and why? There are so many great choices on the market today so let's talk about it!

1. For your next "aqua project" what aquarium will you go with and why?

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?
Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?

image via @cb684
IMG_0047.jpg
1} it's my dream to keep a aquarium of size 6ft X 4 ft X 4ft , I have desired for it like since my first grande when my father decided to buy me a bowl where basically I fell in love with the fishes and then after 6 long years I finally got a 40gallon aquarium which I still own and I am currently in the last year of my high school ,I know a long time right . but the reason why I need a bigger aquarium is I want to keep a specific type of fishes which I will discuss in the next point.

2} when I look at a salt water aquarium I litreally stare at It for a min of 20mins coz that's how crazy I am about owning a salt water aquarium but I am not in a stage to buy one coz tbh I'm broke , I live in India and I am member of a middle class family, I litreally can't buy a coral and my father earns a average amount , so till I earn I can't get all these stuffs so I began researching what's the fresh water substitute of all these salt water fishes , CICHLIDS the moment I knew that even fresh water which exhibit such beautiful colour i had to buy them and out of my savings I bought them but guess what they were too agressive in that small 40 gallon aquarium and I had to return them , but I promised my self that in the future I will get a Rock scaped aquarium with the dimensions I mentioned above so that I can keep my favourite fishes in their natural habitat and keep them happy . That is the AQUA PROJECT i tend to do in the future and this is the type of tank that I am dreaming to get .
Thank you.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just ordered a planet crystaline 72 x 30 x 21 Will let you know what i think of it once i get it... might be a while.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything that i can buy new for a dollar a gallon...

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to replace my tank then there is only one solid tank manufacturer that I would trust to make a tank and cabinet for me and that is a company called Aquariums4life. Their tanks are like a piece of art and that's before the water goes in. The cabinets are great loads of space and access to to the sump.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I would like to keep this topic today on the positive side! Remember this is about your most FAVORITE tanks! Thanks! :p

As hobbyists we love our aquariums. Of course we love our aquariums but I'm actually talking about the actual glass or acrylic box here! We also love to dream up new, better and bigger reef tanks along with smaller, specie specific nanos and everything in between. One thing that all of these have in common is that they all require an aquarium! When it's time to make a decision on a new tank though which one would you go with and why? There are so many great choices on the market today so let's talk about it!

1. For your next "aqua project" what aquarium will you go with and why?

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?
Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?

image via @cb684
IMG_0047.jpg
I have a WaterBox Clear Pro Peninsula.

Reasons:
  1. They were at the best price-point - post shipping charges
  2. They had the dimensions that I was looking for 6ft long, 2 ft deep (I didn't/don't care much about breadth of a tank ... although 2 ft is decent breadth)
  3. They had the materials (Starfire glass, High-quality waterproofed wood) and tank-style (Peninsula, Rimless, Sumpless) that I was looking for
  4. They were able to deliver within 4-5 days of ordering
  5. Their customer service was excellent
I had strongly considered PLanetAquariums (Arlington, TX) and SC Aquariums (South Carlona). I would have selected SC Aquariums if they had my required dimensions, and rimless tanks.

After receiving the tank and the stand, I found WB's materials to be absolutely top notch, and will be hard pressed to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build my own. I built and sold hundreds of tanks over 25 plus years. Tricon Technology Inc. was a widely sold aquarium in the Northwest in those days. I would not build on the huge scale even though I have. Old enough I don't want to leave a burden to my heirs!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've discussed going to a 200 gallon after we retire and have time for such things. At that size there wouldn't be the same restrictions on possible inhabitants that we have now, but knowing how much work the 50g and 10g are, we just don't have the energy for a tank like that right now.

In the more immediate future I'd like to have a proper coral quarantine/grow out tank. I've run into several pests lately that are either resistant to dipping or only show their ugly faces weeks after getting the coral. I hate pests!
Bigger tanks might actually be way lesser effort in some ways. I have had a 20G, a 40G and 90G and 170G (current). They have been progressively easier to maintain, but also disporptionately more expensive to obtain and maintain.

Larger tanks are really, really expensive!! I cannot fathom how expensive a 1,000 gallon tank will be to obtain and maintain given that my current tank is at the price of a first hand car and I am not even one month into its expenses.

I am unsure if I can ever justify going much bigger than current.
I would build my own. I built and sold hundreds of tanks over 25 plus years. Tricon Technology Inc. was a widely sold aquarium in the Northwest in those days. I would not build on the huge scale even though I have. Old enough I don't want to leave a burden to my heirs!
I would love to build my own tank if I were to ever go bigger. I may look you up then, sir

Back