Who Runs Multiple Tanks, Is It a Pain, or Worth It?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks at the moment. My only gripe would be water test day. It takes me two hours to run a full set of tests on the weekend.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're like me a collector of Anemonefish, Pipefish, shrimp gobies, Stenopus shrimp and other smaller fish or shrimp that don't get along well with other of their kind, you will need a lot of tanks. I will soon be at 30 tanks, mostly 20Ts and 40Bs, with one 100 gallon and one 75 gallon - and that isn't even considering the rack of quarantine tanks and all the larvae tubs and tanks, and of course also not all my phytoplankton and copepod cultures...
It's basically a second fulltime job to keep all that going...

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pain in the butt if their Nanos. Hahaha? If you run Multiple tanks you either need a bigger tank or you want a reef and some Jelly fish. Or you have a QT system. That’s my opinion.

I could see where you’d want multiple tanks for different species or compatibility etc. Not in the Nano world. You don’t want to be doing weekly water changes on multiple tanks etc.

Last edited:

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 tanks running-- 3 marine and 3 freshwater from 20 gallons ( betta barracks) to 440 gallon (marine fish only tank). Three marine tanks allows me to have 1) an all fish show tank 2) a reef tank 3) specialty tank. The fresh allows me to be in the planted tank hobby ( probably my favorite) and a fancy goldfish tank and the better barracks. It IS a lot of work. But in the pandemic and working from home, the work helped keep my sanity!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 & 120 and my maintenance is every Sunday - takes all of an hour or so. Test both for Alk,Cal & Mag. Refill ATOs and clean skimmer cups & ATO sensors. Glass on each gets cleaned twice a week. Both tanks on daily auto feeder pellets and on Sunday they get treated to "brunch" frozen Mysis for fish & littleneck clams for Nems (all 14 of them) A single Apex controls both.
tanks both 2.JPG

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning to have 2 up and running this year. I've done it before. It's not bad if you plan for it and are aware of what you're getting yourself into.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back