Who remembers Steve Weast's tanks?

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really surprised, no one seems to know what happened to Steves tank.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He lost it due to a water change problem in one night. In his words, not mine, he reacted too fast to a problem and should of just slowed down and thought things thru.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He lost it due to a water change problem in one night. In his words, not mine, he reacted too fast to a problem and should of just slowed down and thought things thru.

Something to do with tap water and prime I believe...

He did have those coldwater tanks for a while after, not sure if they are still around.

Edit : Not sure why I didn't just search instead of relying on 12 year old memory...

Last edited:

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had a skimmer overflow for about 14 hours and lost a large amount of salt water. In a hurry to make more, he used tap water and water conditioner instead of RO/DI - and it wiped out his tank. Here is a link to his account of the whole event, and his comeback.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve's tank was amazing. And Steve's level of detail to the assembly of everything has never been matched. Steve himself was a great guy to talk with. Steve and I spoke several times, and he was glad to share his knowledge and experience(s).

Dave B

RacinJason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really surprised, no one seems to know what happened to Steves tank.
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about it on thereeftank.com ack in the day, he added a-large amount of non-rodi water because he had an emergency and didn't have time to make it, and lost nearly everything. Then he ended up cutting up the tank and throwing it away because it was so big he couldn't even give it away, let alone sell it. It was a beautiful setup and like many others have said, was very inspiring.

Last edited:

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I recently returned to the hobby. I have been out of the hobby for a number of years now but this last Fall, I started up my idle Coldwater tank system which had been sitting empty since 2014.....but this time, I’m returning to my roots with a mostly SPS mixed reef. Back in 2014, I suffered a fall accident off my roof. That fall resulted in the amputation of my right leg. Obviously much has changed in my life since then.....for example, I can now get really good parking.....but I always missed the hobby and decided to return on a more limited basis than before with just my old 400 gallon system now operating as a warm reef.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I recently returned to the hobby. I have been out of the hobby for a number of years now but this last Fall, I started up my idle Coldwater tank system which had been sitting empty since 2014.....but this time, I’m returning to my roots with a mostly SPS mixed reef. Back in 2014, I suffered a fall accident off my roof. That fall resulted in the amputation of my right leg. Obviously much has changed in my life since then.....for example, I can now get really good parking.....but I always missed the hobby and decided to return on a more limited basis than before with just my old 400 gallon system now operating as a warm reef.
Welcome back. I can't wait to see what you do

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I have heard so much about you from Stu Wobbe and Josh Groves, the former co-owners of Cold Water Marine Aquatics. As you might have already guessed, I am a fan of your cold water system!

I did my first cold water system in 2012, it was just a 6.2 gallon AIO system but it left me speechless on the fact that it was just 55F degrees and I was in awe with just that.

Now, I have a 30 gallon AIO in the members area that I just started, it is called:

30 gallon AIO Temperate 55F degrees of COOLNESS!​

Please drop by and please post, any and all will be cherished, Mr. Weast. May your return to reefing be as wonderful and exciting as when you brought us never before temperate systems!

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Glad you have made it through life's challenges. Hope you have a great time with the new tank. I think your old tanks "valley" inspired many to try and recreate it. Thanks very much.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back man!! The hobby is grateful for your return! As others have stated, I too loved your tanks and your ability to aqua scape. Often trying to mimic your design.

corey

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always really liked the reef canyon look. Needs a really deep tank. Seem to recall Alf Nilson had taken that approach also.

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.....I appreciate the welcome back.

My latest iteration takes inspiration from my old 850-gal tank but on a much smaller scale of a 400-gal tank that has more traditional dimensions.

Some of the same features of my old 850-gal system are in this version though....like absolutely no plumbing, return pipes, powerheads, or wires are anywhere visible within the display. It currently features three freestanding rock structures that can be circum-swimed by the fish.....and with two smaller canyons. the display is viewable from two sides in a sort of peninsula configuration.

There is quite a bit of open space in the display and a much more vertical aquascape than most folks have these days. One structure breaks the surface of the 30inch tall tank.

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is always in the eye of the beholder.....there is no right or wrong. Everyone has their own opinion and no opinion is wrong.....for me that will always mean that my displays will always have....

1) a shallow sand bed for realism
2) no hardware, pipes, outlets, wires or frag racks of any size or kind that is visible.
3) an absolutely clean rear panel for visual depth and to give the corals a clean black background to silhouette against. No unauthorized coralline algae growth on the acrylic is allowed in my display no matter how much I have to clean them each day.
4) scale of rock structure is in proportion to open space.
5) no individual specimen is more important than the overall display. My displays mostly feature the most common of corals...I don’t pursue the latest designer corals. I enjoy viewing a display in its entirety far more than the color nuances of an individual coral.
6) my display will always be more white light than blue light...no black light coral glow for me.

Last edited:

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took many of your ideas for my current build (even though it looks totally different), but, I don't think I can ever get something that looks as great as that tank was. Looking forward to seeing your new tank.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back