Why 14 days of copper for new fish and not 7 days?

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read about the life cycle of ich, they usually fall off the fish in 3 days but can be 7 days as well in some cases. And 4 days for velvet.

Assuming worst case 7 days scenario and if we are transferring fish to a sterile environment afterwards, why do we need to treat fish with copper for 14 days. Wouldn't 7-8 days be enough?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read about the life cycle of ich, they usually fall off the fish in 3 days but can be 7 days as well in some cases. And 4 days for velvet.

Assuming worst case 7 days scenario and if we are transferring fish to a sterile environment afterwards, why do we need to treat fish with copper for 14 days. Wouldn't 7-8 days be enough?

For the utmost precaution, if there was a strain that needed more time for instance.

But yes 8 days would most likely work, however the least I would do is 10 to be safe.

The old saying nothing happens fast in reefing holds true here, it’s better to go longer and not have to worry:)

good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see I just answered another question from you related to this:

Cupramine can be dosed for 14 days, Coppersafe and Copper Power are milder, but therefore need to be treated for 30 days.

Tomonts are not affected by copper, and can easily remain unhatched for two weeks, so you need to catch the theronts that emerge from them.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomonts are not affected by copper, and can easily remain unhatched for two weeks, so you need to catch the theronts that emerge from them
That's only if you're keeping fish in copper QT for longer? If you plan to transfer fish to a sterile environment, you are only worried about the trophonts (which may as be invisible inside gills of fish) which will stay on fish for a maximum of 7 days. So after 7 days theoretically fish are free from ich as copper kills any free swimmers?

I get your logic about keeping on copper for 30 days to catch the full life cycle and when you only have 1 QT tank but my question was when you have 2 QT tanks.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's only if you're keeping fish in copper QT for longer? If you plan to transfer fish to a sterile environment, you are only worried about the trophonts (which may as be invisible inside gills of fish) which will stay on fish for a maximum of 7 days. So after 7 days theoretically fish are free from ich as copper kills any free swimmers?

I get your logic about keeping on copper for 30 days to catch the full life cycle and when you only have 1 QT tank but my question was when you have 2 QT tanks.

Oops yes my post was assuming a transfer to sterile QT, Which IMO should always be done with copper treatment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The trouble is that due to copper toxicity issues decades ago, copper formulations have been made to be milder. I’ve seen active ich on fish that have been in full copper for over two weeks, so the timing of the life cycle goes out the window then.
Jay

Back