Who Runs Multiple Tanks, Is It a Pain, or Worth It?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up a big tank (obligatory shameless build thread promotion), and at the end of that process, all the livestock in my current tank will be transferred over. This will leave me with a perfectly fine 55 gallon tank with a butt load of equipment that cannot be transferred over as it's all HOB (tempered glass, huzzah!). I also will be leaving all the rock and sand behind as it's got lots of pests and I want a clean slate.

So I am left with a dilemma.
Do I sell it all to finance the purchase of livestock?
Convert it to a freshwater tank?
Keep it as is and stock smaller saltwater fish?

I'm inclined for Option 3, but a friend of mine also in the hobby is telling me maintaining two saltwater tanks is a colossal pain. Yet I also met another reefer buying a used sump who has 3 tanks, one of which is 1000 gallons (turbo jealous), and says running them all isn't a big deal.

What do y'all think?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 large tanks (by most standards) and apart from changing media every 4-8 weeks I have nothing to do other than monitor and enjoy

Automation of most processes is the key and in my new big tank every system was planned in detail from the start

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u can connect them.both to same sump you'd take out the pain if having to filter, chill, test and dose 2 different systems. I run 7 connected tanks and putting away the added cost of lighting and flow equipment its basically one big system.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do that. I'd have to trust an HoB style overflow on the 55, as it's 100% tempered glass. Have heard those have...questionable reliability.

As much as I'd love an automated tank, I don't think I will have the budget for it. Haven't even set up an ATO. There's a reason I am hunting for deals on used equipment. :D

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am currently running three tanks and it can be alot of work. I believe its been work because i started two new tanks from scratch at about the same time. My mature reef is easy peasy but the new ones take alot of attention right now. I believe it will get better as they mature though. I dont really use much automation either. I really enjoy reefing though, so i guess i enjoy the work, haha :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi no,problem ,you can run one ,why not more,i run all my systems separate ,up to four rt now ;)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run 3 at the same time. I finally decided that one is best. Just dealing with testing, water changes, common problems became too much for me. I’d have two if I had the time.... and patience.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer. If you’re interested in multiple tanks I think 2-3 tanks with automation can be a sweet spot.

Long answer. I have a 45gal, 12gal, and 10gal. And my 100gal is arriving tomorrow. Putting all this down in words kinda makes me feel like I’m crazy lol BUT my plan is to transfer 45gal livestock to 100gal. Sell 45gal. Keep 12gal as clown and anemone only (it’s 36”L)

Not sure what to do with the 10gal. It’s kind of a ugly cheapo tank but is already established. Might just keep it going in the garage as a ULM setup.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do that. I'd have to trust an HoB style overflow on the 55, as it's 100% tempered glass. Have heard those have...questionable reliability.

As much as I'd love an automated tank, I don't think I will have the budget for it. Haven't even set up an ATO. There's a reason I am hunting for deals on used equipment. :D
You brought up one of the first pieces of equipment that came to mind for me. IMO an ATO is a must with multiple tanks. I tried doing it with only one ATO on my 45gal and none on my other tanks and that was kind of a nightmare. Especially with the smaller systems I have and there fluctuation if not topped off religiously.

IME getting an ATO for each tank made it much more manageable.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my tanks are in the same room. Side by side actually. I'm thinking routine water changes wouldn't be a big problem. Got a floor drain I can siphon water directly down if I wanted to. But the other stuff like algae scraping, blowing out rocks and even feeding the buggers I could see getting pretty time consuming if I end up with 30 different fish with different diets.

I definitely will be looking at ATOs. I know they are pretty cheap, but so am I. Not a good trait to have in this hobby.

I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it setup, but using it exclusively as an invert quarantine. I've had pretty poor survival rates QTing inverts, except hermit crabs. Having an established tank to quarantine I'm sure would have higher survival rates. Or maybe like an invert only tank. I can't have crabs and shrimp in my big one (crunchy eel snacks), but have always wanted them.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of benefits to running two tanks, the biggest imho is having the ability to move animals that are problematic or just not thriving in your main tank to your backup. Another bonus is the ability to own several incompatible species in your collection. Also a backup tank in itself is great way of having complete redundancy in an emergency.

The negatives are that two independent systems is just about twice the amount of work and cost.

If I was going to do it I would probably just raise frags in the secondary tank and a few very passive fish and then move the frags as they get bigger Into my main tank.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my tanks are in the same room. Side by side actually. I'm thinking routine water changes wouldn't be a big problem. Got a floor drain I can siphon water directly down if I wanted to. But the other stuff like algae scraping, blowing out rocks and even feeding the buggers I could see getting pretty time consuming if I end up with 30 different fish with different diets.

I definitely will be looking at ATOs. I know they are pretty cheap, but so am I. Not a good trait to have in this hobby.

I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it setup, but using it exclusively as an invert quarantine. I've had pretty poor survival rates QTing inverts, except hermit crabs. Having an established tank to quarantine I'm sure would have higher survival rates. Or maybe like an invert only tank. I can't have crabs and shrimp in my big one (crunchy eel snacks), but have always wanted them.
I think this sounds like a good plan. There are def things you can do and even experiment with when having multiple tanks. Like you just said about trying to increase your inverts survival rate. That could be interesting and enjoyable.

It’s always good to remember that if it doesn’t work or for whatever reason you don’t like it you can always go back down to one tank. Even if it’s a big pain in the rear. Knowing you have options is always nice and at times easy to overlook.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of benefits to running two tanks, the biggest imho is having the ability to move animals that are problematic or just not thriving in your main tank to your backup. Another bonus is the ability to own several incompatible species in your collection. Also a backup tank in itself is great way of having complete redundancy in an emergency.

The negatives are that two independent systems is just about twice the amount of work and cost.

hit it on the money;Happy I set up my 10gal because of a problematic starry blenny

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only run multiple tanks if they share the same sump. That makes a lot of things a lot easier. I would only opt for two complete separate systems if you need different parameters in the tanks, for example 1 fowlr or softies and 1 pure acro tank.

Because if you have the dedication to run completely different parameters, you also have the dedication to run complete seperate tanks

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very manageable task for me. I have a 660g, 135g and a 50g dropoff tank.
660- saturday
135g - Sundays
50g - tuesday and fridays

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it comes down to what you want to use the tank for. If you are really into growing corals, then having a separate tank to use as a frag tank is a good idea (but shared sump would make life easier). If you're wanting a quarantine tank, then that's a good option. If you're wanting a separate system to keep certain fish you can't in your main display or have a separate theme type tank in mind (like clownfish and anemone tank), then I think it would be fine to do two.

Personally, I had two separate display tanks once before, and I swore never again. For me, the incremental extra work just took the enjoyment out of both tanks for me and I started viewing it as a chore to keep both up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do two tanks just because you have the extra tank laying around and feel like you should be doing sonething with it. But if you can put it to good use and will enjoy it versus resenting it and seeing it as work, then go for it. You can always break it down later if you decide it's not for you. I just wouldn't dump a bunch of money into it or would only buy stuff you can use in your main display tank anyway if you decide two tanks isn't for you.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a standard 55 gallon, long and skinny, I'd ditch it. If it were a frag tank that would complement my new big tank, I'd keep it. It also depends on your stocking goals. What about using it to cycle rocks or observational QT or something?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 120 display and a 45 frag system. They are seperate systems.
No automation other than ato's.
Carx runs no controller or ph probe.
2 part on frag system.
I run a no scheduled water change system so not much to do but dose 2 part and trace daily. Takes maybe 10 minutes.
Working on a 3x my 120 upgrade.
Should have went big from the start, lol.
Frag system will stay as its nice to have a seperate system to hold overgrown colonies I remove and turn into frags for others.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much easier if tied to same sump.
Testing, filtration, ato all the same

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on setting up a big tank (obligatory shameless build thread promotion), and at the end of that process, all the livestock in my current tank will be transferred over. This will leave me with a perfectly fine 55 gallon tank with a butt load of equipment that cannot be transferred over as it's all HOB (tempered glass, huzzah!). I also will be leaving all the rock and sand behind as it's got lots of pests and I want a clean slate.

So I am left with a dilemma.
Do I sell it all to finance the purchase of livestock?
Convert it to a freshwater tank?
Keep it as is and stock smaller saltwater fish?

I'm inclined for Option 3, but a friend of mine also in the hobby is telling me maintaining two saltwater tanks is a colossal pain. Yet I also met another reefer buying a used sump who has 3 tanks, one of which is 1000 gallons (turbo jealous), and says running them all isn't a big deal.

What do y'all think?
Set up a high nutrient marcro algea tank with low stocking. Then when you do a water change on your clean reef you can do a water change with the same water to your macro algea tank. This will also give you a place to put fish or livestock that needs to be moved from your display. Like if a softie isnt doing so hot in my reef I can usally put it in my macro algea tank and have it turn around. 1 reef is a handful 2 reefs and now you got alot of work but it's all personal preference.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back