Who's afraid of anemones?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all my tube nems in either PVC pipes or bottle (just make sure there is an opening at the end so they can grow) since I have a bare bottom. This way I can move them as needed as they grow. Their sting has killed a frogspawn, almost killed a BTA, and wiped out a large Hollywood stunner chalice...
C7201420-DB75-4ADA-9D13-FBE0BD9C26DF.jpeg

Your tank looks very unique with those tube nems, I don’t see many around. How do they go with fish?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a great thread , long ago I started a nem tank , so I didnt have to deal with the warfare lolz. Im loving all the husbandry experiences though , this is gold for the community . I have personally decided that almost all coral has a personality despite its prescribed behavior from books. I have had "non agressive" mushrooms reach out and nuke other "aggresive" corals nems that sting others that dont, and those xenia lolz they are 1000% impervious to everything the true no f$%^s given coral for sure. I had one colony that was just thriving growing around a massive acan echinata warpaint colony aptly dubbed " Bruce Lee" and it didnt even get phazed for over a year. I thought it would take care of the colony for me but still have to pick it out :( lol

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The photo is a few months old, the tank is going to be 1 year old in a couple of weeks and I need to update it.

The photo is a still from this video, when the tank was 8 months old.

Another deceptively peaceful looking coral is the goniopora. I suspect at least some of them can handle the BTA's. I had to move the red goniopora down a bit because the purple one was launching long sweeper and was damaging it,

Love your tank and your video!

Sodaman227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I will keep updating this thread according to the experience other members have and post here).

LIST OF CORALS ABLE TO COEXIST WITH BTA'S:

- Pavona (mixed reports)
- Frogspawns
- Torches
- Xenias
- Plates (green fungia)
- Favia
- Tougher paly's
- Hydnophora
- Some montiporas digitata

Currently testing:

- Milka Stylo and green slimer acro.

-------------------

I placed this milka stylo in the middle of my BTA colony and at least for now, it seems that the anemones avoid it.

I have seen them immediately retract their tentacles if they brush against the milka.

20200306_153919.jpg

Xenias are even worse for the anemones. They don't seem affected at all by their sting and in weeks, they manage to evict them.

I am also testing how an acro fares near xenias and anemones.

20200306_154828.jpg
My black widow is laying on my photosynthetic blue purple sponge. It does not bother it
399284F7-08E4-40F5-9D2D-78E1F1720B61.jpeg
70DBEF86-10FC-4988-BEF8-06ED4B882275.jpeg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change carbon every couple of weeks. When they spawn I change it immediately.
Why do this ? I've had a BTA for a couple of months now, and the dang thing has split into 5 already ! Grows like a weed, but I've never done this with my carbon ?

Also, have a tube anemone. Both have stayed put for the most part, although the lastest BTA split, one left the rock where the other 4 are at and moved up closer to the front....seems okay for now.

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the one up front that I was talking about...to the left of the hammer.

tank3.jpg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do this ? I've had a BTA for a couple of months now, and the dang thing has split into 5 already ! Grows like a weed, but I've never done this with my carbon ?

Also, have a tube anemone. Both have stayed put for the most part, although the lastest BTA split, one left the rock where the other 4 are at and moved up closer to the front....seems okay for now.

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg

I had four of my Anemones split within a one month period. Turned into a dang Anemone tank. I had to get rid of some

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RBT.jpg tube anem.jpg

I change carbon often to reduce chemical warfare and to increase the odds of having viable carbon in the tank when something bad happens.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rbta is parked next to Xenia, elephant skin and an elegance and they are doing fine. However, my Hollywood stunner not so well.

EE84E8AD-8740-4854-8BFB-02ACA4655B5A.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back