Who's insurance company covers water damage?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my recent upgraded system, it got me thinking what if.

Most of us have seen the threads about tank failure and the disaster from the aftermath.

I called my insurance company (travelers) and they do not cover water damage from an aquarium failure. They also do not offer any coverage I can pay for to cover the damage the water would cause.

Does anyone know if their insurance company does cover it? Of if you have had a tank failure and your insurance company did cover it, who are they?

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the insurance company and the individual level of coverage, not to mention the specific adjuster if a claim is made.

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't offer a policy that specifically covers water damage but after pushing them to cover my tank, they suggested adding a liability policy to my renters (couple bucks a month). This covers any damage or injuries caused by accident or negligence on my part, including water damage. I have usaa but I imagine they'd all work the same.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't offer a policy that specifically covers water damage but after pushing them to cover my tank, they suggested adding a liability policy to my renters (couple bucks a month). This covers any damage or injuries caused by accident or negligence on my part, including water damage. I have usaa but I imagine they'd all work the same.
Yea travelers said any damage caused by the water from the tank would not be covered. And there was no coverage I could get extra to cover it. They would however cover the cost of the tank and equipment.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have State Farm. When we got our 240g, we added a renter's policy to our automobile policies for the specific reason that I was worried about something happening with all that water. They assured me that water damage due to a tank leak, etc would be covered. My premium actually went down a couple bucks a month too. Makes no sense to me that adding more coverage lowers payments, but I'm okay with it.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have State Farm. When we got our 240g, we added a renter's policy to our automobile policies for the specific reason that I was worried about something happening with all that water. They assured me that water damage due to a tank leak, etc would be covered. My premium actually went down a couple bucks a month too. Makes no sense to me that adding more coverage lowers payments, but I'm okay with it.

My overall dropped because I was bundled. Car insurance and renters. I'm also State Farm.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll be checking our State Farm...

Who else knows their insurance company covers their tanks water damage?

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overall dropped because I was bundled. Car insurance and renters. I'm also State Farm.

Yeah...they bundled mine too. I just don't get how adding something (a home) makes the rate go down. They are now insuring something that is 6x more valuable than our vehicles and charging me $25 less annually. Weird math, but I'm good with it. [emoji3]

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll be checking our State Farm...

Who else knows their insurance company covers their tanks water damage?
American Family, I called a local branch and they were much more willing to find a policy that works than most of the phone agents (think progressive, geico etc.)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for this thread
I didn't even think about insurance but I'm calling now

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horace Mann covers mine. I was adding an umbrella policy and the agent saw the tank and didn't think it was covered. He took pictures and checked with the powers that be.... it's covered without any additional cost.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure to contact my insurance company with my upgrade to a 126g and sure enough, coverage from water damage is inclusive of the saltwater tank. Phew. :)

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who think their insurance covers it, please share your company name, but do this first.

Call them, and ask them these questions:
If my aquarium breaks, is any water damage covered resulting from the broken aquarium? If water damage is covered, what kind of water?

Most agents will sucker you by saying, 'yes water damage is covered!' but what they mean is, 'water damage from floods, or rainfall that happens to get into the house'.
The water from your tank is waste-water, and not 'natural'. Which I've yet to see any company cover.

The only way you'll be covered, despite companies saying no, is personal liability.
So if/when it happens, you'll need to be the reason for the misfortune.
"I broke my tank", "I forgot to turn off the hose filling the tank", stuff like that.

Of course just because they put 2 sentences directly next to each other, doesn't mean they're lying. It means you didn't read the policy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back