Who runs an AI Prime on BRS' SPS settings? Does the UV lens burn?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a year and a half with almost no growth from a Bali Green Slimer in my nano, I realized that I was probably way under lighting the tank, at least according to the BRS video I watched. For those not familiar with the BRS video they recommend max settings of:

166% UV, 166% violet, 125% Royal Blue, 125% Blue, 10% Green, 10% Red, and 65% White

and then they recommend adjusting down from their depending on your tanks needs. I opted to try 80% so I'm

125%,125%,100%,100%,8%,8%,52%

but now I'm reading that some people are burning up the UV lens.

So, is anyone out there running high UV on their Prime and NOT burning the lens?

Also truth is I'm at 80% because my Royal Blue and Blue channel won't go higher than 100%. Was there a software update that limited the max setting? Thanks to any with info.

IMG_1856.JPG

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 119% on my UV and116% on the Violet and MELT the lens( own 3 Prime 16HDs)in about 6 months. I just buy new lens ($3.85 each from AI). I've got a stack of them.
I'm pretty sure AI did a software update and limited the max setting. I set my lights more than 2 years ago and haven't used the app since, so no update for me.

I run mine on the AB+ setting from the first video BRS put out on the Prime
UV 119%
Violet 116%
Blues 80%
Red and Green 4%
White 19%
These setting use 32 Watts.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you love it when a company sells you a product that will destroy itself if you use to its full potential?

For reference, this is why I can't recommend AI products anymore. How ridiculous is this. Would you buy speakers that break if they run above 60%? Would you buy a phone that can only run 70% battery before it damages itself? It's ridiculous

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lens burned out as well. Only had it set to 100%. What ever that’s worth. Nice work AI. Had 3 fixtures and not a single one made it 2 years. All failed for different reasons.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lens burned out as well. Only had it set to 100%. What ever that’s worth. Nice work AI. Had 3 fixtures and not a single one made it 2 years. All failed for different reasons.

I had 2 melt and a other had the power supply fail.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but are you still running your big living room cube?

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic, but are you still running your big living room cube?
Yes I am. Thanks for noticing :)

Interesting sidebar. I put a frag of BaliGreen Slimer in the nano and the cube at the same time. You can see that the nano piece did not grow at all, but the piece in the cube absolutely exploded. Light? Water movement? Nutrients? Fish load? All the above? I have no scientific explanation, but I have new respect for people who grow coral well in small systems.

As to the thread topic, thanks for all the replies. Most disappointing to hear. I guess I'll buy some lenses to keep as spares and watch a YouTube video to try and learn how to change them properly. Meanwhile I also turned the UV and Violet channels down to 100% each plus made the look slightly more blue. Now I'm at:

100,100,100,100, 15,3,0,25

Last edited:

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not still running halides are you? Is that the original mag you had?

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 AI prime 16HD's running UV and Violet at 70% for a year. All three lenses were melted through on both diodes, even at these low percentages. I've just changed the lenses and the poor quality fans and have reduced UV and violet channels to 40%. I'm guessing they will still burn through... just at a slower rate. I will not be buying another AI product again.

I'm guessing that if you are running both channels at 125% you will get a few months out of your new lenses at most.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. Thanks for noticing :)

Interesting sidebar. I put a frag of BaliGreen Slimer in the nano and the cube at the same time. You can see that the nano piece did not grow at all, but the piece in the cube absolutely exploded. Light? Water movement? Nutrients? Fish load? All the above? I have no scientific explanation, but I have new respect for people who grow coral well in small systems.

As to the thread topic, thanks for all the replies. Most disappointing to hear. I guess I'll buy some lenses to keep as spares and watch a YouTube video to try and learn how to change them properly. Meanwhile I also turned the UV and Violet channels down to 100% each plus made the look slightly more blue. Now I'm at:

100,100,100,100, 15,3,0,25

Absolutely beautiful tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Led manufacturers would just upgrade their lens material it would be a non issue. What cost increase could thst really be? I think most people would pay an additional $20-30 for a material that can withstand shorter wavelengths long term

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the led itself, the lens that's part of the led. It's the led manufacturer that needs to step up. At least that's the problem with mine. The plastic lense/reflector thing is fine

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Led manufacturers would just upgrade their lens material it would be a non issue. What cost increase could thst really be? I think most people would pay an additional $20-30 for a material that can withstand shorter wavelengths long term
Adding a UV inhibitor to the plastic would prevent UV from passing thru as it converts the UV to heat / infared. Kind of defeats the purpose of the lens and the UV LEDs. Glass would work but you would not get the diffusion properties.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a UV inhibitor to the plastic would prevent UV from passing thru as it converts the UV to heat / infared. Kind of defeats the purpose of the lens and the UV LEDs. Glass would work but you would not get the diffusion properties.

Its not even technically UV. It is 408nm.The melting also occurs on the violet at 411nm

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not even technically UV. It is 408nm.The melting also occurs on the violet at 411nm
LEDs are not exact and the spectrum bleeds both higher and lower around the rated nm range so yes it it ends up being in the UV range, although toward the top. These are typically the ones that fail, not the other spectrum.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back