• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Who's planning to be part of the R2R Secret Santa fun this year??

Will you be joining the R2R Secret Santa fun this year?

• YES! I'll sign up! (Be sure to subscribe to the hashtag)

Votes: 95 74.8%
  • No. Probably not this year.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Not sure yet...but I'm thinking about it...

Votes: 29 22.8%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

Mayor of Reef2Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Fragtacular Sale

Crabs McJones

Mayor of Reef2Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
What kinds of things do people normally send? Frags? Helpful dry goods?
Mainly dry goods, however you can opt in for live goods :) and it doesnt even have to be reefing related. I got a bunch of star wars stuff from a member a couple years ago, it was really sweet!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Daniel@R2R

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
What kinds of things do people normally send? Frags? Helpful dry goods?
Mostly it's dry goods and other kinds of gifts. Some did send frags last year and Santa and Hermey helped coordinate that. Also, some gifts include non-reef stuff. I got cookies and other great snacks from my Secret Santa one year. Most gifts are bought, but I've seen a few that were homemade too and very cool! Sky's the limit!

Tired

View Badges
Reaction score
Okay, cool. I'm in.

I suggest that, when people are signing up, they should be asked some details about what gifts they like. I don't know how much detail people went into last year. My questions for someone would be, do they have any allergies to food or candle scents? If they're interested in live goods, what tank do they have that said goods could go in?

I would also suggest that maybe, if it wouldn't be too much trouble for the mods, people could privately say what they might gift. The ideal would be that the mods could match up, say, a person who mentions that they like cookies with a person who says they can bake cookies. Or a person who mentions they have a zoa tank for things to go in, could be matched with a person who says they want to send zoas.

I would additionally say that live goods should probably not be sent right around Christmas. Shipping delays and all that. When are things normally sent, anyway? Early December is probably the closest to Christmas I'd want to send something that actually needs to get there fast.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
what kind of gifts are they?
Cars, houses, boats , campers and i wish

Typically reef related or someone’s wish list at least $20 value

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm new to the hobby, but would love to participate! Is there anything I can start doing now to prepare?
Watch for sales of useable items through BRS, aquarium specialties and similar

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
I would love to participate in this!
Would hand made art count? I do semi-realistic painting and sculpture that I could potentially make for someone, of that would be allowed.
Of coarse. I saw some of that last year as well.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Kellie in CA

View Badges
Reaction score
So much fun last year! There is a thread where people show what they received, it's really fun to look through. Some Santas went all out and spoiled their recipient.
For those asking... you basically make a "wish list" of ideas through the Elfster app for your Santa so they have an idea what you need/like.

OP
Daniel@R2R

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Do people put little interest tags or something for their secret santas? I like sending gifts I know the recipient would like, and I'd feel bad if I misjudge a gift
Yep! We have a questionnaire and we also use the Elfster.com website for people to make wishlists (there'll be more instructions for this when we get the official registration started). So you'll have plenty of ideas for what to get. :)
Okay, cool. I'm in.

I suggest that, when people are signing up, they should be asked some details about what gifts they like. I don't know how much detail people went into last year. My questions for someone would be, do they have any allergies to food or candle scents? If they're interested in live goods, what tank do they have that said goods could go in?

I would also suggest that maybe, if it wouldn't be too much trouble for the mods, people could privately say what they might gift. The ideal would be that the mods could match up, say, a person who mentions that they like cookies with a person who says they can bake cookies. Or a person who mentions they have a zoa tank for things to go in, could be matched with a person who says they want to send zoas.

I would additionally say that live goods should probably not be sent right around Christmas. Shipping delays and all that. When are things normally sent, anyway? Early December is probably the closest to Christmas I'd want to send something that actually needs to get there fast.
We do use a questionnaire, and I'd love your feedback on the questions and if you think we should add more. Here is what we used last year:
  1. What is your shirt size?
  2. What are your favorite foods or snacks? Any allergies or special considerations that need to be kept in mind?
  3. What is your gender?
  4. What are your hobbies or other interests?
  5. What is your favorite color?
  6. What is your favorite fish?
  7. What is your favorite coral?
  8. Would you be interested in receiving livestock? If yes, what would you be interested in? *disclaimer due to the busy holiday season we recommend not shipping livestock*
I would love to participate in this!
Would hand made art count? I do semi-realistic painting and sculpture that I could potentially make for someone, of that would be allowed.
That sounds awesome!! Definitely a great gift!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 268 42.7%
  • Every Month

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 82 13.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 87 13.9%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 63 10.0%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.8%