Who uses the Red Sea reefer black sponge?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about taking this out. What has everyone done? Right now I use it cut in half and the end without sponge I have a bag of Purigen. Seems like it’s unneeded if you don’t have micro bubbles from a skimmer and don’t have a fuge. Thinking of Trying to get a bag of carbon down in it.
Ideas?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That could work. If you leave it, it definitely needs regular cleaning. I'd think replacing it with media bags would be a good call.

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have it after 20 months of running the reefer. I never had any trouble with it and its filled with sponges, tunicates and whatnot. i also never had to clean it because I use filter floss

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have it after 20 months of running the reefer. I never had any trouble with it and its filled with sponges, tunicates and whatnot. i also never had to clean it because I use filter floss
Same here, had mine in my RSR 250 for 2 1/2 years now. I originally cleaned it every 4-6 weeks but stopped that a year ago as it was clear it didn’t really need it. I haven’t touched it since then. My new RSR 525 has been running for 7 weeks now and it has the stock sponge also, don’t plan on touching it unless I need To.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don’t run it I will end up with too many micro bubbles, I have enough already.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back