Who uses red sea reef nutrition A and B?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get me wrong it was worth every second of it. Expecially when I had all sps, but it's like having a dog. You can't really go away for too long, gotta be home by the end of the day to walk him, or in zeovit case, shake, measure and dose lol.

It's been nice since getting a calcium reactor running, now I'm using the kamoer peristalic pump to control return rate, the 4 part is automated and this will be automated (once I get a figure for what I want to dose and how often) honestly all I do Is test once a week and do a water change every 2 or 3 weeks. And my new sump actually has a water change chamber built in and drains right to my drain line. So that's a 15min job. It's been great. NOW IF I CAN JUST GET MY ACROS BACK ID BE HAPPY LOL!!!!
Wow that’s a sweet setup! I would love a floor drain. CaRx will for sure be on my next tank too.
One thing about the reef energy though is I found them to be the most consistent if you shake them right before measuring, one of the components has a reef roid type particle that settles to the bottom that is intended to be suspended in the liquid. Some bottles smell different too which was always concerning to me. Some smelled like apple juice, some smelled like aquavitro fuel(amino smell), some didn’t smell like anything. Just an observation, lol. I like consistency.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a sweet setup! I would love a floor drain. CaRx will for sure be on my next tank too.
One thing about the reef energy though is I found them to be the most consistent if you shake them right before measuring, one of the components has a reef roid type particle that settles to the bottom that is intended to be suspended in the liquid. Some bottles smell different too which was always concerning to me. Some smelled like apple juice, some smelled like aquavitro fuel(amino smell), some didn’t smell like anything. Just an observation, lol. I like consistency.
Yea I hear ya on that. Funny I smell everything that goes into the tank. Some stuff smells like you walked into a florist or herbal store. Crazy. Lol. I was planning on using the dosing set up directions that came with the a and b. the cap has ahose fitting on it to allow hookup right to a doser tube and the inside as well. Heres a pic of the direction card.

15817041544941340392730784239910.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hear ya on that. Funny I smell everything that goes into the tank. Some stuff smells like you walked into a florist or herbal store. Crazy. Lol. I was planning on using the dosing set up directions that came with the a and b. the cap has ahose fitting on it to allow hookup right to a doser tube and the inside as well. Heres a pic of the direction card.

15817041544941340392730784239910.jpg
Lol, glad I’m not alone on that one, haha.
Oh cool, that should work fine with the hose touching the bottom to snag those particles that settle to the bottom.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, glad I’m not alone on that one, haha.
Oh cool, that should work fine with the hose touching the bottom to snag those particles that settle to the bottom.
Well I'll keep everyone posted and well see how it goes. Today was dose #2.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get me wrong it was worth every second of it. Expecially when I had all sps, but it's like having a dog. You can't really go away for too long, gotta be home by the end of the day to walk him, or in zeovit case, shake, measure and dose lol.

It's been nice since getting a calcium reactor running, now I'm using the kamoer peristalic pump to control return rate, the 4 part is automated and this will be automated (once I get a figure for what I want to dose and how often) honestly all I do Is test once a week and do a water change every 2 or 3 weeks. And my new sump actually has a water change chamber built in and drains right to my drain line. So that's a 15min job. It's been great. NOW IF I CAN JUST GET MY ACROS BACK ID BE HAPPY LOL!!!!

Does zeovit impact ph at all?

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dose part b. I have seen a phosphate spike when dosing part a that I don't get when doing part b. I like to spot feed it to recover corals too.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does zeovit impact ph at all?
Not that I ever noticed. But I always ran a fresh air line to my skimmers to buffer the ph. Zeo is very big on running a 7-7.5 dkh in their systems. But that has alot to do with basically running a ULNS or very low nutrient system, and preventing alk burn. Zeo basically short cuts the nitrogen cycle by absorbing amonia directly into the zeolites, which creates a bacterial mulm, this is why the reactor needs to be shook daily, it removed the mulm, which allows the zeolites to continue to absorb the amonia and the bacteria that is released into the water column becomes food for your corals. It's a very, very, almost too efficient way of creating low nutrients. Which is y you have all of those elements that needed to be dosed daily to maintain color, zoanthele thickness, as well and the needed macro elements for continued health and growth.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for all that havent seen my build thread,
A. Check it out, lol.
B. Heres a current full tank shot, some may say it looks great, I say it's just wrong lol. There is only 8 sps colonies left in the tank from over 35 previously. No thank god I dodnt loose them all, but i removed them and put them in my frag tank were i wasnt loosing any. And so far so good they're doing well.

My frag tank is still dealing with a little bit of the new tank uglies. But most is gone. And I'm fighting off the last bit of growth with a toothbrush and a filter sock lol. Heres also a few pics of my frag tank... its only 30 gallons (24x24) and was supposed to be for collecting new and growing. But has become a hospital of sorts.

20200214_141721.jpg 20200214_141721.jpg 20200214_141914.jpg 20200214_141923.jpg 20200214_142006.jpg 20200214_141954.jpg 20200214_141957.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog, when you say you feed with zeovit, which product(s) are you using?
ZEObak, zeostart, flatworm stop, amino acid concentrate, coral vitalizer, coral snow, sponge power, and the coral system for traces part 1,2,3,4. No Zeolites or reactor like @ycnibrc does.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZEObak, zeostart, flatworm stop, amino acid concentrate, coral vitalizer, coral snow, sponge power, and the coral system for traces part 1,2,3,4. No Zeolites or reactor like @ycnibrc does.
Ah I never ran the system without. But I've started seeing some really amazing acro tanks having a standard reactor with mix of zeolites and carbon but not running any of their other products.

I did like using pohls extra, and zeo spur2(use with caution) really brought out the colors. The sponge power is great too but I noticed I had an explosion of pineapple sponges and some other type of stringy yellow sponges after using it for a while. Never really a concern for me but when I stopped using it they went away.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have a recommendation for when the best time to dose is? I would think right as the lights are coming on so they have the energy to absorb as much of the light as possible? But maybe I'm wrong? Lol. Bc when I go to the gym I want carbs after my workout lol. Haha

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I ever noticed. But I always ran a fresh air line to my skimmers to buffer the ph. Zeo is very big on running a 7-7.5 dkh in their systems. But that has alot to do with basically running a ULNS or very low nutrient system, and preventing alk burn. Zeo basically short cuts the nitrogen cycle by absorbing amonia directly into the zeolites, which creates a bacterial mulm, this is why the reactor needs to be shook daily, it removed the mulm, which allows the zeolites to continue to absorb the amonia and the bacteria that is released into the water column becomes food for your corals. It's a very, very, almost too efficient way of creating low nutrients. Which is y you have all of those elements that needed to be dosed daily to maintain color, zoanthele thickness, as well and the needed macro elements for continued health and growth.
Does the zeolite mulm create a white snot like film that collects in pumps and dumps like carbon dosing can?

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the zeolite mulm create a white snot like film that collects in pumps and dumps like carbon dosing can?
Not really snot like. But definitly white, looks more like a white film that breaks up into small flake like filaments.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using a combination of coral pro salt, A/B Foundation Supplement (Daily), Reef Energy A/B (Daily) and A/B/C/D Color Supplement (Daily) for about 3 months now, and I could not be happier. My tank had previously gone through 3 crashes over a 2 year window, and this is the most LIFE/COLOR as well as growth I have seen in my tank in some time. It does suck that the RE A/B has to be refrigerated, but to me its for sure worth it.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon in a reactor but not at all times. I do it every few weeks for a week or so. I try not to strip the water too much. I also run a uv for water clarity. So the carbon really is only for absorption of anything negative that may be in the water column.
I am sorry I should have clarified. I do not use carbon. I use purigen for clarity thought about a uv but not sure if it would pull the phytoplankton I dose out of the water column. I carbon dose a reactor once a week with nopox or vodka usually rotate the two

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a combination of coral pro salt, A/B Foundation Supplement (Daily), Reef Energy A/B (Daily) and A/B/C/D Color Supplement (Daily) for about 3 months now, and I could not be happier. My tank had previously gone through 3 crashes over a 2 year window, and this is the most LIFE/COLOR as well as growth I have seen in my tank in some time. It does suck that the RE A/B has to be refrigerated, but to me its for sure worth it.
I choose to use the Red Sea program since I am fairly new to the hobby and I liked the fact that it is a complete system and gives you directions but I works and the corals look great

Back