Who uses red sea reef nutrition A and B?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some input,

what have you noticed good or bad?

How do you dose it? Manually or doser?
If using a doser how do you keep it cool? What temp do you maintain?

Would you recommend it or not?

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for a solid 2 months. It requires refrigeration so doser isn't a good idea. Long story VERY short I didn't notice much of anything. It is essentially amino acids with some other organic compound that must require the refrigeration. For that I switched to Acropower which is an amino acid without the organics and does not need to stay cold. I now have that in my doser running daily.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it for years and dose manually (because of the refrigeration issue) every week or so but it depends on nutrient levels. I have plenty of nitrate and fish so plenty of food for the corals so I don’t use it every day.

I think you would notice more of an impact if your running very low nutrients

I also use Reef Roids as well on a similar dosing routine

Their bringing out a new one, Reef Energy AB+ which doesn’t need refrigeration

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should give a little background on my reasoning for asking.

I recently added a new larger sump and frag tank to my existing system. Shortly after doing so my nutrients bottomed out and i lost alot of acros to stn, they slowly faded out then receded from the bottom up. I did everything I could to try and save them I dosed nitrates and phosphates to get my levels back on the charts. Nitrates are about 6 and po4 is about .15, which is very close to where everything was before the change. But I continued to loose acros, slowly but definitly losing them. I fed extremely heavy, dosed reef roids every day and it seemed to finally slow down but any coral that started, finished.
For the chemistry questions, alk 8.2, cal460, mag 1340,

I purchased the red sea nutrition bc I'm hoping this will replenish what I took away. I did notice within an hour of the first dose the corals had polyp extension I havent seen in weeks. so I'm hoping that it's a good sign. My main conserns are causing an algae explosion of sorts. I plan on using this on a doser and I have a small 6 pack electric fridge I was going to modify to accommodate the dosing tubes. But not sure if itll keep it cold enough.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should give a little background on my reasoning for asking.

I recently added a new larger sump and frag tank to my existing system. Shortly after doing so my nutrients bottomed out and i lost alot of acros to stn, they slowly faded out then receded from the bottom up. I did everything I could to try and save them I dosed nitrates and phosphates to get my levels back on the charts. Nitrates are about 6 and po4 is about .15, which is very close to where everything was before the change. But I continued to loose acros, slowly but definitly losing them. I fed extremely heavy, dosed reef roids every day and it seemed to finally slow down but any coral that started, finished.
For the chemistry questions, alk 8.2, cal460, mag 1340,

I purchased the red sea nutrition bc I'm hoping this will replenish what I took away. I did notice within an hour of the first dose the corals had polyp extension I havent seen in weeks. so I'm hoping that it's a good sign. My main conserns are causing an algae explosion of sorts. I plan on using this on a doser and I have a small 6 pack electric fridge I was going to modify to accommodate the dosing tubes. But not sure if itll keep it cold enough.
So i personally did not have an algae explosion from it. I also do not dose nitrates or po4. My tank is a mixed reef and probably stocked on the heavy side if im being honest. I dont know how it would effect your specific situation.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate is a little on the high side and a good target is around 0.03 as your approaching levels were you could trigger some unwanted algae, like GHA for example. So my recommendation would be to get the phosphate locked down by whatever means you need to. I personally use rhowaphos.

Corals need food, and nitrate and fish waste is food so an easy solution is to increase fish numbers and feed them. My corals glow with life at around 15-20ppm nitrate as there is plenty of food around.

Reef energy will certainly help if your running low nutrients, but it needs refrigeration

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it for years and dose manually (because of the refrigeration issue) every week or so but it depends on nutrient levels. I have plenty of nitrate and fish so plenty of food for the corals so I don’t use it every day.

I think you would notice more of an impact if your running very low nutrients

I also use Reef Roids as well on a similar dosing routine

Their bringing out a new one, Reef Energy AB+ which doesn’t need refrigeration
This is what I do as well!

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept po4 that low. Any time I have I have found color loss in my systems. I have always kept a targeted range of .08-.16 with my nitrates between 4-8ppm. Never had a problem. As for adding more fish... I'd love to but I think I'm pretty much over the safe limit and anyone here would probably give me a hard time if I said how many fish were actually in my system Haha. I dont run any gfo or rowaphos.. back when I needed to remove po4 I dosed lanthanum. But the situation now was bc of literally doubling my water volume and increasing my filtration capacity by almost double has caused the bottoming out of nutrients, Nitrates and phosphates. Which is the only reason I've had to dose it. my concern is for the acros basically starving. Now I should mention that all my other non acropora corals are doing fantastic lol. Its just the acros.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it daily and love it. It has had a noticeable impact on coral growth. I mainly see an impact on corals that have lost tissue and sps.
This is what I was hoping to achieve with the dosing of this product.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose manually. I use their coral colors and big three. Not sure if it is the nutrition or the trace but colors are much more vivid and fluffy

07369DDD-8A5A-4864-B4BB-50AE01F3273A.jpeg 1F449435-148F-41FC-A0E2-4DE308AED8D0.jpeg 55A21483-3EE7-4081-A681-563320108111.jpeg 91200E1C-9E06-427A-9BDA-532F8E4BA359.jpeg B7EB7645-C89D-400A-952F-5B354FA62B9D.jpeg 8D24DF62-9FAB-4EC5-8DB1-B2869C6E8E87.jpeg 68836B61-C372-4216-8AAA-F8F68626FF1C.jpeg 2D5FDE62-614F-44FF-9681-E19A1D889C91.jpeg

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the coral color 4 part and I test for it as well to make sure I'm not overdosing. I know they give a formula for dosing them with a calcium dosing schedule. But I use a calcium reactor to maintain my big 3. I did notice a nice color boost when I started the 4 part coral colors about a year ago. But my ever tinkering self decided it would be a great idea to move the sump to the basement (going from a 20g under the tank to a 75g) and then add a 30g frag tank and my acros decided they wanted no part in it lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed it daily for about a year. I had great results with it compared to Fuel. Decent growth and coloration all around. It was giving me some ulva algae outbreaks so I started using vibrant with it. Which over time I felt started weakening my acros specifically. So to keep the Ulva down and keep my corals healthy I decided to switch to zeovit, I’ve been doing it three weeks and already can tell a tremendous change in growth and coloration. It is incredible to see the changes so quickly, I was not expecting that.
I’ve tried a lot of aminos and coral care systems, I would rank them from worst to best for growth and coloration: acropower, brightwell, aquavitro, Red Sea, zeovit

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed it daily for about a year. I had great results with it compared to Fuel. Decent growth and coloration all around. It was giving me some ulva algae outbreaks so I started using vibrant with it. Which over time I felt started weakening my acros specifically. So to keep the Ulva down and keep my corals healthy I decided to switch to zeovit, I’ve been doing it three weeks and already can tell a tremendous change in growth and coloration. It is incredible to see the changes so quickly, I was not expecting that.
I’ve tried a lot of aminos and coral care systems, I would rank them from worst to best for growth and coloration: acropower, brightwell, aquavitro, Red Sea, zeovit
I did the zeovit years ago and as much as I loved it I hated it. I felt like every day I was spending more time shaking, dripping and measuring than I actually was enjoying the coral. Color was amazing. But that's besides the point. I do feel that red sea is right behind it with a mixture of ease and usability. I use the salt, 4 part coral color(dosed with a doser) and now the nutrition. Which I also plan on using a doser and modifying this fridge to acomidate the bottles.

15817030639463791561833028378479.jpg

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the whole program (except the carbon I only add a small dose to a reactor once a week) for a mixed reef and would recommend it. Only eight months in the hobby so not sure how it does with sps
I run carbon in a reactor but not at all times. I do it every few weeks for a week or so. I try not to strip the water too much. I also run a uv for water clarity. So the carbon really is only for absorption of anything negative that may be in the water column.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the zeovit years ago and as much as I loved it I hated it. I felt like every day I was spending more time shaking, dripping and measuring than I actually was enjoying the coral. Color was amazing. But that's besides the point. I do feel that red sea is right behind it with a mixture of ease and usability. I use the salt, 4 part coral color(dosed with a doser) and now the nutrition. Which I also plan on using a doser and modifying this fridge to acomidate the bottles.

15817030639463791561833028378479.jpg
Nice nice! That fridge is perfect!
I don’t mind the dosing with zeovit so far, but I work from home most of the time, so it hasn’t really become an issue for me. Still lots of hours to enjoy the tank :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I USE IT NIGHTLY WITH RESULTS SHOWN PRIOR TO NOT USING IT

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nice! That fridge is perfect!
I don’t mind the dosing with zeovit so far, but I work from home most of the time, so it hasn’t really become an issue for me. Still lots of hours to enjoy the tank :)
Dont get me wrong it was worth every second of it. Expecially when I had all sps, but it's like having a dog. You can't really go away for too long, gotta be home by the end of the day to walk him, or in zeovit case, shake, measure and dose lol.

It's been nice since getting a calcium reactor running, now I'm using the kamoer peristalic pump to control return rate, the 4 part is automated and this will be automated (once I get a figure for what I want to dose and how often) honestly all I do Is test once a week and do a water change every 2 or 3 weeks. And my new sump actually has a water change chamber built in and drains right to my drain line. So that's a 15min job. It's been great. NOW IF I CAN JUST GET MY ACROS BACK ID BE HAPPY LOL!!!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back