Why are all Tanks of the month SPS dominant?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Softies can be beautiful too cant they?

Not trying to offend or start arguments but just really wondering why.
Yeah most of them are, but some are LPS....I got reef tank 365 one time (not sure if the same as tank of the month), and I have mostly LPS and a few SPS. I agree it must be the difficulty in keeping all SPS...and work involved. Just my 2 cents....:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think well put! As much as I like looking at clean, well planned out, and colorful SPS tanks I find the natural look and movement of softie tanks is far more appealing and relaxing for me!
3E762A48-2A2B-48C8-80D1-D6D52F21D2D0.jpeg
Very nice!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, whilst you may feel more reward with SPS tanks, they really don’t have the movement an LPS/Softie tank does. This is why I went for a small SPS tank but large LPS/Softie Tank. I personally prefer my LPS & Softies but when it comes to inverts my clams are number 1. ‘Soon’ they may be in the Softie tank and hopefully look good. Here’s a few photos of the softie side! I have Atleast 13 fish in this tank and I doubt the SPS systems would enjoy that long term
77FA21AE-593A-4F9D-B5A3-026173C0144E.jpeg

FE233996-C227-4C03-8CDC-2A3021E276B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the perception that an expensive tank is the best tank. This is why kids have Ferarri or Bugatti posters on their bedroom walls and not Corvettes. People think SPS takes the most expensive, high tech equipment to keep without knowing how much some torches go for and how similar keeping all coral really is. My 2c.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are TOM most if not all of the time sps dominant? Why arent softy only or lps tanks ever TOM and not just here but in many sites?

Softies can be beautiful too cant they?

Not trying to offend or start arguments but just really wondering why.
people like radioactive glowsticks because they remind them of raves they went to when they were younger

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is the pinnacle. All it takes to keep a softy/LPS tank are water changes.
Honestly, I disagree with this, I still have to dose into my tank even though it’s only LPS/Softies. And when we have so many leathers you may struggle with chemicals and issues when they shed or get fragged which cause you to run Carbon. Then you have the issue of some being more dangerous next to eachother than others for example I have a Torch (I think it may actually be a cristata) which can’t go near my other corals. Then the issue of getting the wrong coral with the wrong fish is higher as well - Zoas are often a huge feast to some fish and so can some LPS.

Meanwhile in SPS systems you dose, don’t risk chemical warfare even when coral are rather close to eachother. Also the risk of fish predators is lower as fish tend to just nip some polyps over eat an entire coral. Then the majority can be near eachother as long as you make sure they won’t fight over growing territory. These corals are also less likely to become host to the common fish/inverts we keep which won’t cause them as much stress.
Obviously, SPS do have their difficulties such as price tags but it’s not as hard as LPS/Softies once you get them growing IME.
The Softies/LPS risk issues even when they’re growing and/or thriving.

This is simply my experience and whilst i realise you may not believe that LPS/Softies are no where as hard as SPS can be, I figured I’d write this for others that may believe this.
And I am an owner of both an LPS/Softie tank and a SPS tank. This is my SPS tank (My LPS tank is above in post #84).
29B8F66A-4378-4071-B700-F5585759DC2A.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It takes an obsession and a balance between art and science to grow out and color up an acropora tank.

Hey Bob,
I fully get what you are saying, most aquarists have no idea what it takes to keep acros alive and healthy, but colorful is next level, this is something I think people assume just happens ;)

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I disagree with this, I still have to dose into my tank even though it’s only LPS/Softies. And when we have so many leathers you may struggle with chemicals and issues when they shed or get fragged which cause you to run Carbon. Then you have the issue of some being more dangerous next to eachother than others for example I have a Torch (I think it may actually be a cristata) which can’t go near my other corals. Then the issue of getting the wrong coral with the wrong fish is higher as well - Zoas are often a huge feast to some fish and so can some LPS.

Meanwhile in SPS systems you dose, don’t risk chemical warfare even when coral are rather close to eachother. Also the risk of fish predators is lower as fish tend to just nip some polyps over eat an entire coral. Then the majority can be near eachother as long as you make sure they won’t fight over growing territory. These corals are also less likely to become host to the common fish/inverts we keep which won’t cause them as much stress.
Obviously, SPS do have their difficulties such as price tags but it’s not as hard as LPS/Softies once you get them growing IME.
The Softies/LPS risk issues even when they’re growing and/or thriving.

This is simply my experience and whilst i realise you may not believe that LPS/Softies are no where as hard as SPS can be, I figured I’d write this for others that may believe this.
And I am an owner of both an LPS/Softie tank and a SPS tank. This is my SPS tank (My LPS tank is above in post #84).
29B8F66A-4378-4071-B700-F5585759DC2A.jpeg
you should get some baerium

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It takes an obsession and a balance between art and science to grow out and color up an acropora tank.
I owned all and had to dose for all. The only real difference is PAR, flow and dosing. Otherwise, the level of difficulty is the same.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bob,
I fully get what you are saying, most aquarists have no idea what it takes to keep acros alive and healthy, but colorful is next level, this is something I think people assume just happens ;)
I think they do but they don't realize it because of the assumption that it's hard to keep acros, which makes people fuss over their tank too much and leads to tank-crashing mistakes being made. When a reefer assumes their softies only need a water change every so often and maybe a weekly alk check, that's all they do and the tank thrives because "I can't kill this GSP, so whatever". Instead for their acro tank, they adjust things on a daily basis, fuss with lighting and flow and dose WAY too many things after freaking out over the results of their weekly ICP test because they believe it needs it when it really doesn't. Had they just taken the "softie" approach, they'd be much better off.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they do but they don't realize it because of the assumption that it's hard to keep acros, which makes people fuss over their tank too much and leads to tank-crashing mistakes being made. When a reefer assumes their softies only need a water change every so often and maybe a weekly alk check, that's all they do and the tank thrives because "I can't kill this GSP, so whatever". Instead for their acro tank, they adjust things on a daily basis because they believe it needs it when it really doesn't. Had they just taken the "softie" approach, they'd be much better off.
I agree with this 1000%!!

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they do but they don't realize it because of the assumption that it's hard to keep acros, which makes people fuss over their tank too much and leads to tank-crashing mistakes being made. When a reefer assumes their softies only need a water change every so often and maybe a weekly alk check, that's all they do and the tank thrives because "I can't kill this GSP, so whatever". Instead for their acro tank, they adjust things on a daily basis because they believe it needs it when it really doesn't. Had they just taken the "softie" approach, they'd be much better off.

I get what you are saying, and don't think there is a shortage of people trying sps/acros, just visit the sps forum, many folks struggle. I would agree that those new to keeping sps tend to go way overboard, I shake my head. Some with a 1% coral mass with $5k of unnecessary crap, all in anticipation of keeping acros. I use a DA Reefkeeper Lite as my controller, I use a bubble magus dosing pump to automate 2 part. Inkbird for 2 way temp control, Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 pro and 4 t5's, and have an acro dominant reef. How about an I-tech 200 protein skimmer from 2005ish with a tunze hydrofoamer pump. A 10 year old tunze return pump. Nothing fancy here, but I can color up some acros ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My comment was removed by moderators interesting…
Your comment was removed by a mod because you said the ROTM was "whoever donated the most money that month."

That comment is a complete fabrication. The only way members give to R2R is via our partner drive, supporting memberships or buy merch. People can't buy their way into being a ROTM.

I think you understand why. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a sucker for LPS and Soft tanks so if you all see tanks that should be nominated please do so!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you are saying, and don't think there is a shortage of people trying sps/acros, just visit the sps forum, many folks struggle. I would agree that those new to keeping sps tend to go way overboard, I shake my head. Some with a 1% coral mass with $5k of unnecessary crap, all in anticipation of keeping acros. I use a DA Reefkeeper Lite as my controller, I use a bubble magus dosing pump to automate 2 part. Inkbird for 2 way temp control, Reefbreeders Photon V2 32 pro and 4 t5's, and have an acro dominant reef. How about an I-tech 200 protein skimmer from 2005ish with a tunze hydrofoamer pump. A 10 year old tunze return pump. Nothing fancy here, but I can color up some acros ;)
What many don't realize is you can keep acros easily and on a budget as long as you have reasonable expectations. Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any tank to be fully automated, especially not on a budget. I would actually say it's irresponsible to start this way because it instills an overreliance on technology over basic hands-on reef keeping and good husbandry practices. You don't have to do a lot. Just enough and only when actually needed.

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What many don't realize is you can keep acros easily and on a budget as long as you have reasonable expectations. Personally, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any tank to be fully automated, especially not on a budget. I would actually say it's irresponsible to start this way because it instills an overreliance on technology over basic hands-on reef keeping and good husbandry practices. You don't have to do a lot. Just enough and only when actually needed.

I hear you, I think we really agree on most points :) I don't personally run a budget tank, but would rather use my funds towards corals.
Cheers

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is because the majority of the TOM that are SPS, are mature tanks (3+ years) with corals that were grow from frag size into colonies. When I look at a mature tank, I look for corals that have been growing for years. Sadly you don't see too many LPS/softies that are around for many years and huge colonies. Not saying they don't exist but is not that common around here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back