Who's insurance company covers water damage?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice thread. I have been meaning to ask our company about this! Will report back!

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
State Farm covers any damage caused by the aquarium, but they will not cover the tank/stand/aquarium equipment. After we moved into our new home, our State Farm agent contacted State Farm's claim department (Adjustors), and they made it clear that any damage caused by the tank would be covered but not the tank itself.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the usaa covers it I will have to look deeper into it when I get the papers but as of yesterday I am covered

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAA renter's insurance. Covers damage caused to the building and property loss by another tenant due to my tanks's failure. Doesnt cover loss of tank or equipment. However if a tank broke my wife would veto replacing the tank.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it seems like many of you with the same company have varying degrees of coverage. I am sure that it is probably individuals ideas on what is covered and what is not. I would really like to see something concrete on this subject.

DRoth335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have Shelter and they do cover it...as we found out the hard way when our 210 split a seam in 2012 (a lovely Valentines day to remember). Damage to our home was around $11,000 and we only paid the$500 deductible. It did not cover the tank or inhabitants (which we saved virtually all of them).

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does, mine also covers the tank and all associated equipment just no livestock.

So if my tank cracks leaks over my dosers, led lights fall down and break and ruin the floor they will replace the lot.

I'm in the UK though and they are not as shifty as the impression the US providers are :)

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My homeowners insurance from State Farm covers any damage caused by the tank, didn't ask about livestock etc. I didn't have to add anything, they said it is no different than a washing machine overflowing or something like that.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
State Farm covers any damage caused by the aquarium, but they will not cover the tank/stand/aquarium equipment. After we moved into our new home, our State Farm agent contacted State Farm's claim department (Adjustors), and they made it clear that any damage caused by the tank would be covered but not the tank itself.

So they won't cover a couch or tv damaged by the aquarium? If they do then what makes aquarium equipment and electronics any different than the rest of your personal property. Sounds sketchy to me.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally just checked mine this afternoon for the new 300 gallon in the wall. State Farm!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of this. I assumed it would be covered. I'll have to call them tomorrow. I have Commerce in Massachusetts.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if my State Farm covers the actual tank, livestock, etc. I was way more concerned about 240 gallons flooding my house. I did tell them about the tank, that it was Saltwater and that the only reason I was getting the renter's insurance was to be double sure that if the homeowner's insurance did not cover it, this policy would.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the hard questions of my insurance company several months ago. The answer I got was it didn't matter if the tank broke naturally or if I did something that caused it. They would not cover the tank or inhabitants, but they would cover all other damage etc... so if the electronics, pumps, floors, walls, or anything else was damaged due to the water.... then those are covered.

I also found out if I had a tank fire, lightning took out the apex etc... I'm covered. Then they got the shock of their lives when I gave them a dollar amount .

Back