Who remembers Steve Weast's tanks?

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@steveweast so happy to hear you are making it back into the hobby and so sorry to hear about your fall! You have no idea how many people your original reef inspired (me) and I'm beyond excited to see what you have planned.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@steveweast , it is very inspiring to read the oregonreef.com and I hope we will be able to enjoy the latest built and reef project as well here on the forum.
Glad to hear that you are back.

pop.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve’s tank is the all time most inspiring of all I have ever seen. Best design ever. Steve’s and also David Saxbys reef tanks are better than any other IMO.
Thank you so much @steveweast for keeping your webpage up and running through the years, it is so inspiring. And I think besides really thinking the design through when aquascaping what is most unique and successful with Steve’s tank is that you cannot see any equipment at all, all you see is the rocks, the coral, the clean sandbed, the fish and a clean black background. I’m surprised not more people have copied this. It’s not just about the canyon. It’s more about not seeing any pumps or equipment and keeping everything really clean. I will keep all this in mind when planning my new system.
Steve, do you show any pictures anywhere of your new setup? Maybe add it to your webpage?

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one much for build threads....and my tank is still very young and not much to look since being mostly a few piles of rock....but, I'll try to take a few a photos this week. It's a good reason to dig out the old Canon DSLR again. The current system employs all the traits of the old that you mentioned though....not a single wire, pump or plumbing of any kind is visible with a clean shallow sandbed and spotless black background.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that reef inspired me so much!

Here are some photos of it...

e1b5d0787c0c44d4ba4ffdaf769cec5e.jpg
When I was designing my new tank a few years ago, that was the exact picture that I had in my mind... unfortunately I couldn’t remember the dimensions or who had posted it on RC.
I ended up going with 6’x5’x27” for 500g.
Here is a pic from builder before shipping
1D51AD35-FB56-4B4B-8566-1A5515358BD4.jpeg

And here’s my early aquascaping...
BBEC63C6-BE3D-4F9D-9298-6E506484EE8B.jpeg

In the next few weeks I will be breaking down my 1200g worth of reef tanks to move to a new home. The 500g will have much different rock work and I’m thinking to document the move and rebuild.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not one much for build threads....and my tank is still very young and not much to look since being mostly a few piles of rock....but, I'll try to take a few a photos this week. It's a good reason to dig out the old Canon DSLR again. The current system employs all the traits of the old that you mentioned though....not a single wire, pump or plumbing of any kind is visible with a clean shallow sandbed and spotless black background.

Welcome and we would love to have you share more of your reef! Your old reef is the tank of legend!

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set up is now 1-year old after cycle this month. This is what it looks like now.....a much smaller and more conventional dimensioned tank compared with my previous 850 gal system. However, this tank still employs some of the same techniques of a clean black background and absolutely no visible plumbing, powerheads or cords.

12-6-full tank-b.jpg

Last edited:

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set up is now 1-year old after cycle this month. This is what it looks like now.....a much smaller and more conventional dimensioned tank compared with my previous 850 gal system. However, this tank still employs some of the same techniques of a clean black background and absolutely no visible plumbing, powerheads or cords.

12-6-full tank-b.jpg

Nice!!

What are the dimensions on this one?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

12-6-full tank-b.jpg

Wow it’s already amazing!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Steve! Glad to see you’re back in the hobby. Your 850 gallon was always my favorite over the years and still is. It was the inspiration for my current 500 gallon (72x54x30).
1354A4C6-170D-4389-90BB-2A034D67ABD1.png

What lighting did you go with on your new tank?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back