Who runs blue lights on fuge?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone pose a similar question to this last week. Most fuge lights are heavy on the red spectrum. But red light gets filtered out in the ocean at a certain point where blue light doesn’t. If we blast our SPS with heavy blues, why wouldn’t we do the same for macro?

So the question is: does anyone use white and/or blue for their fuge? I have a small T5 fixture and lots of blue + I could throw in it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that most macro algaes reside in shallower depths, thus would explain the red spectrum being used more for growth. This is truly just anecdotal.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of what spectrum works with macro algaes chlorophyll could explain it better.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that most macro algaes reside in shallower depths, thus would explain the red spectrum being used more for growth. This is truly just anecdotal.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of what spectrum works with macro algaes chlorophyll could explain it better.
There was a thread last week that I can’t find. Someone that grows industrial plants had a great explanation about this. A lot of macro does grow on the surface of shallow water. But something like kelp that can grow in deep water (and get massive) wouldn’t have access to the red spectrum which got me thinking. A reefing buddy of mine is having a hard time keep some sort of macro in his five with those amazon type grow lights.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread last week that I can’t find. Someone that grows industrial plants had a great explanation about this. A lot of macro does grow on the surface of shallow water. But something like kelp that can grow in deep water (and get massive) wouldn’t have access to the red spectrum which got me thinking. A reefing buddy of mine is having a hard time keep some sort of macro in his five with those amazon type grow lights.

As you already know, enough nutrients is needed. Goes without saying.

Macros may be more sensitive to alkalinity at higher ranges above that of NSW.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already know, enough nutrients is needed. Goes without saying.

Macros may be more sensitive to alkalinity at higher ranges above that of NSW.
As for his fuge, that his problem to worry about :p I was at the beach yesterday and got some strands of macro of some type. Trying to grow it in display and will sump it eventually. This stuff grows on the hot sand as well so I’m sure it may not be blue light friendly But we’ll see
FAE260A8-947D-4D53-85D3-256FEC74561F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use blues as i dont grow chaeto or macro in a certain tank and it keeps it under control

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As for his fuge, that his problem to worry about :p I was at the beach yesterday and got some strands of macro of some type. Trying to grow it in display and will sump it eventually. This stuff grows on the hot sand as well so I’m sure it may not be blue light friendly But we’ll see
FAE260A8-947D-4D53-85D3-256FEC74561F.jpeg

Looks like kelp

Back