Who makes your most favorite aquariums and why?

Do you have plans for a new tank sometime in the future?

• Yes but only as an upgrade/downgrade to what I have now.

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • Yes as an additional tank to what I have now. More tanks, YEA!

Votes: 221 27.4%
  • No but plans could change.

Votes: 122 15.1%
  • No, I'm content.

Votes: 153 19.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 2.4%

• Total voters

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say that I have a favorite since I have been out of the aquarium hobby for awhile. Have a chance for a free 180gal, an oldie but goodie, hasn’t been used in several years. The trick will be getting it out of my nieces basement and bringing it to my house, a 4 hour trip. First steps will be reinforce floor and leak test tank. This is a one and only build so custom stand and a split display. Below is tank as it exists and who made it...now known as Aqueon.

CBB0C038-B4F6-4250-9B79-FC5FD1DA3239.jpeg 56AB7D36-26CD-4C6B-9F2E-1B5C98104740.jpeg

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good luck with: https://www.customaquariums.com/

I would buy from them again.

My tank was 140 gallons 2'x2'x5'.

I like the extra metal bracing around the top and bottom. I got 5/8 inch instead of 1/2 inch glass and was glad for the option. When I measured at a cut hole it came to 9/16 inch on my tape measure. I got a little thicker glass because I didn't want some kind of catastrophic failure where it all explodes and so on. A leak is not okay but I would rather have that than the other. I also like the way they do their overflows.

Do not ship right before a holiday like Thanksgiving. My tank got lost and it took awhile to find it. I was told the only other time this happened was right before a holiday. Anyway, they only ship direct to so many states and then another company takes over. Someone picked my tank up near St. Louis and it disappeared for several weeks. How can you pick up an 800 pound box on a dock with no paper work? At least they couldn't find any. Surely there is a better way to track their tanks. Perhaps they dropped the ball or something. My trucker brother said someone broke it and they threw it in a dumpster. I can see how that happens when you turn something over to an unknown company. They seemed not to know who even had my tank. They were about to build me another one before it was finally found. This is not a complaint against the company because I could see how something like this could happen but they might consider a different way to deliver their product.

I was wondering how they were going to get an 800 pound box into my garage but the guy who delivered it had a hand cart that took care of it and a lift gate that lowered it to the ground.

The tanks they build seemed more substantial in bracing and so on. Before you buy, at least look at what they do.

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Aqueon 40 Breeder as my little reef tank. I used to have a 340 gallon in-wall tank built by Planet Aquariums when I lived in Texas and I loved it!!! We are closing on our new home end of May and I have a 240 gallon acrylic tank built by a company in Pennsylvania but it is no Planet tank. Still, I love a bigger tank and I will be adding to my build thread once we get settled.

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year we got a 90gal because it was the biggest tank we could fit in the space we had. 10 months later we've moved and have a nice long wall in the living room with plenty of space. So I'm planning the "dream tank", something like a 180. Haven't decided between rimmed vs rimless vs acrylic and am still open to them all. This will probably be the last tank we buy for a long time, and it will be the focal piece of our living room, so I want it to be new and very clean looking. I've compared waterbox, red sea, IM, and Cade for off the shelf package types, and waterbox seems to be the most affordable. The IM is too deep front to back for my space, otherwise looks amazing. Also considering a planet aquarium mega matrix, which is slightly cheaper than the crystal dynamics EL line. Also considering an acrylic from fishtanksdirect just for the weight savings. Getting the tank into place in the house is a serious consideration.
If we buy a waterbox through our LFS we could probably get them to deliver it inside the house.
If we buy from planet aquarium or crystal dynamics we could get an external overflow which would be really nice.
Decisions decisions....

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative marine... aluminum stands, not wood that’ll warp
I strongly considered the IM 120G AIO - since I was going to create a siphonless setup. They were backorder until May 1st week as of February, 2021, unfortunately. I have heard good things about those tanks, similar to what you just mentioned.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATERBOX!!!!! I'M PUTTING TOGETHER MY MARINE X90 as it arrived recently..... LOVE IT!
Yeah they seem like the Amazon of fish-tanks. There are other good players as well. But WB seems really good quality for a comparatively low price point and extremely speedy delivery. No complaints whatsoever - very much in tune with the pulse of current day and age.

If Radeon and or AI is the light of your choice, you can easily make WB your one stop tank shop. Curious that they haven't partnered with Kessil or Neptune yet. Those are very likely futre partnerships.

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. For your next "aqua project" what aquarium will you go with and why?

Crystal Dynamics. They built me a 230G 7' tank and I'm super happy with it.

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?

I'd like to build a frag tank plumbed into the same water system. maybe 6' long, a few feet wide, and ~12" tall.

-or-

a 2' tall tank where I can cycle some custom sculpted marco rock structures to sell.

-Justin

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any hesitation I will have my second tank (probably a 120g fish-only) built my Gaston at Tank Me USA. He just delivered my new 365G reef tank to my home last November and I continue to be completely blown-away by the detail craftsmanship. How often can you stare at a an empty tank and be in total awe of its beauty. Tank Me USA without any hesitation!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year we got a 90gal because it was the biggest tank we could fit in the space we had. 10 months later we've moved and have a nice long wall in the living room with plenty of space. So I'm planning the "dream tank", something like a 180. Haven't decided between rimmed vs rimless vs acrylic and am still open to them all. This will probably be the last tank we buy for a long time, and it will be the focal piece of our living room, so I want it to be new and very clean looking. I've compared waterbox, red sea, IM, and Cade for off the shelf package types, and waterbox seems to be the most affordable. The IM is too deep front to back for my space, otherwise looks amazing. Also considering a planet aquarium mega matrix, which is slightly cheaper than the crystal dynamics EL line. Also considering an acrylic from fishtanksdirect just for the weight savings. Getting the tank into place in the house is a serious consideration.
If we buy a waterbox through our LFS we could probably get them to deliver it inside the house.
If we buy from planet aquarium or crystal dynamics we could get an external overflow which would be really nice.
Decisions decisions....
I considered Planet Aquarium too, since they make an acrylic base for your tank with seems like an appealing concept if you have a sand-bed, which I was gonna. (If I went barebottom on my tank, i would have to pay for marriage counseling, so sand-bed it had to be :) )

Similar to you, I also got my LFS to deliver my WB inside the house. Since you considered Planet Aquarium, you may be from DFW. If so, hit me up via PM and I can let you know the LFS that helped me out. If you go WB, you will have to assemble your own stand though. It is really not as complex as people make it out to be.

The instructions are minimal, but that's the nature of beast in reefing. The name of the game is - "Go Figure"!

mauisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me preface this by saying that I would like to keep this topic today on the positive side! Remember this is about your most FAVORITE tanks! Thanks! :p

As hobbyists we love our aquariums. Of course we love our aquariums but I'm actually talking about the actual glass or acrylic box here! We also love to dream up new, better and bigger reef tanks along with smaller, specie specific nanos and everything in between. One thing that all of these have in common is that they all require an aquarium! When it's time to make a decision on a new tank though which one would you go with and why? There are so many great choices on the market today so let's talk about it!

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project?
Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?

image via @cb684
IMG_0047.jpg
Red Sea

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any hesitation I will have my second tank (probably a 120g fish-only) built my Gaston at Tank Me USA. He just delivered my new 365G reef tank to my home last November and I continue to be completely blown-away by the detail craftsmanship. How often can you stare at a an empty tank and be in total awe of its beauty. Tank Me USA without any hesitation!
Thank you for that mention KarlieFish. That is high-praise. Now I have to check them out.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GC 75 that has been awesome and an IM30L that have been up a while. I also have a 40b that I’d like to upgrade to instead of the 30. Dimensions are more to my liking
7234EED9-8520-412A-8C21-92094CA3AE5F.jpeg
EC759338-0F80-4AD0-9434-D76BCE7F5E2A.jpeg 5FF3EE8A-448F-4A65-927B-5A934595E5EF.jpeg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm too old. I need to start thinking about taking down my system before my passing leaves a smelly collection of dead marine life and a totally incomprehensible plethora of interconnected hobby hardware to my heirs.

Instead of getting into this hobby, fifty yeas ago I should have bought a Hyacinth Macaw and left it enough money in my will to take care of it for another fifty years. At least I wouldn't have been responsible for running up a 50 year collection of marine life deaths...

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Glasscages out of Tennessee is making some awesome tanks at a very good price. I have 2 of their tanks a 120 DT, a 95 gallon frag tank and currently designing a 300+ gallon dream tank.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who makes your most favorite aquariums and why?

Innovative Marine is my favorite tank. I like cubes and they made the Nuvo 112. I’ve never been more excited as an adult than with this tank. It’s been a long road to getting it all set up. I like the aluminum stand. MDF is a disaster waiting to happen. I consider this to be a huge tank.

2. Share a brief summary about what you're dreaming up for your next tank project? Is it an upgrade, frag tank, an additional tank, a species type tank or what?

The bottom of my 10 yr old BioCube cracked and I had to go with the new 32gal version. I had already built a waterproof version stand so..... I will be putting the maroon clown currently in my sump for my 112 in it and haven‘t thought much farther. Maybe a frag tank.

I have another 29 BioCube that was resealed and currently my old ‘Ugly Tank Contest Entry“ which I am patiently waiting for 2 Urchins to finish stripping the rock and eating the colonial hydroids. After which I am not sure. I do plan to do something with it though.

I just bought a 38 long which I was planning to grow pods in. Just has my Phyto cultures in it now. I basically just have too many things planned and will eventually catch up.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a case and am very happy with it. As stated there are many great choices out there and honestly don't think one is better than the other , As long as they hold water and don't split at the seems. My wife's tank is awesome as well and honestly don't even know it's make other than a 54 gal corner tank w a bashsea 26 gal sump. Both are great tanks and please us just fine. So I guess in closing it boils down to the size and shape you want and what makes you happy, or fits in your room. The important thing in this hobby is water , stock ( of your choice) and fun taking care of said. Oh ya, and sharing. Happy reefing

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back