Why am I still getting dinos?

sffinn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with dinos for about 2 months now I've done hydrogen peroxide with a blackout for 3 days and been dosing microbacter for a month and a half and vibrant for about 3 weeks now and they always seem to come back. I am not starting do dose DinoX every other day, but it looks like they are still growing. My nitrates and phosphates are detectable, with my nitrates being approximately 5 and the phosphates being just about 0.25, and the tank is about 4 months old. I have the API saltwater tester and I'm not sure if its inaccurate or not but they seem to still be growing but not as fast. Also curious about your guy's dino stories and what you guys did to get rid of them.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here check this out my journey that got rid of dinos I’m in this thread

OP
OP
S

sffinn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 36

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinos are normal in a new tank you see alittle of everything my guess is whatever your doing is making it worse. Vibrant should not be used in a new tank dinox should not be used in a new tank stop dosing h202.
remove all gfo, chemipure you may be using an let the tank do its thing you may or may not have a huge algae outbreak when the tank can actually maintain simple algae it just has to make it there first or not

don't put the cart before the horse the tank needs nutrients more than you think

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll make the assumption you started with dry rock and sand. Either way here is my theory. To get rid of these things, other things have to out compete them. They are like weeds, needing very little to survive. Low PO4 and NO3 is good for them because that is what their competition needs to flourish. I don't see much value in MB7 as a help since it's just a handful of nitrifiers. Look at a biome test test of a healthy tank and there are dozens of different bacterias. I believe this is the key. Like a thick flourishing lawn keeps the weeds suppressed, a thriving bacteria and microfauna population keeps the dinos suppressed. If you have dinos, your tank isn't healthy and diverse down at the micro level.

I had a dry rock tank with zero PO4 and NO3 and the dinos were unbeatable. No matter how much I would beat them back, in 48 hours they were as prolific as ever. Raising PO4 and NO3 had no affect, since there was no diversity in the tank to use it. Tank was taken down to be upgraded.

This time I started with dry rock, but ordered 15 pounds of live sand out of the gulf. While I was waiting for the new tank, I set up my rocks in a trough with heater and powerhead, and poured the live sand all over them. I feed it with fish food every few days for a couple of months. It's been 8 months since I set up the tank and so far it's been just some minor algae problems. Live rock would be better, but I wanted to avoid the pest, and figured the sand would give me most of the bacteria diversity. Live rock or sand is the best way to tip the balance in my opinion, then keep detectable PO3 and NO3 so your good bacteria can hold down the fort and run the dinos out of town. Good luck.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because 2 months is nothing time wise in the battle for dinos?

Most people get an outbreak, fight it back, it shows up again, they beat it down, cycle repeats sometimes for over a year. It's frustrating, but just how those nasty lil buggers go... Hang in there, follow the mega thread, do what they say, and you'll win eventually.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back