Whose growing Ulva intestinalis?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled upon Ulva intestinalis by chance a few years back after I was sent some from the Island of Guernsey by a friend who at the time didn't know what algae it was. Ulva intestinalis grows around the world inc the US and Canada. Ulva intestinalis can be found growing in rock pools attached to rocks on the beach and even attached to jettys and the like.
Given the right conditions it grows at a phenomenal rate ip to 2" in 24 hours.in my ATS. The fronds can be broad leaf or quite stringy.
I harvest my ATS of Ulva weekly and I save some to feed my fish inc 2 tangs. I attach the ulva using a letuce clip to the front glass and even my cleaner wrasse will peck at it. The tangs and my foxface make short work of it.
I adapted the 7 point screen on my ATS to make it easier for the Ulva to attach by opening the holes every so often then threaded short lengths of Ulva through.
IME Ulva intestinalis is the best algae to grow in a waterfall ATS.
Who else grows this algae and how do you rate it along with what are you growing it in, perhaps even a fuge?

20201221_135247.jpg 20201221_135235.jpg 20201130_112630.jpg

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had macroalgae tank that I grew it. Was great and the growth was impressive. Noticed both copepods and amphipods seemed to favour it.

I'm busy setting my my Waterbox 90.3 marine x and will probably use it in the fuge.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had macroalgae tank that I grew it. Was great and the growth was impressive. Noticed both copepods and amphipods seemed to favour it.

I'm busy setting my my Waterbox 90.3 marine x and will probably use it in the fuge.
Not heard of many if any growing it in a algae culture tank. Thanks you your input.

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing the Ulva lactuce variant of Water Lettuce, and it grows so very fast.
I have tried repeadedly to grow Chaeto but got nowhere with it, despite using the chaeto nutrients.
However, my Ulva is a nutrient sponge powerhouse.
... Not come across your type before.
As long as it can be kept out of the main tank, it is hard to beat the Ulva species.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing the Ulva lactuce variant of Water Lettuce, and it grows so very fast.
I have tried repeadedly to grow Chaeto but got nowhere with it, despite using the chaeto nutrients.
However, my Ulva is a nutrient sponge powerhouse.
... Not come across your type before.
As long as it can be kept out of the main tank, it is hard to beat the Ulva species.
No problem with intestinalis getting into the tank if you have the likes of tangs

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not heard of many if any growing it in a algae culture tank. Thanks you your input.
My nano was initially a temperate macroalgae tank with only locally sourced material. Ulva intestinalis is widespread here so made sense to add it. This is a pic from when it was initially set up so algae hadn't grown in yet.
20200803_211837.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano was initially a temperate macroalgae tank with only locally sourced material. Ulva intestinalis is widespread here so made sense to add it. This is a pic from when it was initially set up so algae hadn't grown in yet.
20200803_211837.jpg
Yes it grows around the world, in different salinity, temperatures and light. That's probably why it grows so well in our ATS and the likes.
Here it is local to me growing round the edge of a marina. Water wasn't very clear that day.
20200918_142734.jpg

Ramses0314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is growing all over my rock.... looks sort of like Ulva but more stringy

Attachments

• 8D072E4C-78CA-4841-B345-B10BF76EEBF4.jpeg
    8D072E4C-78CA-4841-B345-B10BF76EEBF4.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is growing all over my rock.... looks sort of like Ulva but more stringy
Difficult to say. However it looks shorter than Ulva intestinalis unless you have Herbivores that are grazing on it. Ulva grows very fast and quite long.

Sidharth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello My name is Sidharth I am a high school student and my friend and I started a research project involving Ulva intestinalis, and were wondering if we could get any tips on how to start growing it.

the tank we will be growing it in is 1 gallon and has no filtration or flow

any tips we can get will be helpful.

thank you
Sidharth

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello My name is Sidharth I am a high school student and my friend and I started a research project involving Ulva intestinalis, and were wondering if we could get any tips on how to start growing it.

the tank we will be growing it in is 1 gallon and has no filtration or flow

any tips we can get will be helpful.

thank you
Sidharth
Most people ( me included) grow Ulva intestinalis in a Waterfall Algae Turf scrubber. They aren't so difficult to make esp as it's an experiment in school. You will need a pump some 3/4" pipework a elbows, stop ends and something to connect it to the pump.
You will also need a screen to grow tge ulva on and lighting. I suggest you do a little research on YouTube where you will find lots of simple designs if you decide to go down that route.
Good luck with your project.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing it in my display tank along with other varieties of macroalgae. The ulva requires a minimum of weekly pruning or else it will take all the nutrients from the other species. It has a beautiful green color and it's easy to prune so I don't mind.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing it in my display tank along with other varieties of macroalgae. The ulva requires a minimum of weekly pruning or else it will take all the nutrients from the other species. It has a beautiful green color and it's easy to prune so I don't mind.
You are the first person I have heard of purposely growing Ulva intestinalis in the DT. I assume you have correctly identified it as intestinalis and not Lacuta.
I have a very small amount of it growing on my weir which my mimic tang keeps in check..

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the first person I have heard of purposely growing Ulva intestinalis in the DT. I assume you have correctly identified it as intestinalis and not Lacuta.
I have a very small amount of it growing on my weir which my mimic tang keeps in check..
I am pretty sure it's the variety you said because it grows in long trailing fronds, but I do not know my varieties real well. I will take a pic for you. I just pinched it back a day ago and I keep it short so it doesn't flow into the gorg or the nems and also so it does not suck up all my nutrients. It grows incredibly fast.. I love all macroalgae and even have cheato in my display.
IMG_20230310_164951298.jpg
16792595346291578416567618053812.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it's the variety you said because it grows in long trailing fronds, but I do not know my varieties real well. I will take a pic for you. I just pinched it back a day ago and I keep it short so it doesn't flow into the gorg or the nems and also so it does not suck up all my nutrients. It grows incredibly fast.. I love all macroalgae and even have cheato in my display.
IMG_20230310_164951298.jpg
16792595346291578416567618053812.jpg
Looks good and yes similar to intestinalis which can grow long and thin or broader as in your pic's

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back