Why are all Tanks of the month SPS dominant?

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Softies can be beautiful too cant they?

Not trying to offend or start arguments but just really wondering why.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that it's because SPS are the "thing" right now. Just about everyone wants them, and just about everyone's got them. SPS systems are also more complex, and make for more interesting articles as there is more to talk about. Few people today take the route of softies anyways, so there are many fewer tanks that feature them. I wish there were more, though!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Many reasons for this, but one big one is that in large part the reef keeping hobby has made a sharp left turn from it's original roots which was to keep as true a representation of various parts of the natural reef as possible in captivity.

This 'reef tank challenge' is probably the best example I've seen highlighting the original 'natural' vs. more current trends:

I think it's fair to say that for most newer reef keepers Giovanni's system would be more the ideal, but for old salt reefers Julian's system would be much appreciated as a more natural representation of an actual part of the reef.

The specialized day-glo/highlighter Acro/SPS systems are where the majority interest is these days and where the most 'ching-ching' is made due to most of these systems being relatively complex and costly (and their attractive bright colors, of course). So I would expect them to dominate the TOTM for a good while to come.

Last edited:

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me propose to R2R to create a “Softie Reef of the Month”! I’ve seen some incredible softie tanks, nem tanks, and mixed reef tanks not only in this forum but on social media sites as well. We gotta spread the love so beginners know that there are alternatives in this hobby.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is TOTM chosen?
I believe it’s chosen by the majority vote for the main part and then I believe mods vote for the tanks they prefer then the one with the most votes is the TOTM.
Also, to the OP. I totally agree, I would love to see more variation in TOTM tanks. I myself have a larger Softie/LPS heavy tank. My smaller tank is SPS heavy (With a few none SPS coral), I love SPS tanks I won’t lie however seeing so many SPS only tanks is a shame.
Here’s my 4’ tank for example. I wish we saw more tanks that went this route as I personally believe for them to be 10 times more natural and you don’t aim for the fake colours, instead you aim for the natural colours and maybe some of the duller coloured coral (I plan to have some less fluorescent coloured SPS and more of the natural/muted coloured SPS such as Pink Birdsnest). It just makes the tank look nicer and it’s fun to have a tank that doesn’t have to have you panic about it 24/7.
D31E251C-37DE-4A8D-8892-40341CA061EF.jpeg

And yes, you do still get those beautiful colours you see in SPS if you choose rightly!
63D1C9CD-D7F0-4C07-80B0-7483BE87969B.jpeg

C24A77C1-8C04-4EBF-9972-B81D3D3D1653.jpeg

5A62BD70-E206-4F14-A4FA-546AE186EFE4.jpeg

B36BF230-8CC6-448A-9A22-8C9D167AA7F1.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It gets kinda boring doesn't it?

Probably just due to popularity and there being maybe more SPS tanks?

Also making a good scaped/looking softy tank may be more difficult (I don't mean to grow ofc). Sticks are everywhere but softies can be hard to collect outside of the main common ones. That doesn't explain LPS tho...

Featuring more soft and LPS tanks now and again would probably be inspiring for newer reefers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think we’ll put! As much as I like looking at clean, well planned out, and colorful SPS tanks I find the natural look and movement of softie tanks is far more appealing and relaxing for me!
3E762A48-2A2B-48C8-80D1-D6D52F21D2D0.jpeg
I’m still fighting the urge to throw an anemone into mine haha, I have a clam growing out (And we’ll hope that my wrasses and CBB don’t look at this deresa as a hefty snack) though.
Your tank is stunning to look at! Bet it’s even nicer under blues though.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s chosen by the majority vote for the main part and then I believe mods vote for the tanks they prefer then the one with the most votes is the TOTM.
Also, to the OP. I totally agree, I would love to see more variation in TOTM tanks. I myself have a larger Softie/LPS heavy tank. My smaller tank is SPS heavy (With a few none SPS coral), I love SPS tanks I won’t lie however seeing so many SPS only tanks is a shame.
Here’s my 4’ tank for example. I wish we saw more tanks that went this route as I personally believe for them to be 10 times more natural and you don’t aim for the fake colours, instead you aim for the natural colours and maybe some of the duller coloured coral (I plan to have some less fluorescent coloured SPS and more of the natural/muted coloured SPS such as Pink Birdsnest). It just makes the tank look nicer and it’s fun to have a tank that doesn’t have to have you panic about it 24/7.
D31E251C-37DE-4A8D-8892-40341CA061EF.jpeg

And yes, you do still get those beautiful colours you see in SPS if you choose rightly!
63D1C9CD-D7F0-4C07-80B0-7483BE87969B.jpeg

C24A77C1-8C04-4EBF-9972-B81D3D3D1653.jpeg

5A62BD70-E206-4F14-A4FA-546AE186EFE4.jpeg

B36BF230-8CC6-448A-9A22-8C9D167AA7F1.jpeg
What is the encrusting green coral?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think well put! As much as I like looking at clean, well planned out, and colorful SPS tanks I find the natural look and movement of softie tanks is far more appealing and relaxing for me!
3E762A48-2A2B-48C8-80D1-D6D52F21D2D0.jpeg

Beautiful... I can't wait for mine to grow in that much to where I can't see the rock or back anymore :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides a certain type of tank getting TOTM, I've noticed most are large to very large systems. While these are indeed impressive, quality medium to smaller sized systems would make the TOTM more interesting, IMO

yes, I was thinking this also. That there isn't many nano's or pico's either. Variety is the spice of life so they say!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the encrusting green coral?
Assuming you mean the top one, that’s a Green Rhodactis Mushroom. The other corals/Inverts in closer up photos are;
- Green Mini Maxi Anemone
- (Toxic?) Green Kenya
- Ricordea yuma

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still fighting the urge to throw an anemone into mine haha, I have a clam growing out (And we’ll hope that my wrasses and CBB don’t look at this deresa as a hefty snack) though.
Your tank is stunning to look at! Bet it’s even nicer under blues though.
Thanks! The Mags love the white 10K T5’s so I lose a lot of color, but when they turn off and the heavy blues come on it is much more colorful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back