Who's got a Red Sea 200 G2? d2mini wants to know!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been in the new house for 6 months now and starting to look at tanks to get me back into the hobby. Instead of getting bigger, I seem to be on the other side of the curve where my tanks keep getting smaller. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: This time I'm just looking for something to fit in my home office and I don't have a lot of space. The RS 200 would be perfect for the spot I have and I've always been a big fan of cube tanks which this one almost is. And Red Sea is local to me.

Just curious who has one and how is it?
My last tank was Waterbox (was freshwater but loved the tank) and my Reef before that was Elos (amazingly built tank).
My biggest concern is quality as I've seen some issues with leaks on RS tanks. Could be user error though, you never know.
And how is the sump?
What about the RS Skimmer?
Reefmat vs Fuge? (I'm normally a huge fuge fan :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: )
Still have my Profilux gear for control and dosing.
Current plan is to go with the Reef Moonshiners for dosing and little to know water changes.
Any regrets? Must-haves/Must-do's?

That's it for now so let me have it!
Plenty of time to figure stuff out, no rush. Looking at a fall/winter build.

TIA!

1661367534217.png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42/G?! Come on…at least throw a 60/G cube in there!!
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
It's 53g so ALMOST there! lol 24x22.6x21
No one is making decent sized cube(ish) tanks, at least in these all inclusive type setups. I asked Waterbox about any future plans and they said nothing at the moment. Apparently cube tanks are like hatchbacks in the USA. A few of us know how great they are but most of the population is blissfully unaware. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You couldn't give me another 2 foot cube. Made that mistake once and won't do it again. Super hard to scape. Not big enough for any utilitarian fish. Sump and storage space sucks.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Purchased the 200XL G2 as soon as it was released for me. Mine has been up since May 16.

I am running mine with Reefmat 500, Reef Octopus 110sss skimmer (Nyos 120 on hand to upgrade) XR30 Gen 5 blue. Took out the stock ato and running a refugium. Check out my build thread for more info.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You couldn't give me another 2 foot cube. Made that mistake once and won't do it again. Super hard to scape. Not big enough for any utilitarian fish. Sump and storage space sucks.
ha! They are definitely a challenge. My 3 footer was fine. 2 is tougher. But.... a 24 x 22 (or 24) is still better than a 24 x18! Instead of thinking of it like a 53g that is hard to scape, think of it like a 40g (or whatever) that has extra room. This is why "deep dimension" tanks are popular, which is basically what this is since it's not quite a cube. I guess what I'm saying is that if you can't change the length of the tank, more depth is always better. It's a nano tank so ya, obviously you are limited to nano-size fish.

Another tank I have considered is the Neptunian Cube M90 which would JUST fit in the space I have. But it would be tight and the dims are 35.4 x 21.6. Almost 12" longer but 1" less depth.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ha! They are definitely a challenge. My 3 footer was fine. 2 is tougher. But.... a 24 x 22 (or 24) is still better than a 24 x18! Instead of thinking of it like a 53g that is hard to scape, think of it like a 40g (or whatever) that has extra room. This is why "deep dimension" tanks are popular, which is basically what this is since it's not quite a cube. I guess what I'm saying is that if you can't change the length of the tank, more depth is always better. It's a nano tank so ya, obviously you are limited to nano-size fish.

Another tank I have considered is the Neptunian Cube M90 which would JUST fit in the space I have. But it would be tight and the dims are 35.4 x 21.6. Almost 12" longer but 1" less depth.

Mine was 24*24*20. I'd rather have a 36*18*16 40B (which I've had multiple of over the years.)

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D7F6863C-4F6F-4701-9650-8223FF2BA13C.jpeg
With that breaker box being so close, I don’t think I would be able to resist. Just planted a seed that’s all… lol
I recently moved my office to the garage and kinda wish I would have put my tank in there now. In the meantime, it gives me room for phyto culturing and a permanent qt.

That vehicle in the mirror would be a great spot too : )

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D7F6863C-4F6F-4701-9650-8223FF2BA13C.jpeg
With that breaker box being so close, I don’t think I would be able to resist. Just planted a seed that’s all… lol
I recently moved my office to the garage and kinda wish I would have put my tank in there now. In the meantime, it gives me room for phyto culturing and a permanent qt.

That vehicle in the mirror would be a great spot too : )
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
LOL, ya we actually added that extra 9' to the garage specifically for the gym and to not have to use a fold out unit.
I'm in there every morning at 5am! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
I also made it a point to make sure the MINI gets to sleep in the garage this time. :winking-face-with-tongue:

That garage fish room setup I used to have was the bomb but I could never have the main display in the garage, its just too hot. And that's just the entry hall behind the gym wall, not a good spot for a tank. So all kidding aside, even if I wanted to, this garage just isn't conducive to anything aquarium related.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You old 3’ was a sick little cube!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Howdy d2mini,
Can't comment on cubes but want to thank you for the amazing vintage TBS photos you shared with us.
The photo of Richard throwing out a net bag is our fav!
Best wishes with your new tank journey, can't wait to see what you do.

20120813P8130020_TBS.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy d2mini,
Can't comment on cubes but want to thank you for the amazing vintage TBS photos you shared with us.
The photo of Richard throwing out a net bag is our fav!
Best wishes with your new tank journey, can't wait to see what you do.

20120813P8130020_TBS.jpg
Thanks!
Will be in touch this fall hopefully! :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dennis, Long time, hope all is well with you & the family.
Take a look @ the above site, see if it fits.
Hey Snoop, I forgot about IM and didn't realize how many sizes they have. Love the dims of that 112. I don't think I have the room for it though. :( Nice stands too... aluminum. Hmmmm...

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still 70's & 50's.
I sold the big one after a bought with???
The kids swear Covid but all tests were negative.
I'm going with a 100 INT.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back